Public High School BS

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
Daunttless

I would wholly agree with that last statement BoMex. : ) It was actually rather well worded, for a Canadian. =P Nah, seriously, theres a bit of a "rivalry" here but its all in good fun, hell look at what I say to blinks and he's one of my friends. ; ) Truly, theres no actual ill will fostered towards Canada ( at least from me ) and that the spirited USA vs. Canada debates in the ring were by no means personal. Also, as far as the military goes, its not about what country you're from its about the guys next to you. : )

deesolballs

Bomex, I was with you up until the "typical, white, conservative, God fearing American" bit. I don't think that this is an issue of race or religion but of upholding "perceived" standards in a public institution. I don't know if the whole "black man crossing the street and homosexual" blurb will help to shift the opinion either.

I was in high-school when the big baggy pants and dreadlocks thing first started (89-93). The baggy pants were supposed to symbolize the struggle blacks had gone through as a result of slavery and resulting Jim Crowism (Malcolm X movie just came out). Oversized pants (and clothes in general) were common (and still are for some children) because parents were poor and couldn't buy new clothes so big clothes were handed down to younger siblings who hadn't quite grown into them (I don't know why this was supposed to be an exclusively black situation because poverty doesn't discriminate). Somehow it went from symbolism to easy access crotch grabbing on music videos to suburbia. Go figure.

The dreadlocks were convenient because brothers were left with tons of hair since the Jeri-curl was no longer cool and the flat-top had met its demise (thanks to MC Hammer for trying to wear both at the same time):D . I doubt many were wearing dreads due to Rastafarianism but that was the claim for some. I doubt it because I don’t know many black Americans that want to return to Africa to live, who think smoking weed is a religious ritual, who think cutting their hair is a sin (the dreads worn in the states are more fashionable to us than the Jamaican Rasta long matted dreads), or who believe in or even know who Selassie is (a God of the Rasta Man). Dreads are for fashion for the majority and not religion.

The point I am making is (believe it or not) I deal with youth in my spare time as a volunteer. I tutor middle and high-school kids and I know my share of delinquents. I also do some hiring at my company and I try to pass on to these kids want is wanted in the work force. Kids have to be taught how to act and present themselves in the real world and looking like Side Show Bob doesn’t help. Youth can learn to pull their idols from different pools other than musicians and athletes. The principal was probably wrong or extreme but her heart may have been in the right place. Just playing Devil’s Advocate.

I feel dirty, back to the Ring!!

deesolballs

umm...sorry for the dissertation.

And caNADians are cool (except for s14).

boMex

Yeah some of my comments weren't exactly ment to change opinions...but hey can't a guy have some fun? I think my letter was probably one of the tamer ones. Hey Dees wasn't getting all racial with the black guy comment.....just seems like most straight edge whiteys get nervous when a brother meets them on the street.

S14 is a cool guy...he just types like a foo :D j/k. The whole issue of this girl getting banned is pretty low-fi compared to what we have up here-->Catholic School Board tried to stop a gay student from bringing his boyfriend to the prom. The student took the school board to court and the court rulled that the school was violating his rights according to our charter of rights and freedoms. The funny thing was listening to the school representatives try to explain to the media that being gay is wrong and a disease and the kid will go to hell..........thus proving that even city folks can be stupid and backwards. :sleep

Daunttless

That probably would have been ruled valid here, as our first amendment protects religious freedom, which would in turn allow them to interpret their belief any way that they desire. He would have been banned and they would have been "justified" in saying he will burn in hell.

MaineExport
Car: Quad racing, import cars and Trucks. Hunting, fishing whatever.

Well, being a, "typical, white, conservative, God fearing American" I still agree with most of what you have to say. But what's with this nervous black homosexual sinners with disease crap... I must have read that wrong or something.

I guess my only real point (because I don't feel like making enemies today), is why do you think you are right and she is wrong. Did anybody stop to think that she has as much conviction in her beliefs as you have in yours? I'm not saying I agree with her, but I won't judge her or condemn her actions. She is in a position of authority for a reason, and who are we to judge her decision without having the facts. It is easy to be manipulated by the presentation of "fact"... none of us are immune. Who is more ignorant.. her, for her "out dated beliefs" or those who harshly judge her based on beliefs they have been spoon fed. Just a thought... I would encourage you not to agree.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

boMex wrote:I hope that you decide to change your policy on hair styles and remember that at one time it was innapropriate for women to wear trousers....and vote.

BoMex - THAT is PERFECT. Well said.

I don't necessarily agree with some of the rest of your letter, but you did a great job. Maineimport said it best when he said, "Who is more ignorant.. her, for her "outdated beliefs" or those who harshly judge her based on beliefs they have been spoon fed."

Don't be led astray by the liberal media - some of the things we are having "forced" upon us (such as: homosexuality is normal, everyone fools around on their spouse, questioning authority is healthy) are just plain wrong. Period. Think for yourself, follow your heart, and don't let Hollywood, MTV, or so-called "reality shows" dictate what is and what is not acceptable.

Like Dees said, I'd like to think my kids (all 3 of them) would look to me and Mama as role models above an athlete or a movie/music star).

BTW, Bomex - I ain't scared of no brotha's. We all walk on the same side of the street. Dees, Red, Bionic and S14 included.:D

MasterMan
Car: nothing running at the moment city buses "uck here

ahh a new range to scan.. thanks ; )

boMex

Well it would be hard for me to have ever been spoon fed beliefs from generic American T.V. seeing as I grew up (first couple of years) without a T.V. and have never ever had cable. I have 7 stations on my T.V. and really only watch 1 or 2 shows....and even those I really never follow closely enough. My beliefs were formed by living life. Meeting people and finding out that being Gay, Black, White, Yellow, Brown, Male, Female, Jewish, Catholic, Buddist, Agnostic really doesn't matter. How you dress isn't a function of whether you are a good person or a bad one. My beliefs were, and still are, shaped by growing up in the most multicultural city in Canada....and perhaps the world. My friends and some of my family come from all walks of life and all places around the globe and retain deep cultural and emotional ties to their old homes, yet have embraced Canada as their new one. It would be impossible for me to hate a person for their sexuallity, race or religion without hating someone that is a friend or family. s'all :sleep

Daunttless

I pose the question, does S14 REALLY walk on the same side of the street. : )

As far as everything, I think the best part was the women weren't allowed to wear trousers or vote. : ) That line is nice. However, as far as the homosexuality thing being "right" or what not, I do agree with Hitman on the "normal" aspect. I'm not sure if this is what he's getting at or not, but this is how I view it and I suspect because of his wording its how he feels, but here goes. I don't think that its "wrong," but I also don't think that its "normal." I have no problem with homosexuality and yes, I actually have a number of gay friends, shocking isn't it, being out in Iowa and all. : ) However, while I don't judge them for the way they want to live their life, because its completely their choice, it still isn't normal. Normal is mating, you cannot mate as a gay or lesbian couple, and while I appreciate that you may want to understand the joys of having a child, I don't think that its right to have a child living permanently in that situation. Yes, they're fine people, but no I don't think that its normal or that its a child rearing situation. However, I feel the same way about non-"normal" heterosexual relationships like swinging and what not, if thats your bag, whatever, I'm not involved nor does it spill over into my life or anyone elses ( just like homosexuality ) so I don't care. However, thats also not a child friendly environment in my opinion. Take the Danielle Van Damme case, she's dead because of her parents lifestyle, the liberal media has defended her family saying theres no way its their fault, but it is, their lifestyle significantly contributed to her death. Its irresponsible parenting to be smoking the herb, swinging with strangers and having children in the house. Thats not "normal" and a child shouldn't have to be put in that situation and the same with homoesexuality, because of the way you are you can't breed, I'm sorry but thats just the way it is, you shouldn't have children whether or not you have someone else do the job for you in one way or another. Thats just my take on it, its not that we don't "embrace" it or what not, but there are things that aren't normal. Its not that I"m backwards or whatever, or even that I wholly feel that this administrator is backwards and I completely agree that she's gone across the line in this situation, however there are still things that aren't "normal." She has a different ( and in my opinion probably wrong ) view of this girl, but we don't know what goes on where she lives. : ) Maybe women hide shivs in their dreadlocks. : ) Hehe, well, not really, but still I liket he trouser and vote comment, but the black man comment and what not probably isn't appropriate to the point. Being whitey I'm just as scared as the next WASP of a black man walking down the street, when I'm in the ghetto part of town. : ) And then, its not that he's black and I'm white, I'm scared of all the white guys walking around down there too. : ) Its times like that you have to evaluate what you're doing there and take things situationally. : ) Enjoy your day!

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Good stuff, Daunt.

Did I mention we're glad you're back?

MaineExport

boMex wrote:Well it would be hard for me to have ever been spoon fed beliefs from generic American T.V. seeing as I grew up (first couple of years) without a T.V. and have never ever had cable. I have 7 stations on my T.V. and really only watch 1 or 2 shows....and even those I really never follow closely enough. My beliefs were formed by living life. Meeting people and finding out that being Gay, Black, White, Yellow, Brown, Male, Female, Jewish, Catholic, Buddist, Agnostic really doesn't matter. How you dress isn't a function of whether you are a good person or a bad one. My beliefs were, and still are, shaped by growing up in the most multicultural city in Canada....and perhaps the world. My friends and some of my family come from all walks of life and all places around the globe and retain deep cultural and emotional ties to their old homes, yet have embraced Canada as their new one. It would be impossible for me to hate a person for their sexuallity, race or religion without hating someone that is a friend or family. s'all :sleep

I never said American TV was the only source corrupting OUR minds. WE are ALL subject to the influence of media and.... are you ready...... FAMILY!!! Do you know how many advertisements you are exposed to on a daily basis. The average is OVER 3000!! That means that urban dwellers are subject to more... and us living in the boonies, slightly less. If you truely believe your first sentence than you need to re-evaluate the situation. TV is only one source of this barage of outer influences. Family plays a very influential role in our ethics, morals, and beliefs. I'm not saying you are incapable of having your OWN thoughts and beliefs.... I'm saying you shouldn't judge this woman because she has HERS! Her views are not popular... and in some ways they are just backwards... but I, for one, will not question her motives, as I am not in her shoes.

It is wrong to believe, that because your ideas are progressive and popular, that they are enlightened and righteous.

boMex

Up in the north we don't have advertising :D

boMex

Actually I neither agree nor disagree with the administrator for the exact reasons Maine was talking about. That said my lack of position doesn't prevent me from composing a positional statement. I could write an equaly effective argument in favor of her actions. Did I mention that I used to like class debates in school? I harbour feeling for both sides of a debate in most cases. Does that make me a fence sitter? No. Because I usually argue for one side. To tell you guys the truth topic like this let me practice my typing and my "idea constuction" skills for when I return to university. Anyways talking about an issue in a mature and calm manner (no flaming) is always good and I'm glad that we have that here on the NICO board... :sleep

Repo Man
Car: '15 RAM 1500, 4x4

I can't imagine going to high school these days. I graduated in '92 and I carried a pocket knife to school every day. Can you imagine that now? I can't. I got in trouble in high school for too much @ss whoopin' in my dad's Turbo Buick. The security guards kept a close eye on me.

I know I would get kicked out for not following the ridiculous rules on the books now. You current high-schoolers are better people than me, because I simply would be expelled.

It would be interesting for all of us to get together and discuss politics, morality and horsepower over a few pitchers of Guinness. Or Molson XXX. :D

AZhitman
Administrator

maineimport wrote:It is wrong to believe, that because your ideas are progressive and popular, that they are enlightened and rightious.

DAMN - That's brilliant.

I agree with Bo and Repo - What a great thread this has turned into.

MaineExport

repo man wrote:It would be interesting for all of us to get together and discuss politics, morality and horsepower over a few pitchers of Guinness. Or Molson XXX. :D

I'll chew the fat over politics any old day! I'm with you, in not wanting to be in high school anymore. Myself, for different reasons... but amen to being free of that mess! Maybe we'll have a NICO meet in Canada sometime.... and take advantage of your liberal "beer laws"!

MaineExport

AZhitman wrote:DAMN - That's brilliant.

Thanks... every now and then I get fired up enough to care!

Daunttless

The rest of the time he's out lumberjacking for a Canadian Overlord. : )

MaineExport

Only, in that I'm always looking to take one down..... yes I am, "lumberjacking"!

Mayhem_J30
Car: Ummm...My Car

i go by one rule, if you don't **** with me or anybody i like you're cool in my book no matter what.

ninjak84
Car: S13, Z32, Titan

i miss high school, and ive only been out of it for half a year

Spectre
Car: 1995 240sx se

ninjak84 wrote:i miss high school, and ive only been out of it for half a year

:eek: How can you miss high school!? Man, I couldn't have been happier when I left. Ever since starting college, my life has greatly improved. I miss some of my old high school friends, but I don't miss high school. Heck, I'm acting again. I just got cast in this November's play at my campus.

skydragoness
Car: 03' 350z Touring 6spd
92' 240sx 60k survivor :)

the only thing i miss about high school was all the free time i had, i played so much video games and beat them, went places, complained i was bored all the time... now i can't even sit down to eat dinner with my family anymore... too damn busy!!

skydragoness
Car: 03' 350z Touring 6spd
92' 240sx 60k survivor :)

the only thing i miss about high school was all the free time i had, i played so much video games and beat them, went places, complained i was bored all the time... now i can't even sit down to eat dinner with my family anymore... too damn busy!!

Spectre
Car: 1995 240sx se

skydragoness5 wrote:the only thing i miss about high school was all the free time i had, i played so much video games and beat them, went places, complained i was bored all the time... now i can't even sit down to eat dinner with my family anymore... too damn busy!!
Don't cha hate it when ya make a dp?:D I've found a whole lot more free time with college. I just need to work on pacing myself. Anyone around Sugar Land, Missouri City, or Stafford want to come see the play?

Mayhem_J30

screw high school. i miss college. in college girls are legal, alcohol is legal, i'm legal, girls are legal...

Daunttless

College girls are still legal. : )

AZhitman
Administrator

So are HS seniors who flunked 5th grade...:D:D:D

Mayhem_J30

may i also say that in college i wasn't tied down...currently to date, college girls besides my own, are illegal.

Return to “General Chat”