project just started datsun 510

Discussion forum for the venerable 510, and its non-US counterparts, the Datsun 1600 and Bluebird.
BACARDI_DWB

well this is going to be a 2+ year project. I just bought the 510 about a month ago. and here is what it looks likei hate the rims and the mirrors and well i have the rims replaced already:and well i have the template all done up for how i want the dash done custom:

well now i guess here is where i tell you about the project:

1970 Datsun 510 2 doorThe CA18DET motorset is already purchased and on its way. Saving money up for the SDS engine management system.plans are about 300-400hp off the gt2871r turbo with a custom turbo t2 manifold that i am going to build. totally rebuilding the block with weisco pistons. pushing the bore out a little to be a little more square than it already is and going to put crower rods in there. the head is going to get a full once over with port matching and new oversized valves. with everything cryotreated and done up nice. pretty much i am building the engine to support about 700hp on the safe side.

for the brakes i am going with 280 disk brakes up front with slotted brembo rotors all cryotreated of course (you will notice i do alot of cryotreating cause i get discounts per tank) for the rear i am going to use 200sx in the rear with slotted brembo rotors

for suspension i am getting this kit:http://www.datsport.com/SR20_fitting_kit.htmlits a little spendy but it will be completely worth it for everything that i will be getting. now the front coilovers are going to be the troy ermish racing coilovers with the adjustable camber kits. the rear coilovers are going to be the top motoring single adjustable rate coilovers.

also i will be getting an autopower rollbar but i will be adding some custom welds/gussets and supports.

the whole inside of the car is getting aluminum skined panels. which the templates are already complete.

for the wiring i am taking everything out of the car and doing my own custom wiring. its going to be extreemly simple and precise. switches/relays will control daily functions like wipers/headlights/turnsignals and all the accessories. and the SDS will control all the motor functions. wiring diagram is 50% drawn up in CAD program.

still working how i want to plumb the fuel system but the stock tank is being deep 6'd for a 18 gallon tank that will be flush mounted with the floor of the trunk (no tire well) to place alot of the weight below the body of the car.

the cars body is going to be clean and straight. taking all unneccissary holes out of the car and when i wire up the car i will drill new holes with gussets to remain as clean as possible. and the car will be done up in a copper/bronze/orange mixed color with a candy clearcoat. i have not decided what rims i want with the car. but i may tub out the rear of the car to allow a little more tire in the rear. no flares will be used and i will be replacing the front fenders/hood/ and trunk with fiberglass parts to keep the weight down. there are alot more details but like i said this will be an ongoing project and won't even be running for 2 years. hopefully sooner but it may end up being 3 years. ...

NSR240sxe
Car: '97 Kouki S14, '98 Sentra SE

Nice 510! Glad you got rid of the wheels...they didnt look right on the car. Good luck with the project....sounds like you got a lot planned.

nsrZ32
Car: 90 300ZX TT, 78 280Z, 71 521 Pickup, 98 Sentra 2.0 SE, 02 Altima 3.5 SE, 01 Focus s2

Should be amazing! Can't wait to see it evolve

BACARDI_DWB

i should be getting the motor this week. can't wait. first thing i am doing is tearing it down for a rebuild.

dvd

yay for ca18 in 510. I still need to find a 510 =[

BACARDI_DWB

well come to find out that the engine is held up in transit and it took an extra week. yesterday it was 111miles away and this morning its only 41 miles away. hopefully i get it either today or tomarrow!! yay!!!

dvd

hurry, pics of your motor when you get it! I just got my 510. Planning on taking whatever motor thats in there now out on saturday, then have rusted spot welded with sheet metal.

BACARDI_DWB

uhh yeah i got pics here check these out they are not too pretty. i am really glad i am doing a rebuild. i have more pics that i have to load up but pretty much if i used this motor without a rebuild it would run for about 100 miles before destroying itself its in pretty bad shape. all the water passages in the head gasket were all stopped up. compression was great but the pistons were worn pretty bad. no issues just in bad need of a rebuild

here are the pics

http://www.nwsrt4.com/gallery/...18DET/

180sxmonster
Car: 180sx

good plans but i dont think anyone has ever pushed 700hp from a ca.... i dont think the japanese has either.... youll be the first..... i guess.....

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

just wondering whay SDS, it's a decent system for not too much money but it's very limited and you'll have to machine your head to use their CHTS, have you considered Megasquirt or VEMS?

compression

contact me if you want more info on the rear disc brake [email protected]

Thats funny that you should show a template of your ideal dashboard. I did the EXACT same thing when I was planning my 510...even drew it to scale on autocad, ended up not using it of course (for various reasons), but its fun to plan things like that.

boostleak

Sooo??? Any updates?

NSR_s30
Car: '99 Ford F250 7.3L Diesel, '71 Datsun 240Z

Cool project. Nice dime

duffman1278
Car: 89 240sx Hatch, the wildcats!

Great lookin car man! Have fun with it

datsundude
Car: Every Nissan Imagineable

great car! I am also starting a long term 1970 Datsun 510 project!

total_pwnage
Car: 08 Infinity QX56

I'm looking to start a 510 project soon. I cant wait to see the progress on yours.

Ryan@CiNcity
Car: Datsun 510

updates???? i think its been 2 years or so atleast..........

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

word.

Return to “Datsun 510 / Bluebird”