ProPilot assist system failure?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

It happened today again (one year later), the 19 Rogue slammed on the brakes for no reason when I ignored the stupid warning of putting my hands on the steering wheel (I did this intentionally to test the system). Stopped by a Nissan dealer to look at the new Rogues prior to this happening, and the sales person literally told me my ProPilot assist system ain't working properly. Is this a failure on my vehicle or just how Nissan poorly designed this crap? To compare, my MDX, when I ignore the put my hands on the steering wheel warning, actually turns off that specific feature (specific feature is the steering assist/lane keeping assist). I am seriously contemplating of trading this POS in for a 2021.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Nope, it isn't a failure. If the torque sensor in the wheel doesn't sense a hand for too long, it will stop in it's tracks and who cares if it's a highway. It's designed with only one thing in mind, to prevent you sleeping (or dying) at the wheel.

NMD
Car: 2021 Rogue Platinum AWD
2011 Sentra SR
2022 VW Jetta SE (wife's car, please don't hate)

It has only one mode of applying the brakes -- "emergency stop". Does it the same way when the FEB activates, or in the reverse. My parent's driveway is kinda steep, so I always have to watch it.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

NMD wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:54 pm
It has only one mode of applying the brakes -- "emergency stop". Does it the same way when the FEB activates, or in the reverse. My parent's driveway is kinda steep, so I always have to watch it.
True. The ICC (if you have it) is smarter than that about braking, but RAB, FEB and the ProPilot "sleep timeout" will all jam it. That's just the way Nissan designed it. Just a theory, but I think they may have done it on purpose with the sleep timeout, to scare people out of "daring" the system. Smart or annoying, depending how you view it. ProPilot isn't supposed to be truly "self-driving" like, say, a Tesla. I'm sure Nissan doesn't want people treating it that way.

Return to “Rogue Forum”