Puddle lights what else should I be setting right away that is unique to the EX?

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
Kenike
Car: EX AWD

Hi,

Just picked up my EX Friday, so it is a brand new relationship and we are still getting to know each other. Our bonding period is going well.

I have been taking that pile of reading material that was in the car with me everywhere. LOL. I think it may take months to get through it all. Yes, am one of those females that tries to read the WHOLE owners manual.

Anyway, point is I have not driven at night yet. So tell me about these puddle lights. Do they not come activated?

Also what else should I be setting right away that is unique to the EX?

My salesman and I really ran out of time he afternoon I took delivery.

I thought I could figure this all out by myself. Yowza!!!! There is a lot of stuff to learn and program. He is on vacation this week and we will meet to go over any questions that I may still have when he gets back.

EXceptional
Car: 2008 Aspen Pearl EX35 Freakin Loaded!

Sometimes, they are referred to as "Welcome Lights".

Have a boo at this LINK and this LINK too.
Modified by EXceptional at 1:14 PM 8/25/2008

Georgie
Car: EX35 Black w/Stone & Wood, Prem, Lux Style, Nav

Ha ha. Believe me, you could have an engineering degree and not figure it out that quickly. The two manuals together are like 500 pages. My guess is it will take SEVERAL months before I have everything figured out and working.

After 2-3 weeks of ownership, this is what I have done (if anyone is interested)

1) The first thing was to turn off the "auto-lock" feature. I hate that. It's the first thing I do in a rental car too, if a manual is provided. I did leave the "auto-unlock" on, in case someone locked the doors.

2) I set 2 seat memory positions, one for when someone is riding in the back behind me. This is very handy (never had it before). Haven't messed with the "seat synchronization" yet - I adjust the mirrors manually after someone else drives it - but I'll learn that feature.

3) I turned off the sliding seat on entry/exit (seemed unnecessary use of the motor) but kept the steering wheel movement, and it's very easy to get in and out of the car.

4) I learned all the audio controls (including on the wheel), recorded a few cd's to the Music Box, and set preset banks for AM, FM & Sat, making sure the presets on Sat are well spaced apart so you don't have to scroll from say, 35 - 212. When Sirius comes aboard there'll be 500 channels so I don't know what I'm going to do; hopefully, you'll be able to get channels a la carte. Sat radio ain't that great and it's very compressed but I'll be keeping it (and also for Nav Traffic)

5) I'm about a quarter-way through all the Nav stuff. I'm good with directions and maps so I haven't put in any "routes," but getting comfortable with scrolling around the maps and using the green, yellow, and red lines of Nav traffic has already paid off, like when we were lost around Asbury Park after a concert. You just pull up the maps. The thing is, constantly zooming in and out and checking the map takes your eyes off the road, so I will learn the voice recognition eventually (haven't started that yet).

6) I have NOT paired a phone, though I will have to soon, as handheld is illegal here. I need a new phone and have been putting it off. I hate cellphones.

7) I haven't messed with the puddle lights because the relationship with the battery scared me. So I've just left it off. I don't really need them.

8) Since my engine is still in break-in period, I haven't use the manumatic, but I do go into DS for engine breaking or road feel. But the feel in plain D is pretty good. I look forward to giving this engine more of a workout after break-in...

I can hear you out there snickering, "you've figured out nothing." Well, these things take time, even for a self-confessed gadget guy (but not an engineer).

Modified by Georgie at 3:05 PM 8/25/2008

dividedhighw
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD (Technology Pkg)

Great post, Georgie and welcome to the NICO EX forum!

Kenike

Georgie wrote:Ha ha. Believe me, you could have an engineering degree and not figure it out that quickly. The two manuals together are like 500 pages. My guess is it will take SEVERAL months before I have everything figured out and working.

After 2-3 weeks of ownership, this is what I have done (if anyone is interested)

1) The first thing was to turn off the "auto-lock" feature. I hate that. It's the first thing I do in a rental car too, if a manual is provided. I did leave the "auto-unlock" on, in case someone locked the doors.

2) I set 2 seat memory positions, one for when someone is riding in the back behind me. This is very handy (never had it before). Haven't messed with the "seat synchronization" yet - I adjust the mirrors manually after someone else drives it - but I'll learn that feature.

3) I turned off the sliding seat on entry/exit (seemed unnecessary use of the motor) but kept the steering wheel movement, and it's very easy to get in and out of the car.

4) I learned all the audio controls (including on the wheel), recorded a few cd's to the Music Box, and set preset banks for AM, FM & Sat, making sure the presets on Sat are well spaced apart so you don't have to scroll from say, 35 - 212. When Sirius comes aboard there'll be 500 channels so I don't know what I'm going to do; hopefully, you'll be able to get channels a la carte. Sat radio ain't that great and it's very compressed but I'll be keeping it (and also for Nav Traffic)

5) I'm about a quarter-way through all the Nav stuff. I'm good with directions and maps so I haven't put in any "routes," but getting comfortable with scrolling around the maps and using the green, yellow, and red lines of Nav traffic has already paid off, like when we were lost around Asbury Park after a concert. You just pull up the maps. The thing is, constantly zooming in and out and checking the map takes your eyes off the road, so I will learn the voice recognition eventually (haven't started that yet).

6) I have NOT paired a phone, though I will have to soon, as handheld is illegal here. I need a new phone and have been putting it off. I hate cellphones.

7) I haven't messed with the puddle lights because the relationship with the battery scared me. So I've just left it off. I don't really need them.

8) Since my engine is still in break-in period, I haven't use the manumatic, but I do go into DS for engine breaking or road feel. But the feel in plain D is pretty good. I look forward to giving this engine more of a workout after break-in...

I can hear you out there snickering, "you've figured out nothing." Well, these things take time, even for a self-confessed gadget guy (but not an engineer).

Modified by Georgie at 3:05 PM 8/25/2008
My "Welcome" lights are working nicely. Thank you, that was easy.

I like the auto lock. Always rather be on the safe side , after that car jacking period we had here on the east coast. I also like the auto exit feature. I am short so my seat is pretty uncomfortable if someone else jumps in to drive my cars.

I did the memory seats but not with the tilt wheel and mirrors.

I did all of the presets including XM ones.

Today recorded three CD's and edited the info for them to better describe what they are.

Learned how to open and lock the car using all the different options. I am loving not having to fumble for keys in my purse.

I did manage to pair two phones so both will work in the car. I am not sure which is the default one when we both are in the together. I will have to check it out. Audio is so much better than my blue tooth headset. We both loved that feature.

Next is to do all of the voice commands for phone and music.

I also need to buy an Ipod, never had one before so this is a good excuse to get one.

Then to read that huge Nav manual. But I did manage to use it with the basic features since Hubby's car has one. Though the one in the EX is so much nicer than than the in his GMC Yukon. Also that XM Nav Traffic is totally cool, especially here in the Metro area. Only it does not have a few main roads that are close by. Need to see if more roads can be added to what it shows.

Do not laugh but I am a little queasy about the manual shifting since I never drove a stick car before. Well never drove one very well, my attempts were laughable.

I am really getting to love this car more and more each day. It was so hard for me to give up my Maxima, but wow the EX has so many fun toys

This is almost like going back to school for training. It has been a long time since I was this excited about a new car.

dividedhighw
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD (Technology Pkg)

Good job, Kenike!
Kenike wrote:I did manage to pair two phones so both will work in the car. I am not sure which is the default one when we both are in the together. I will have to check it out.
Look at p4-87 of the Owner's Manual for a description of setting priority levels for multiple phones.

Cheers,David

CaribMon71
Car: 2009 FX50 Sport

Previous Car: 2008 EX35 Journey AWD

Posts like these make me giddy with anticipation! Can't wait to get mine. New ETA date is 9/3. The salesman told me they were going to give me a '99 Tempo as a loaner until mine got there. I actually believed him until he told me he was joking. Whew!

Kenike

Out of curiosity is the EX even available on the Island, and if so what are they asking for it down there?

My family tells me they pay substantially more for the same cars. Like 5M to 10M more depending on the car. I know it is those taxes that come into play. Even when I was going to move there with my completely paid off car, it would have been taxed going in.
CaribMon71 wrote:Posts like these make me giddy with anticipation! Can't wait to get mine. New ETA date is 9/3. The salesman told me they were going to give me a '99 Tempo as a loaner until mine got there. I actually believed him until he told me he was joking. Whew!

CaribMon71
Car: 2009 FX50 Sport

Previous Car: 2008 EX35 Journey AWD

Just to give you an idea, in February 2005, I purchased a slightly used (16,000 miles) VW Touareg off eBay from a dealer in Georgia for $38,500. I paid another $300 to have it trucked down to Port Everglades and another $1,200 to have it shipped to Port of San Juan. When it arrived, I was hit with $20,100 import tax, called an "Arbitrio" here in Puerto Rico.

So that Touareg ended up costing me just over $60,000. However, had I purchased it new here (had it been available in the option trim level I got), it would have set me back $80,000.

The dealers get a better deal on taxes than consumers. I guess that this is to force us to purchase cars from dealers.

To answer your question more specifically, the '08 EX35 in it's most basic trim is on sale for about $43,500. That includes the "Arbitrios", but no other documentation fees or registration. Getting one with the equivalent of Premium and Luxe Style will bring it up to closer the $50k range.

The Infinity incentives are being offered here as well.

EX35's are not available with navigation or technology package or Luxe Elite packages. So I'm getting mine in Arlington, VA fully tricked out with every possible option and accessory available by Infiniti (less the aero kit.... yuk!) for $39,500 out the door (all taxes and fees included), with a free 3 year required maintenance plan.

Trust me, I feel like I'm getting one heck of a deal! For that money here, could probably only get a fully tricked out Accord or Passat or something.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”