Put up your dukes! RB25 is the best bang for the buck!

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
Onizuka
Car: 91 coupe w/s13 SR20DET 89 hatch w/s14 SR20DE

APEXi240 wrote: Way to talk down to someone who JUST stated that they are making over 300whp:rolleyes . If YOU read all the posts you'd realize the change in your opinions and misinformation you state. Good job!

I dont talk down on people. I was stating that themadscientist had already proven me wrong.

I dont change my opinion. here let me state it again for you to read:

"I think the RB25 is a great engine, but not THAT great of an engine" as in- its not the ultimat do-anything engine as people were implying.

dreamsOfSkylines

Threre is no perfect engine, but in my opinion the rb series comes pretty close. Its powerful, reliable, and compact. Oh yeah and a streetable powerband that still has good peak HP.

sprstu
Car: cars, the simpsons, bmx, snowboarding, skateboarding, cars, everything

so yeah, just wondering, has anyone done an RB swap into a 240 on there own, i mean not in a shop? bc i am looking for something for my 240. i bought it from a junk yard and it was pretty gutted. i am debating if i want the red top or the RB25, but if the RB is going to be a behotch to get in i would want to do the sr. so yeah any thoughts?

Imissmyturbo
Car: Car's, Turbo's, sking

J-spec:

I am planin doing the RB swap in the next month or two. If you want I live in Lancaster PA and when it is done you can come check it out.

Onizuka

i would love to come see it when it is done.

like i said I am a fan of the rb series, but i have my doubts about the rb25.

When I see some cold hard facts (i.e. dyno sheets, exact parts list) then i will belive everything you guys are saying.

Onizuka

NightXCZ77 wrote:My Car with RB25DET in it: http://240Skyline.nissanpower.com simple as that. I didn't do that swap in a shop, I did it in my driveway. The RB25DET is just as easy as the SR is to get in, no real modification required....read the FAQ section I have posted on my site, it may answer some questions.

Night360-672-2415 Call if you have any questions.

Cool, you see, you have me more convinced now.

EDIT: it does look a tad harder to install if you are lifting the engine into the car from underneth.

perpetual gyro

Quote »I like the rb20 because it is difforent, nobody else has it over here. But with my budget i am forced to settle with an sr20det. Hey its better than nothing...[/quote]The RB20 is actually cheaper than the SR. I will be getting the 20 in the next few months or so...can't wait. :D

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

NightXCZ77 wrote:plastic......man, no compressor is plastic. This was a similar topic on FreshAlloy. They might be carbon composite, but not plastic. Plastic would shred instantly unless it was super plastic. I have a R33 turbo....not the new R34 T28's.....not looking for a fight, just saying that there is no way the wheel is plastic.

Night
The wheel in the early model R33 GTS-T turbo is P.L.A.S.T.I.C. It is obviously not Matchbox car window plastic, call it "resin" or "composite", whatever but it's just a fancy word for plastic. You have the later model R33 GTS-T turbo, the superior model, be glad, trust me. I know you are having to go on faith but I held it in my hand, I poked it, twisted it, threw it against the wall, Mad knows plastic when he sees it. Nissan quickly axed that idea, good move.

Onizuka

themadscientist wrote:The wheel in the early model R33 GTS-T turbo is P.L.A.S.T.I.C. It is obviously not Matchbox car window plastic, call it "resin" or "composite", whatever but it's just a fancy word for plastic. You have the later model R33 GTS-T turbo, the superior model, be glad, trust me. I know you are having to go on faith but I held it in my hand, I poked it, twisted it, threw it against the wall, Mad knows plastic when he sees it. Nissan quickly axed that idea, good move.

Did you smell it, bite it, throw it in water to see if it flotes?or how about set it on fire and inhale the fuems?:alcoholic

themadscientist

No actually we gave it a proper christian burial behind the woodshed.

Onizuka

but it wasn't dead yet, it was getting better... ahh never mind. at least it died without being fried.

perpetual gyro

lol. Why is "plastic" given such a negative connotation? There are many mechanical components that are better suited for certain materials. Take ceramics for instance; they have a much higher melting point than metals, and thus are better suited for exteme temperature environments. Whether it's plastic, ceramic, or a composite of the two or more materials, is irrelevent to whether it does what it's meant to do; function and function consistently.

Onizuka

confucious say "plastic good for CD cases and cheap toys, not for compressor turbine":pface

meggala

the wheel is ceramic not plastic the r34's come with a composte plastic and other stuff turbo's btw my r33 turbo has done well over 100,000 klms they also spool much faster than steel they suit engine that arent going to be boosted over 1 bar.If I wanted a modded rb 25 the first thing Iwoudl achange is the turbo adn get a bigger one.meggala

themadscientist

there are two types, one is PLASTIC, one is an alloy of some type.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Hmm...I'm gonna have to go with Ceramic not plastic.

Onizuka

whatever it is, i read it is a nusance when boosting on the stock turbo and the concencus is that it should be replaced when you can do it.

s14=pimpin'

when picking up a RB clip, how would you know if it has a plastic or metal compressor turbine without opening up the motor (if possible)?

we got 94 octane up north! :P

great replies guys!!

Onizuka

s14=pimpin' wrote:we got 94 octane up north! :P

Lucky B@stard........ all i got around me is 91 s*** gas.

perpetual gyro

time to stock up on bottles of octane booster. ;)

YamaOni
Car: Making big rocks smaller

plastic one is black. It's easily seen.

Onizuka

perpetual gyro wrote:time to stock up on bottles of octane booster. ;)

HOMEBREW OCTANE BOOSTER BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

perpetual gyro

I'd sure like to know how to do that. If it can be done, hit me back.

Onizuka

there was some post on it like last week use search. i haven't actually tryed it yet, but im going to while i still got the KA24 im my car so if i mess it up then i get to pester dauntless more about gettin me an engine!

Movingviolation240
Car: Big boost and flying are 2 of the 3 things I can't turn down

J-Spec Tuner wrote:Cool, I saw a picture of a RB20det in a silvia and it just looks like an longer version of the CA18det. Thats what i origionaly wanted but there is no support for it in the USA. I like the rb20 because it is difforent, nobody else has it over here. But with my budget i am forced to settle with an sr20det. Hey its better than nothing...

not to call you stupid, but if you didn't know there are WAY more parts out there for the CA18DET at your local autozone than the SR. Heck you can't even get an SE-R (sr20de) oilfilter at the local nissan dealership in Merritti island.

the CA's all use the same headgasket, bearings, oil pump, waterpump, headbolts, cams, timing belt, CAS, Ignitor, lifters, rods, rings, block (with a slight mod) gasket set..... need I go on?

Try getting an SR waterpump at autozone.......

Paul

pampadori

I bought a sr20de pump. it is going to work once i adjust where the pulley rides. it will take me about 2 minutes to do that. the ca18et has the same cam as the ca18det? heheh i'm just messin with you. so go for the rb.if i could do it over again??? i'd have a ca18det.if i could do it crazier? a q45 v8. or a vg30det with older style manifolds and have the tubo up front so that i could work on it. does anyone have the pic of the s13 with 350ci small block in it?that is cool.

i didn't get a sr20det to be different. i did it because it was cheap. the rb is neat. i can't go back now and change what i have done. i learned to work on the sr. i have lots of money invested already in the sr series. but i am not going to build my sr untill i have the stuff to make 450rwhp. if it blows, i don't give a crap. they are cheap and very easy to replace. the sr is easy to make power with, as is any motor. i have a friend that does everything himself. the thing has a t3t04e turbo and the stock manifold! he is a budget master!

s14=pimpin'

hhhhhhm, maybe I should bottle up the 94 octane stuff and ship it over to you guys?

LOL, thanks for all the info peeps!

Onizuka

Movingviolation240 wrote:not to call you stupid, but if you didn't know there are WAY more parts out there for the CA18DET at your local autozone than the SR. Heck you can't even get an SE-R (sr20de) oilfilter at the local nissan dealership in Merritti island.

the CA's all use the same headgasket, bearings, oil pump, waterpump, headbolts, cams, timing belt, CAS, Ignitor, lifters, rods, rings, block (with a slight mod) gasket set..... need I go on?

Try getting an SR waterpump at autozone.......

Paul

i didn't say anthing about ca18det not having good support here, i was talking about the rb20det which is almost non-exsitant in north america, not to call youstupid or anything :D

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”