pulleys....

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

does anyone know if there are lightweight pulleys made for the z24? i've searched google and forums but found nothing... however i remember a while back i thought i found some but they weren't for my year

anyway... if not does anyone know if the pulleys are the same size on the z24 as they are on the ka24e or ka24de??? they do make lighter pulleys for those as far as i know so i could steal those and modify if necessary

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

I have a lightweight KA24e pulley. But I don't have the z24 pulley off. The are both based on the same block so I'd say if you wanted to try it get $50 ebay pulley and look. If doesn't work sell it to someone with a 240.

PEZi

yeah that's more or less what i was thinking.... just looking for a little something to make my times a little faster at auto x without changing class

breadbox

My friend steve-o got one a while ago. Better fuel economy and throttle response. I showed him the one I got off ebay and he said it looks identical to his. He just got his egr block off so we'll see what happens with that.

I don't recommend lightened flywheels though. Toyota aftermarket flywheels are usually heavier to stay in the torque band. I just heard about this and it makes sense that a lightened flywheel would rev quicker and drop revs quicker.

Supererogator
Car: 1980 Datsun 720 King Cab

I don't know too many details, but back in the 60's, when my Dad was racing a little Porsche, he had his fly-wheel ground down to lighten it. Yes, faster up and down revs......so much so that at one point a girlfriend he and left the thing and walked home because it kept dying on her.

I don't know if there is any metal to be ground off on these little rice burners, but it might be worth looking into.

PEZi

breadbox wrote: I just heard about this and it makes sense that a lightened flywheel would rev quicker and drop revs quicker.
well that's more or less what i need though is something to get up though the gears quicker for auto x... i'll look into it more

breadbox

dropping revs fast isn't good in my opinion. A heavier flywheel(stock) will stay in the torque band easier than a lightened flywheel.

I usually tell people to lighten either side of the flywheel to engine balance. As in lightened pulleys and aluminum drive shaft with a stock flywheel. Use electric fan to lower rotating mass more. Lightened wheels. Then after that is actually doing stuff to the motor and taking more out of the vehicle.

Return to “Datsun 720”