Project: Building a SR20DET Head to rev 9000K+ [PICS HEAVY]

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
ILikeMy240sx
Car: SR Power

I believe the one with cyro treated bottom end is Karmakaze.... not sure tho. I just have a stock rebuilt bottom end.

If I do another rebuild I will definitely have all forged internals with ARP hardwares...

Im not too confident on the bottom end's ability to take much load at RPMs higher than 8000.... I know Matt who constantly reved it out to 9000 ended up having spun rod bearings due to rod bolts stretching (he thinks)...

We'll see.

karmakaze
Car: 98 240sx SE

ILikeMy240sx wrote:I believe the one with cyro treated bottom end is Karmakaze.... not sure tho. I just have a stock rebuilt bottom end.

If I do another rebuild I will definitely have all forged internals with ARP hardwares...

Im not too confident on the bottom end's ability to take much load at RPMs higher than 8000.... I know Matt who constantly reved it out to 9000 ended up having spun rod bearings due to rod bolts stretching (he thinks)...

We'll see.
yes thats me. although i sold the cryo treated rods and pistons that came with it and bought eagle rods, 90mm CP pistons, Darton Sleves, ARP headbolts, and BC springs and retainers. I am probably going to send all of off to get cryo treated as well. I still need to get bearings but when I do I will definatly send those off. The improved wear and reduced friction makes it a no brainer in my book plus it really does not cost very much.

one thing that people tend to get confused about is that most alloys will not show much of a change in hardness due to cryo treating. however, the abrasion resistance of the metal, fatigue resistance, and heat conduction will be increased substantially.

prices:http://www.metal-wear.com/raci...s.htmh ... rices.html

more info:http://www.cryogenicsofindiana.com/raci ... yo...8.htm

redtop91
Car: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Start

Is cryo treatment an alternative to forging or can they be used in conjunction with one another for a uber high horsepower build?

karmakaze

redtop91 wrote:Is cryo treatment an alternative to forging or can they be used in conjunction with one another for a uber high horsepower build?
cryo treating is in no way an alternative to forging. they do completely different things.

they can be used in conjunction for extra badassness.

forging changes the hardness of the metal.cryo treating removes defects from the origional manufacturing processes making them less prone breaking.

since all of the molecules are now oriented in the same direction, friction is reduced.

heat is better disapated better because there is more contact between the molecules.

Slipstream
Car: '94 Sonoma, '90 300zx n/a

Did you have some keepers available fro sale on another thread? If so, I need about 6 of them if you still have'em.

ILikeMy240sx

UPDATE:

I received Enthalpy's re-tune and the idle is MUCH MUCH smoother. The target idle is set at 1000 RPM and it does have a bit of lopiness but not as much as before. Definitely bearable. The car pulls a bit harder too.

As for the dyno, the guy who knows how to use the Mustang dyno is pretty busy now and its not something I can just go and play around with haha. So I am waiting on him to be free so he can setup the dyno for me and I can go at it.

thang nguyen
Car: 1989 Nissan 240SX Fastback

Sounds great keep us updated. I still stuck on my suspension mods....damn ball joints. ....And currently low on funds so i'm gonna work on interior while trying to finance for forged internals and a couple more parts for the head.

otterman

edit: dont drink and post kids
Modified by otterman at 9:00 AM 4/1/2007

C - ROD
Car: SR20DET pignose hatch

so is the oil & water pump foing to be able to keep up at those high RPM's?

karmakaze

can someone explain this 2 me? so are the stage 3 BC cams for solid lifters or not? or should i stick with the stage 3 HKS cams?
email to BC wrote:I was wondering if your stage 3 cams for the s14 sr20det are designed to be used with solid lifters?
reply from BC wrote:We get this question quite a bit and the answer is the cams work well on both. The hydraulic profile is more aggressive by design, so it amplifies on the solid follower. It's snappier. The NASCAR Busch and Craftsmen truck engines (mechanical roller follower) made more power with the hydraulic roller designs than they did with the mechanical roller specific profiles. Same theory here.
Modified by karmakaze at 8:22 AM 4/5/2007

karmakaze

ttt

redtop91

I really don't get what they are saying...

karmakaze

redtop91 wrote:I really don't get what they are saying...
at least i am not the only one who is confused by them.

spider_slayer
Car: s14 240sx, s13 240sx

time for an update.

DrifterProdigy85
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx (Zenki Onevia)

BC Stage III 272 cams are for hydraulic setups but can be used on solid setups as well.

karmakaze

DrifterProdigy85 wrote:BC Stage III 272 cams are for hydraulic setups but can be used on solid setups as well.
yeah thats what i wound up buying. got them yesterday. still waiting on the tomei solid lifters though.

redtop91

Who is actually using solid lifters right now? What is the noise difference at idle, cruise and WOT?

oki_bum
Car: SR Powered 1990 240SX

Lets see that dyno, ILikeMy240sx!

C - ROD
Car: SR20DET pignose hatch

oki_bum wrote:Lets see that dyno, ILikeMy240sx!

ILikeMy240sx

blah... ive been so busy lately. With finals and moving out of my apartment. And I had to replace my intercooler due to a small hole on it.

I will get it to you soon. ;-)

Morph
Car: 91 Sr Powered Coupe

ILikeMy240sx wrote:blah... ive been so busy lately. With finals and moving out of my apartment. And I had to replace my intercooler due to a small hole on it.

I will get it to you soon. ;-)
Only excuse for not posting more progress is death...and you're still alive so, you have no excuse.

nonvtecaccord

Morph wrote:
Only excuse for not posting more progress is death...and you're still alive so, you have no excuse.

jubee
Car: 92hs13

i can wait till i get my lifters in and the car running. are you gonna post any videos or the car in action i wanna hear how she sounds.

Slipstream
Car: '94 Sonoma, '90 300zx n/a

ILikeMy240sx: By any chance do you have your old set of lifters for sale?

DrifterProdigy85
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx (Zenki Onevia)

Any Updates?

URAS
Car: 550hp RB26 in S13 and 450hp rb25 in R32

S13FASTBACKSR wrote:270s are too big for the gt30 imo..i would go with hks 264 step 2's..also i was talking to a guy who had a 500+whp sr and he is totally against ras..he has had first hand experience with different brands of them for the sr and he told me that without ras you will throw rocker pads at certain rpms but they do not break they just fall in the head somewhere..with ras they will still come off and not only do they come off..the ras breaks them into many many pieces

Modified by S13FASTBACKSR at 7:06 PM 2/11/2007
He must have assy or geometry issues, i have been using RAS for years with no bad experiences we buzz our built SR's to 8800-9k all day everyday. below is the pre RB26 setup 2 years of full time abuse 420 rwhp with a rev limit of 8800 still hydraulic with RAS no dramas. The other cars run tomei solids with HKS rocker arms and HKS 272 12mm and 11.5mm cams and a 9k rev limit. I have had some issues with non jap cams having "interesting" profiles.... causing rocker issues.

Nice write up, congrats.
Modified by URAS at 12:07 AM 5/14/2007

S13FASTBACKSR
Car: '92 Fastback SR powered

ya ive been doing some more research on those RAS. I didnt really find anything out accept that it hasnt happened to anyone else. that guy i heard that from seems a little kouki lol thats why i decided to look further...one guy told me that it would happen if you dont have a stiffer aftermarket valvespring stup and solid lifters and then when i confronted him about using RAS on his setup (which had aftermarket valvesprings but stock hydraulic lifters) he said ya i know i took a chance..so as i am pretty sure this would not happen on aftermarket valvetrain...i am still unsure if this would happen on stock valvetrain or not..i dont see why it would

URAS
Car: 550hp RB26 in S13 and 450hp rb25 in R32

S13FASTBACKSR wrote:ya ive been doing some more research on those RAS. I didnt really find anything out accept that it hasnt happened to anyone else. that guy i heard that from seems a little kouki lol thats why i decided to look further...one guy told me that it would happen if you dont have a stiffer aftermarket valvespring stup and solid lifters and then when i confronted him about using RAS on his setup (which had aftermarket valvesprings but stock hydraulic lifters) he said ya i know i took a chance..so as i am pretty sure this would not happen on aftermarket valvetrain...i am still unsure if this would happen on stock valvetrain or not..i dont see why it would
ahh yeah valve float will do it everytime, over rev the std springs and things get nasty. I limit all the std valve springed engines i tune regarless of output very close to the factory limit blacktop vct engines a little lower than red top.

S13FASTBACKSR
Car: '92 Fastback SR powered

oh ya valve float would definately do it no doubt about it but having valve float would mean you would have an aftermarket cam with a really high lift. I am wondering if the RAS will fly off on stock valvetrain only including stock cams but i highly highly doubt this

redtop91

The only problem I've heard with RAS is that some of the higher end ones chip.

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”