Pulsar nx ignition troubles

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
thatpulsargyy
Car: 1989 Pulsar NX SE

thatpulsargyy

Hey guys! Sorry im new to posting on forums :/ I have a 89 pulsar (ca18de) with a misfire coming from the ignition system and im not sure what the best course of action is, heres what ive got so far:

-Sudden misfire, w/ cel saying its the cam position sensor, but the sensor checks out fine
-pull coils to determine if ignition as well as cylinder, turns out cyl 2 has no spark
-swap spk plugs, all plugs are good
-swap coils, all coils ignite
-went through with multimeter on the ignition sub harness and all coils are ground properly, and receiving power
-checked the 4 signal wires right before and right after ignitor (ignition box? Not sure of name) and dont exactly know what i was doing but i got similar readings on all prongs so there was nothing out of the ordinary

I've narrowed it down to either ignitor, ecu, or wiring (sketchy from previous owner) but im not sure how to fully determine whats causing the misfire. The car is my daily driver and i need to get her running as soon as possible. Would i need a new ecu? Ive read about reseting it but thats more for the check engine light rather than a reboot. Would i need a new ignitor? Theyre expensive and really hard to find here in socal (same with new ecu). Can i run an msd ignition as stand alone? Ive looked into it but it seems that if it were to be the ecu it would not help as it only amplifies spark. If i can use it how would i set it up?

Any and all help would be much appreciated thank you!

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

The cam position sensor can be 100% fine but if the connector or wiring is flawed to it you still get that code.

thatpulsargyy

Would the cam position sensor cause the misfire though?

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”