Purchased a New Computer (ASUS EEEPC 1201N)

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
JimmyMethod
Car: 97' 240SX SE

Just got confirmation that it'll be here in a couple days.It was on backorder (since no stores carry it for some really stupid reason) for about two weeks.

Pretty slick. It's halfway between a netbook and a standard laptop. 12.1" screen, NVIDIA Ion Graphics card with HDMI out, weights around 3.22 lbs, and 2GB RAM with .25TB HD space.

Unfortunately, ASUS stopped offering their EEE PCs with Ubuntu pre-loaded, so I'll probably be dual booting into some Linux distro and Windows 7, but c'est la vie.

Unfortunately, about 3 days after I purchased it, they came out with the 1201NL came out with Express Gate, but I'll live. Of the linux distro's I'm thinking about, they all boot in less that a minute.

Anyway, here's my question: What distro would you recommend?OSs I'm considering:EasyPeasyUbuntu Netbook RemixMoblinEeebuntu

Any experience with any of these? Anything good I've missed?

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

First mod should be a Kingston or Intel solid state drive to replace the stock hard drive, especially if you're running Win7 on it. It'll cost you more than the computer itself did to keep your 250GB capacity if you go SSD, though.

While I have never used a netbook Linux distro, I've been following UNR for a few months and really like what I've seen of it. Feedback for it is pretty positive, too. It's supposed to be one of the better netbook-optimized distros.

JimmyMethod

Easy Peasy is based off UNR, too.

AppleBonker
Car: Useful: 2011 Black Nissan Titan Pro-4x
Daily: 2003 Accord EX-L Coupe
Hers: 2014 Rogue SL AWD

I ran UNR on my Asus netbook (1005) but it was a bit flaky for me. When I tried to use the desktop switcher so I could run multiple desktops (plus I like the look better), I lost my panels. Took a while to correct, but I think the issue is patched now. Either way, after that debacle I decided to just run classic Ubuntu.

I'm currently running Ubuntu 9.10, upgraded to 2 gigs of ram and swapped in an Intel X25-M 80G SSD. Since my SATA interface on the netbook is only 1.5 Gb/s, I'm not able to see the speeds the X25-M is capable of. I'll likely drop that into my desktop later and grab an X25-V for the netbook.

Boot times are pretty fast (haven't timed, but your nb should be faster than mine) and my bottleneck is definitely at the processor. Also, my computer run Compiz decently well, so with the better video you have it shouldn't have any issues.

Before settling on classic Ubuntu, I messed with easy peasy as well - just didn't like it. I didn't try eeebuntu, but I figured Ubuntu was powerful and light enough that it would be perfect. That's what gets my vote!

JimmyMethod

Got it in the mail yesterday... screen was cracked.

*sigh* Now i have to wait yet again...

AppleBonker
Car: Useful: 2011 Black Nissan Titan Pro-4x
Daily: 2003 Accord EX-L Coupe
Hers: 2014 Rogue SL AWD

Sorry to hear that. Where did you buy from? I'm assuming RMA for a replacement unit?

JimmyMethod

Bought it from Best Buy. Shipped with UPS.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

JimmyMethod wrote:Got it in the mail yesterday... screen was cracked.

*sigh* Now i have to wait yet again...
That sucks. Almost thought I had to return a package once when I ordered a Logitech DiNovo Mini. The outer box had a huge gash in it like it got jammed in something. Opened it up in front of the UPS driver and confirmed the product was fine but right up until I confirmed it was okay, I was starting to feel upset that I would have to wait a week for another. I got pretty lucky. Hell, the included CD was shattered into a bunch of pieces. Can't even imagine what the hell happened to the box. The shipping box was quite a bit bigger than the package and its pretty light overall so a fall definitely didn't cause that.

chemao
Car: 2019 Tesla Model 3 - preordered
1997V2 AM General H1 with 6.6L Duramax (LML) running biodiesel swap
2015 Lexus CT200H
2003 Hummer H2 with 6.5L Detroit Turbodiesel swap

Linux sucks hairy sweaty donkey nutsacks. Install Windows.

JimmyMethod

chemao wrote:Linux sucks hairy sweaty donkey nutsacks. Install Windows.
Came with Win7 installed. As a user of Linux, Windows, and OS X, for 10, 20, and 9 years respectively, I'm feel I'm a decent judge, and I'd rather run almost any distro of Linux than have Windows as my only option.

Return to “Computers / Electronics”