Pure gas vs E-10 gas, is it worth the extra cost?

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Recently a new gas station opened in my town offering ethanol free gas at a premium price. Currently the E-10 stuff is priced at $2.69 gal, while the pure gas is $3.29 gal.

Yes, I might get a little bit better mileage and performance with pure gasoline, but to my thinking it's not enough to offset the cost of buying non-ethanol gas. I'm finding it hard to justify paying 60 cents more per gallon to get maybe a 3% increase in mileage.

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

From what I've read, if you have a modern fuel injected car, it's going to run fine on either, as it was designed to do that. So in that case it becomes just like the long dismissed argument "I use premium gas instead of the regular it's designed to run on because my baby is worth it."

But where there might be potential long term issue is with older carbuerator equipped vehicles, including older lawn mowers, engines not designed to run with that ethanol mix. The Ethanol additive is water based and I understand the theory is it might allow moisture into areas it doesn't belong perhaps resulting in premature corrosion.

A chemist is in a better position to discuss this than me.

AlabamaDan
Car: 2015 Infiniti Q70
1998 Infiniti QX4

I know the 94 Q45 experienced issues as the ethanol additive increased. I'm in hopes the 2015 engines are more ethanol tolerant.

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

I run the ethanol free in my mower, motorcycles, and if I can find premium Ethanol free, in my Z. Everything else gets standard.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Ethanol got a lot of hate when it first came out... mostly for the reasons Joel mentioned... it ended up soaking up a bunch of the water that people already had in their fuel systems and caused some issues, along with slightly changing the air fuel ratio on vehicles that don't have a closed loop feedback system (O2 sensor, fuel injection).

Ethanol gas now in modern cars is actually better for everyday use than the old stuff. Ethanol does a HELL of a job keeping stuff clean, and keeping that water out of your fuel system/keep it from building up (its essentially what the old bottles of gas line antifreeze were... either that or methanol in the "HEET" version). For non-direct injected cars, it'll keep your intake valves cleaner in the long run. It also reduces combustion chamber and EGT temps when you're beating the snot out of your vehicles.
Honestly I wish more stuff was tuned/built to run on E85, cos I'd totally do it. I used to run a tank or 2 through my Miata and truck every now and then (and tune the ECU accordingly) just to clean stuff out.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Ethanol has lower energy content per volume than gasoline, but the factors Smurf outlined tend to compensate for that. It is a mild octane booster as well.

I've never owned a car new enough to be built with E10+ in mind, but modern stuff is sort of designed around it. Even my freaking Honda-powered lawnmower is ethanolized fuel friendly, and it's got a carburetor.

In the LS8, my unscientific observations show a ~3mpg increase with ethanol-free 91-octane (at relatively high altitudes) vs ethanolized 91 at the same altitudes. These observations were made over a long-distance highway route I travelled tens of dozens of times, and certainly include unaccounted factors. But the LS8's fuel economy is SO consistent with my driving habits that even a 1MPG difference between tanks is pretty unusual unless one tank is 100% highway and the next is 100% city driving.
However, the LS8 also tends to run hot, especially cylinder head temps, so I've always wondered if the side-effects of ethanol in fuel might be beneficial there (increasing octane, lowering combustion temps).

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

3mpg is a pretty decent percentage gain... over 10%, however still doesn't justify the 22% cost increase that was outlined in the original post.

And I was fairly certain there was talk of ethanol blend pretty early, as well as studies done to make sure most modern cars (with closed loop feedback) would be ok to run on ethanol. From what I understand, the studies showed that there was no major issues using E10, but they started to see some with E15. Everything built Model Year 2001 and newer is meant to withstand E15.

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

Bubba1 wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:59 pm
From what I've read, if you have a modern fuel injected car, it's going to run fine on either, as it was designed to do that.

But where there might be potential long term issue is with older carbuerator equipped vehicles, including older lawn mowers, engines not designed to run with that ethanol mix. The Ethanol additive is water based and I understand the theory is it might allow moisture into areas it doesn't belong perhaps resulting in premature corrosion.
From personal experience, My snowblower is meant to run on non ethanol gas.
It even says in the owners manual not to rum e10, and it's only 3 years old.
I ran it once with regular gas, 10% ethanol, by mistake, and it ran like crap.
I drained the tank and filled it up with ethanol free premium gas. Huge difference.
As for my car(s), they run fine on just about any grade of gas, with no real noticeable difference.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

gas money.jpg

Return to “General Chat”