Proper Tire Rotation for my QX4

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
cbcrippler

What's the proper Tire Rotation for my 2001 QX4? Let's just say for argument sake that I do not have a spare. The Owner's manual indicates that I should bring the Front tires to the Rear, and bring the Rear tires to the Front (AND cross them). I was at the dealer recently to pick up a part, and was going to have them rotate my tires, until he told me that it was $25. Anyway he said you definitely take the Front Left to Rear Left, and Front Right to Rear Right.Which rotation is correct?

QX4ME
Car: 02 Infiniti QX4 4WD
11 MB C300 Sports
06 Honda Odyssey

I saved 01 QX4 manual on another PC so no access to it, but assume 02 QX4 is the same. Further more, I think most rear wheel drive is the same about tire rotation.

I think what you said is for front wheel drive. My 02 manual says that bring rear tires straight to the front, and front to rear with cross.

So if 01 is the same as 02, then none of you are correct.

cbcrippler

you are right, I know my manual indicates that i should rotate the tires the way you suggested, I accidentally wrote the opposite of what i meant in my explanation. but what i'm wondering is why i was told to just switch the front and rear tires by the dealer service guy, i mean this wasn't jiffy rotation. It was the infiniti dealer and he said that was the correct way .

QX4ME
Car: 02 Infiniti QX4 4WD
11 MB C300 Sports
06 Honda Odyssey

Then this Infiniti dealer probably does not have a basic common sense.

Road surface is not perfectly flat. Typically the center is higher than two sides. After a few thousand miles driving, two sides of tires wear out differently. If rotation does not include cross, we know it will not do good enough. It'll only fix the front and rear difference but not side to side.

NISTECH

heres the deal, It used to be all nissan/infiniti recommended rotation was straight front to rear with no crossing. In about late 97 early 98 nissan came out with a quality assurance campaign on the pathfinder/Qx4 which made several changes to the vehicle to resolve multiple incedents. one of the changes was due to tire feathering of the front tires due to the wheel base length on the car. so at that time all pathy and Qx4 rotation patterns were changed now it is straight to the front and cross to the rear. This also included all the newer ones up to 04. The problem here is that campaign only last about 6 months or so and then nissan shut it down so the campaign is now no longer in existance. So some of the newer techs dont know about it and follow the rotation pattern that applies to all other models they have seen and dont know the path or Qx4 are different. OR the older techs didnt pay close attention to what the campaign was trying to resolve and think it only affected the ones with really bad tire wear issues and not the entire model line. This is likely why you heard that from the dealer techs.

cbcrippler

thanks! now I know what to do.

AlabamaDan
Car: 2015 Infiniti Q70
1998 Infiniti QX4

Wait a minute! So during this campaign did they say fronts to the back, and cross the rears as they go forward? Is that what the concensus is to stop the feathering and stuff?

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”