PS3 and PC Gaming Headset Options?

PC, Game console and Online gaming discussion forum
ChipperJones

Hey all, i was hoping someone can recommend me a headset. im kinda new to PC gaming and am not looking to spend much, But i find it hard to figure out which one will work for sure. Bluetooth, wired? I have been eying thisNoiseHush N700m but then i compare it to the likes of sayturtle beach optionsand well i feel like maybe i should just spend a bit more, as you can see i have been given descions that i simply cannot make on my own! lol. I am however interested in your take on headsets or which ones you use. Most of the affordable ones out their seem to be made of rather cheap materials, is their a premium options?

RCA

Can't tell if this is spam or not?

I don't know of any headsets that work with PC and console.
Trittons are great but in order to make it work with both, you will need to buy splitters/selectors. Stay away from Bluetooth; you microphone will sound terrible and the audio quality isn't very good. Also rechargeable batteries. I don't think you can get Bluetooth with spending premium bucks. ~$100.

orangeNblue
Car: 2008 Nissan 350z

okay I think I may be able to help with this one....I've been doing a crap ton of research on this because, well because my dog at through my headset.

if cheap is your option and by cheap I mean sub $75 then I would go with a set of wired turtle beach headphones. They're basic, functional, and hold up well against anything that won't try to break it. The turtle beach website has a ps3 section, I'd just start looking there.

If you have around $180 to spend, I would recommend the turtle beach xp400 or the wait for the upcoming black ops2 xray. They'll be wireless, have full dolby "surround sound", and work for the PS3, xbox, and PC.

If money isn't a limiting factor, then I would look into the turtle beach seVen series, the astro a40's, or best of all the astro A50's. You really can't beat the astro headsets but they are going to cost you quite a bit to get ($300)!!!

There are several other options out there as well such as well as several opinions. I personally am going to end up giving a wired headset a chance again and hope that my dog doesn't ruin another set. I'll be getting the d12 from turtle beach. I had the DX 11 and they were amazing!

RCA

orangeNblue wrote:okay I think I may be able to help with this one....I've been doing a crap ton of research on this because, well because my dog at through my headset.

if cheap is your option and by cheap I mean sub $75 then I would go with a set of wired turtle beach headphones. They're basic, functional, and hold up well against anything that won't try to break it. The turtle beach website has a ps3 section, I'd just start looking there.

If you have around $180 to spend, I would recommend the turtle beach xp400 or the wait for the upcoming black ops2 xray. They'll be wireless, have full dolby "surround sound", and work for the PS3, xbox, and PC.

If money isn't a limiting factor, then I would look into the turtle beach seVen series, the astro a40's, or best of all the astro A50's. You really can't beat the astro headsets but they are going to cost you quite a bit to get ($300)!!!

There are several other options out there as well such as well as several opinions. I personally am going to end up giving a wired headset a chance again and hope that my dog doesn't ruin another set. I'll be getting the d12 from turtle beach. I had the DX 11 and they were amazing!
He needs a headset that works with PC and console. None of those will work unless he uses switches or splitters. Turtle Beach does sell solutions but it isn't compatible out of the box so buying the cables unnecessary from Monoprice.com would be a better idea.

Always stay away from wireless unless you are playing 15ft or more from your tv. If you are playing that far away, you'll be better off by just moving closer to the screen.

"full dolby 'surround sound' " is a marketing term. It means that the XP400's do the same exact thing as any other gaming headset in the market. Stay away from Astros like the plague. The headset isn't any different from anything on the market and they are over priced; the MixAmp is the only thing worth messing with.

If you want the best possible setup you need to buy a 5.1 decoder, a decent PC headset, and some splitters to get the mic from the PC and console working.

orangeNblue

as I said before all of the low end turtle beach headsets are wired, and work with both the console of choice and pc/mac. (examples P11 or P21)

if he wants a cheap option then that's the way to go...

RCA

How does this work with a PC?

orangeNblue

probably through the stereo cables....I wouldn't know because I don't own one....what I do know is that if you go to the turtle beach website ....

(http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/ps3 ... -px21.aspx)

...right under the picture of the headset it says in clear english "Also works with: PC/Mac"

RCA

I understand that. It works with PC like any other headset work with PC. You'll need to purchase splitters/switches and so it doesn't work with both PC and Console; it works with PC or Console. You can't have both unless you want to swap cables from the back of your tv to your PC.

orangeNblue

each headset has a wire that plugs in to a headset port. it comes with its own splitter/stereo audio cables. I don't have personal experience with the p21, but my girlfriends little brother had the d11. He used them for his xbox and when he played on his PC. I don't know the exact connections he used, but I know that he didn't buy anything extra to do it. I personally had the DX11, which my dog ate through the wire. Mine ran through a DSS box which is what produced the "surround sound." Listen, my bday is in 2 days and my girlfriend is getting me the D12 headset. I will plug it in to my mac to see if I can use it as a gaming headset and let you know exactly how it works....

RCA

I can tell you how it will work, if these are the ones.

Part 1: Setting up your X12s to your Xbox
You need to run component from your Xbox to your TV. You need to plug the RCA splitter cable to your TV then have the component audio run to the back of the splitter cable. But if you want to use HDMI instead of component, your kinda boned because you need to buy a HDMI audio adapter cable (dongle). And in order to get the audio from the HDMI audio adapter cable (dongle) to the RCA splitter cable you are going to need to run an RCA male to male cable(it doesn't need to be long, 1ft is more than enough) from the HDMI dongle to the RCA splitters. Then you plug your headset into the back part of the RCA splitter cable. After all of that you will be good to go with Xbox.

Part 2: You want to use both PC and Xbox with your X12s
If you want this to work with PC also you need either a 3.5mm switch or a 3.5mm splitter. My suggestion would be to go with the switch, leads to the better sound quality and less sound degradation but it's more expensive than the splitter. Now you have your PC and Xbox plugged into your headset at all times.

Part 3: You don't want to use your X12s constantly with your PC?
BTW now unless your using your headset, you won't have audio from your PC. So if your browsing the web and want to watch a YouTube video, you need to put on your headset unless you have a sound card that outputs to multiple audio sources (most PCs don't have this). If not, you will need to pick up a cheap USB sound card to send sound to your headset from you PC this way your built in sound card can output to your PC speakers or headphone jack.

If you just want your headset to work with...
  • Your Xbox, just follow Part 1
    Your PC...Do you care about having your headset on at all times to listen to audio?
    - - Yes. All you need to do is plug in the headset to your PC and follow part 3.
    - - No. All you need to do is plug the headset into your PC.
    Your Xbox and PC, you'll need to follow Part 1,2, and 3.

So my question to you is this, is the X12s compatible with PC/Mac and Xbox?

orangeNblue

at this point I've lost interest completely in this argument. You win...he can't use them both with pc and ps3/xbox on the same connection. If he/she has his/her ps3 and pc hooked up to the same monitor then they'll have to switch back and forth, so painstakingly just to be able to play one or the other.

turtle beach has a cheap option that works with both, individually just to clarify, and work extremely well for $50 headset. original question still answered and recommended none the less....

RCA

Sorry that I write long posts. I spent a lot of time researching these things and so it's not about winning, it's about saving people time so they don't get bad advice or do the weeks of research.
orangeNblue wrote:If he/she has his/her ps3 and pc hooked up to the same monitor then they'll have to switch back and forth, so painstakingly just to be able to play one or the other.
It doesn't work like that. Headsets don't use HDMI audio, they use toslink audio. PS3 can't output multiple audio/video sources at the same time like the Xbox does. He'll need a toslink switch and he'll need his PC and PS3 to output audio to the toslink cable. Then he'll need to follow Part 3 unless he wan't to use the headset at all times. Switching outputs on his monitor isn't relevant.
orangeNblue wrote:turtle beach has a cheap option that works with both, individually just to clarify, and work extremely well for $50 headset. original question still answered and recommended none the less....
As for your recommendations...
Yes the P11s will work but it's misleading to say it will work with the PC and the PS3 out of the box. And I think that's what OP is asking for.

orangeNblue

okay...so with all your research...which wireless headset would you recommend for xbox and playstation use, on a budget of $200

RCA

There's a lot of factors.

What are some things you care about?
  • Do you want ease of use? (is your little brother going to be using these and it shouldn't be complicated)

Do you just want best sound quality no matter what?

Which system do you plan on playing more?
Also I wouldn't suggest wireless headset. Unless you're playing in a move theatre, I would just move up a bit to your screen.

orangeNblue

okay...so I just tried the x12. They were extremely uncomfortable, all I heard was the explosions around me, I could barely hear footsteps or really anything directional. Really overall i was extremely disappointed, especially when I used an liked the x11 (with dss)

I've done some research into this a little bit and I like what I've heard about the astro a40's, and I've also read that turtle beach is coming out with a headset called the SeVen..

anyways, to answer your questions:

First and foremost, comfort. My ears felts crushed and hurt after playing in the x12's for about an hour. I typically game between 2-5 hours and occasionally have a 6-8 hour session. especially when new games come out.

Sound quality is the next most important thing. I'd like to be able to use the headset for what I need it for, directional awareness but at the same time not killing my ears.

I will 98% be using them for the xbox 360. I have a couple friends that I play with, and when black ops 2 comes out I'd like to find a clan to play with. Also a buddy of mine and I like to see who can get the most achievements so I play all non Call of Duty games on the xbox 100%.

Realistically, its not that important to be able to connect to ps3 as well, but if possible I'd like to have it as an option.

s0m3th1ngAZ
Car: 96' Miata
2014 Focus ST

I have the PX11's and have no trouble switching from my buddie's PS3 and my laptop. My biggest gripe with them is a noticeable background hiss that gets worse when you flip the "expander" switch. I've gotten used to it and it only bothers me in certain music and games. Other than that sound quality and comfort are pretty good. Now I just need to find out where I can get the DSS thingy.

orangeNblue

I'll sell ya mine. If I get a different headset I won't be using it any more.

s0m3th1ngAZ
Car: 96' Miata
2014 Focus ST

Sweet lemme know.

orangeNblue

I'd PM you but you don't have them enabled. PM me and we can talk some more about this...

johnny butt
Car: 1993 240sx Convertible

Rca wrote: It doesn't work like that. Headsets don't use HDMI audio, they use toslink audio. PS3 can't output multiple audio/video sources at the same time like the Xbox does. He'll need a toslink switch and he'll need his PC and PS3 to output audio to the toslink cable. Then he'll need to follow Part 3 unless
he wan't to use the headset at all times.
Hi, I have a ps 3 with turtle beaches as well as a 5.1surround sound system and I have used both at once. Surround sound fed audio through hdmi and headset fed audio through fiber optic.

I am certain this is an available option on the ps3.

RCA

johnny butt wrote:Hi, I have a ps 3 with turtle beaches as well as a 5.1surround sound system and I have used both at once. Surround sound fed audio through hdmi and headset fed audio through fiber optic.

I am certain this is an available option on the ps3.
Good point. I meant audio/video sources. So on the PS3 you can't run Component and HDMI. What you can do is run "Audio Multi-Output" option on your PS3. But it makes your secondary option 2.1 sound, so you want to make sure your primarily audio out is the Toslink and then have your HDMI run 2.1.

So in your case either your HDMI to your surround sound speakers were actually only outputting to the Front Right/Left speakers and your headset was getting all 5.1 channels.

OR

Your HDMI was outputting all 5.1 channels to your surround sound but your headset was getting the short end of the stick and only getting 2.1. If your headset utilized the Toslink cable, make sure you set your audio to Toslink as the primary output or you will get false directional audio. Unless of course you don't use your headset too often.

orangeNblue

i ended up getting the Astro A40's because they were on an open box special at best buy. Got a pretty good deal....

...anyways, I couldn't be happier with them. They are extremely comfortable, great sound, I can hear everything. My only complaints are that the explosions are a little on the loud side and you can't hear yourself in the headset when you talk. Other than that they are exactly what I was looking for

Return to “Gaming”