pulleys

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
KwayKer
Car: My car, video games, sports

Can someone explain to me the whole under pulley/unorthodox pulley thing? Do you just simply replace the stock pulley with the new one, or what? and how do they help? Im sorry to seem so clueless on this subject, but I would like some straight information on this upgrade. Thanks in advance!

juazam_186
Car: Cars & Computers

I read on the 240sx.org forum, on the installs i believe, how that up-grade should go. Visit them, cause they have some good info. on this subject. Peace.:icon18 :patriot

KwayKer

thanx alot, im goin there right now, i have been to the installs section, but dont remember a pulley section....thanks again

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

Well if for some chance it didnt have it. Yes you just replace the stock pulley with the new lightweight pulley on the crank. Works best with a crank pulley puller tool and with the removal of the mechanical fan. If you live in a cool climate and dont use the A/c often then there is no real need for the mechanical fan. Just switch the electric fan to the primary and make it come on when the coolant temp reaches a certain degree. For insurence you can get a new high pressure radiator cap and dual T-Fal fans.

Silvia007
Car: 93 240sx SE Fastback

I heard unorthodox pulley's are bad for the driveshaft. Something about unbalanced weight due to the lighter weight of the pulley and as a result, the driveshaft will grind itself out. That's the only reason that's kept me from doing one.

trpower7

That really isn't true, eliminating equal reciprocating mass shouldn't throw anything off. If you just cut a chunk out of the existing one THAT would cause unequal balance. Think about it, a rotating crank and pulley, coupled with a driveshaft, would not wear unevenly if you did anything unilaterally across a device. For example if you shaved an eigth of an inch off the driveshaft the whole way around evenly then it would be balanced. An Underdrive pulley is primarily what the name says, a pulley that provides about 15% less spin to all your accessory pulleys, however all these are overshot anyway and can deal just fine with that loss. And if you know about the law of reciprocatin mass you know that nothing can help an engine spin faster than lightening the parts that have to spin. ASP makes a pulley that is pretty much the same as the Unorthodox and is cheaper.

Daunttless

I didn't read to closely, so excuse me if its been answered already. But basically an underdrive pulley does exactly what it says. It underdrives the pumps and alternator. This is good because it means that theres less power going to them, but its bad if you do things like big stereos or what not, as your alternator will not be providing enough charge to adequately refresh your battery. Also, its not about unbalancing, that was a problem with the original pulleys, now its a problem with the harmonic balancing. : ) A lot of people have problems with the vibration prone KA and underdrive pulleys. Also, you'll need all new belts and what not to use, and I can't remember the codes for them, but they should be on 240sx.org. : ) Good Luck!

SPIRO

I plan on installing an underdrive pulley, removing my a/c, and replacing my mechanical fan with 2 elctrical ones. I hope to gain a decent anount power back from all of this, but would having this done cause any other problems or is it a 100% good idea? Thanks in advance.

Daunttless

Do you have a big stereo system, if you do and you're underdriving your alternator and running 2 electrical fans all the time, you might have some problems, depends on exactly how much juice you're draining. : ) Good Luck!

MaineExport
Car: Quad racing, import cars and Trucks. Hunting, fishing whatever.

SPIRO wrote:I plan on installing an underdrive pulley, removing my a/c, and replacing my mechanical fan with 2 elctrical ones. I hope to gain a decent anount power back from all of this, but would having this done cause any other problems or is it a 100% good idea? Thanks in advance.
While the power reclaimation is noticable, don't expect too much. The underdrive will lighten the "reciprocating mass" and the electric fans will take some of the load off the engine. I wouldn't bother removing the A/C. Unless it is turned on, it really doesn't offer much resistance.

SPIRO

Thanks for the help! Well my a/c isnt funtioning properly and i never use it anyways so i figure its just weight i'm carying around for no reason. I could probably sell the parts on ebay or something or to a junkyard. It may not be taking too much power from my engine but minimal increases add up.

240sleeper

Hi I just had a major a/c compressor failure and had a remanufactured one put in and I would like to know if slowing down the compressor by installing a pulley would harm it. Remember I live in Phoenix:rolleyes Thanks

MaineExport
Car: Quad racing, import cars and Trucks. Hunting, fishing whatever.

Installing an underdrive pulley shouldn't have any adverse affects on the A/C compressor. Basically it's just going to be running the unit as if you were driving at a few less RPMs. Such a small decrease won't be noticable. If anything it might increase the life of all the moving parts, as they are spinning fewer times.... just a thought.

flip240

For those of you who have installed the lighter crank pulleys, was it worth the money? and was it difficult to do?? I'm probobly thinking of getting the ASP pulley from enjukuracing.com but i'm hesitating b/c it seems kinda hard...

Emperor

Has anyone heard anything about the 4 peice set that UR just put out? Enjuku.com has one pricing at 409 i think. Im just curious if it was worthgetting a whole set or just getting the crank pulley. Would it help that much more? well you know i dont know...

TommyyJ

ditto goes for me on the 4 piece setup....

KwayKer

I just purchased the ASP pulley from enjuku, I'll let you know about install and performance increase.

ash1y1
Car: Cars, Gadgets & Gizmos, Computers, Health, Travel

Ok guys probably yet another dumb question, but since I don't know much, I'm going to ask it anyway.

On my automatic 95SE, is it a good idea to replace with electric fan and get the crank pulley and CAMs? I do have a couple of subs and 2 amps, but aren't really running that much juice. Tell me what you guys think I should do.

Also, I should be receiving my new intake system and extension. What should my second purchase be, third purchase be, fourth and so on. If someone could put together a nice list for me that would be AWESOME! And please list parts that should be bought together next to each other. Thanks

pkcustoms

Flip240, I installed the UR pulley, was it worth it, I guess. Was it hard to complete the mod, I thought it was, but some of that was due to my 97 being an automatic. I am glad I did the mod even if just for the experience.

btw, while your doing the job change the front seal. The seal is only $6 -$10 bucks.

Emperor, I also have the other 3 pulleys from UR but have not installed them. Not sure if they will make a big difference but I wanted to have the complete set. Depends on you goals I think. My car is more show than go......

skydragoness
Car: 03' 350z Touring 6spd
92' 240sx 60k survivor :)

i've somewhat crossed off underdrive pulley from my list of mods for the KA, based on the product reviews i read on 240sx.org, for there to be any doubt that it affects the KA's harmonic balancing makes me wonder if it's worth installing...and most of the more 'positive'reviews of the pulley didn't seem to make that much of a difference in power delivery, hence i'm not doing it. Besides, if i keep the car as long as i plan to, i'll be throwing in the SR, much, much, much, much later.

:D

pancito
Car: CARS!!!

It should make a difference(that is why god invented gears), the most common problem is that people get used to it very quick, a lot of people use only the butt-dyno to guess HP gains from mods.

it's difficult to do a list of the actual path of mods, we can all chip in and see the basic mods and do "stages for mods" but that is a big discussion all by it self.

Who says a $300 header is stage 1 or stage 2?What you want to do in the long run? FI or NA.

You get the drift right?

When you mod your car, everyone will tell you "Since your changing this, do this also and this" and a simple $100 mod will turn in to a engine overhaul in no time, just plan everything and do the things yourself(if you can) and if you have to do it again to change something else do it again. Unless you have the money of course...

Camel
Car: That would be obvious....

Did anyone ever complete the 4 piece install of the UR pulleys? I am considering this mod before i do my header and cat. Any constructive comments on it would be appreciated. The price has also come down significantly, 279 for the 4 piece kit if you check the website shopping cart.

allthrottlenobottle
Car: 91 s13

underdrive pulleys are a great mod because they are horsepower gain for cheap. Most pully kits only need shorter belts installed. the reason for the shorter belt is to apply the same tension as stock belts. Some setups do not even require shorter belts.

Dauntless is right on the money with what they do and how they work. Sometimes charging rate goes down at idle and i've never seen it down at higher rpm's.hence the shorter belts to compensate.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”