Protecting the radiator from rocks. Suggestion needed

Home of the Nissan Cube forum and CubeDriver.com
miata007
Car: 2009 Cube 6sp, 2005 G35 sedan

After 3 weeks of ownership, my cube has a couple rock chips in the windshield already. In addition, when inspecting under the front bumper, there were quite a few radiator fins bented.

Wondering if it is worth it to get something to protect the radiator from rock and debris. Don't want a whole bird to be caught in there...you know what I am saying?

Thought of something cheap is to use chicken wire and tie it around the lower bumper spoiler with tie rods. That should ateast get 1in diameter rocks from damaging the fins.

Any other options avail out there that is both nice looking and cost effective?

KromCube
Car: 2009 Nissan Cube Krom

Not any that I know of. But your chicken wire idea sounds good as long as you keep it well hidden. I haven't checked my radiator for any rock chips, but it seems to be a good thing to look at, though not necessarily something to worry about after three weeks.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Truckers use window screen.

Get it at Home Depot. Make sure to stretch it tight, and keep it clean of bugs...

I take a sprayer and hit the radiator from the back side (in the engine bay) to force any bugs and dirt and crap out through the front of the radiator fins.

srellim234
Car: 2007 silver Versa SL
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

A couple of us that have Versas have picked up a nice stainless mesh (a little heavier than normal window screen, sold in sheets over near the plywood) at Home Depot, cut the piece to fit and secured it using black zip ties. The ties are almost invisible (as is the screen behind the grille) and it works great.

I was going to post a link to a Versa thread about this but for some reason when I use the search feature the Versa/Tiida forum doesn't come up on the list.

zinker
Car: 2005 Ford Focus soon to be a Cube!

It's not guaranteed to prevent the problem, but you might want to think about how close you tend to drive behind other cars. The closer you get the more dangerous it can be to both you and your ride.

The first week I had my shiny new 2005 Focus ZX3 I was following a car when something flew out the window, hit the road, bounced once or twice and hit the front of my car hard. I expected some damage, so when I get home I took a look with my fingers crossed. There, still wedged in the grill, was a kids Fisher-Price toy truck. I still have it as a souvenir.

I posted to a Focus discussion board at the time that my new ZX3 was hit by a truck!

Oh - an FYI - I just ordered a new Cube SL with the preferred package today. All that remains is for the dealer to find one. The ZX3 has about 84,000 miles on it and it's time to get something new.

Return to “Cube Forum”