pulling my engine

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
tyler g

im just about to pull my engine and i was wondering do i have to disconnect the transmission or can it stay on? and how do you get the oil pan to clear the p/s rack or do i have to take one out of the engine bay?

vape-one
Car: 1990 300zx

You can pull the whole thing Engine an Trans... Loosen up P/S rack.. It's not to hard of a job unless you don't have a very good engine puller.. I used a old time swing set lol .. I'll show ya a picture..

lmao

alright2020
Car: 92 jeep wrangler with SBC
99 F250 with 7.3 on 25lbs
91 300ZX na>tt>na
03 G35 coupe

i pull my trans first just because ive done it several times and can have teh tranny out in near an hour.... motor pulls up very easy with no trans no need to worry about tilting or anything. i prefer to spend the extra hour for how much easier it becomes

car nut
Car: GT500.

Did you drop the trans out the bottom? Any tips on doing that? Seems like a real b**** to get the top bolts off.

BigTDogg (MA)
Car: 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo

You can pull engine and tranny together, but IMO, it's easier to pull tranny first then pull engine. Because then you can just go from hoist directly to engine stand.

To drop the tranny, loosen the 6 bolts holding the mount, with a floor jack under the mount damper cylinder thingie supporting the weight. Then remove those 6 bolts and slowly lower the transmission down with the jack. Loosen the motor mounts too give you more of an angle (optional). Then use 36" to 40" of extensions and a 14mm swivel socket (the kind with the universal joint built in is best) to remove the upper two bolts. Once you've done it once, it's really not that bad.

A transmission jack is safer and more stable, but with two people, you can remove the tranny with just a floor jack, with the cup placed under the drain hole.

Now getting them back in... That can be fun.

alright2020
Car: 92 jeep wrangler with SBC
99 F250 with 7.3 on 25lbs
91 300ZX na>tt>na
03 G35 coupe

im able to reach my hands all hte way up for the top bolts,... i use a 1/4 inch ratchet with a short 14mm on it... i do it just fine its tight but ive done it enough i got my method...

actually i dont even use a jack lol

i lay under the car on a creeper and i put my knees on the cross brace so each kneecap is in each lil cut then i lift the bellhouseing with my hands and slide it right back and set in on top of me then slide it off... then reverse to put it back in

im also 19 years old so im pretty energetic and more then glad to lift things by hand lol

although using a trans jack and a lift are very usefull

tyler g

ya i just pulled the engine now once the trany is off its a whole lot easier. i even loosened the p/s rack but that was a waste of time. to get the top trany bolts off i just used alot of extensions and a universal on the end it really wasnt as hard as i though it would be

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”