Project "Black Widow-Maker"

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
flartius
Car: 1996 - Nissan 240sx SE RB25DET
2008 - Yamaha YZF-R6 - SOLD
2007 - Ford F150 FX4

Alright, so as you guys already know just bought my 1996 S14 240sx a little over a week ago ( newcomer-t614712.html ) and been putting it through a 30 years old checkup. Doing small modifications here and there getting used to the car. So this starts my "build thread".

First thing I did was update the gauge cluster lighting.

The brakes were in desperate need of attention, it looked like it had new pads but the rotors were long overdue to be replaced. So instead of an OEM replacement I decided on a Q45 brake upgrade. So hit up ebay and found some OEM refurbished calipers, new rotors with ceramic pads, hit autozone up for new caliper brackets and hardware then today swapped them out. The process was SUPER EASY, just like a regular brake job and swapping out the calipers. These brakes have so much more stopping power than before! One thing that I would like to point out to the noob car enthusiast is that you WILL need to purchase new calipers, rotors, caliper brackets and hardware (caliper bracket bolts, caliper pins, pin boots) to do this conversion. But once you roundup all your necessary components its a breeze. Total brake upgrade cost me $200 maybe.

Before:

And after:

I even replaced one of the lug studs that was broke off, because race car that's why :gapteeth:

wa-chiss
Car: 1990 Nissan S13 H/C KA24E
2005 Toyota Sequoia
1976 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Good job on the 5 lug. Yet another thing on my to-do list.

unicoder
Car: 1995 240sx

Looks good bro. Thanks for letting me hang out and watch you do it!

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Excellent. Plans for rear brakes and/ or adjusting bias?

flartius
2007 - Ford F150 FX4

centralcoaster33 wrote:Excellent. Plans for rear brakes and/ or adjusting bias?
Yes, I'm researching it to see what all my options are at the moment. Budget is tights so I have to plan on what is the most needed at the time and instead of just repairing try to upgrade. Yesterday Unicoder and I worked on replacing a stuck thermostat and clearing the CEL, after stealing a working AIT sensor (thanks Unicorder), having another friend of mine with his OBD II reader clearing my codes, and new plugs and wires the light is gone and the car is idling smoothly :woot:

Unfortunately I ordered an S13 sunroof weather strip so I need to send it back or I would replace a broken seal yesterday too :facepalm: Sooooo anyone needing a new weather strip for their S13 let me know.

But the next project will be oil filter relocation from enjuku racing, its on back-order so it'll be a few weeks before that hits the car, but in the mean time more research and saving money towards, suspension, clutch, and a body kit (I hate the factory zenki front clip).

flartius
2007 - Ford F150 FX4

Well, an update to the build project long overdue. I did get the oil filter relocation in and running, did an oil and filter change while I was at it (Duh). Ordered wheels and tires from tirerack.com and got them put on. Did a raceland suspension kit and very satisfied with the results there. Scored a killer deal on a J30 diff ($70) and swapped it out last weekend.

Future plans: Build is slowly moving forward, I have been throwing every penny I can spare into savings and will be looking for a motor swap to put in the car. Hopefully by the end of the year I will have it in the car and running. Definitely after this heatwave we have been in these last two weeks I will be getting air conditioning in the car!!!!

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Great. You're getting all the basics covered. What's up with the diff swap? You don't mention if it's LSD or VLSD so I have to ask or assume. I'll just ask. Never heard of the coilovers... hows the car handling these days? They already handle great, so I'd hope that you'd feel like it handles even better. Do you need AC parts? I have a complete system on the shelf at home. I don't need AC on the central coast. I'm glad you manage to save some $$ every now and then. That's tough to do these days. I've been saving also and finally pulled the trigger on getting an engine rebuilt. It'll take a while, but I hope it works out for me. What engine would you be going for? PS - how's your twin's S14 coming along?

flartius
2007 - Ford F150 FX4

centralcoaster33 wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:05 pm
Great. You're getting all the basics covered. What's up with the diff swap? You don't mention if it's LSD or VLSD so I have to ask or assume. I'll just ask. Never heard of the coilovers... hows the car handling these days? They already handle great, so I'd hope that you'd feel like it handles even better. Do you need AC parts? I have a complete system on the shelf at home. I don't need AC on the central coast. I'm glad you manage to save some $$ every now and then. That's tough to do these days. I've been saving also and finally pulled the trigger on getting an engine rebuilt. It'll take a while, but I hope it works out for me. What engine would you be going for? PS - how's your twin's S14 coming along?
Sorry about that, yes it is a VLSD from a J30, the PO had pulled it out of an S13 because it didn't lock like he wanted it to while drifting. So he went to a welded and sold that one to me :)

The Racelands ride okay, they are what you'd expect from a $500 dollar set of coilovers, but they have a lifetime warranty and fully adjustable (camber, ride height, and spring load). So, its really hard to complain about them. It definitely helped the handling by lowering the center of gravity.

As far as the AC system, I need the condenser and soft lines running to and from the compressor. Fortunately the PO only pulled the condenser and just those lines (best I can tell). I am definitely interested and I'll shoot you a PM for details. Thanks in advance!

flartius
2007 - Ford F150 FX4

Hey, look what showed up at my house!

ca18det_boy

:dblthumb: Nice choice on the powerplant!!

flartius
2007 - Ford F150 FX4

Okay guys and girls, sorry it's been a minute since my last update. Been scrounging around for parts buying them when I can or catch someone selling off some of their hoarded inventory and we are getting ready to drop the motor in the car. Just finished cleaning out the engine bay and washing everything down good. Mounted the FMIC earlier this week and trimmed the front bumper out to fit it. Waiting on Cory at Chandler Autosports to finish up the harness and it'll be dropping in. Hopefully I'll be telling you guys its in and running next weekend but we'll see what happens. Everyone knows how swaps can go.

FMIC mounted up.

And the empty engine bay that we have all seen...

flartius
2007 - Ford F150 FX4

Annnnd Ta-Da! With a little patience waiting on Cory at Chandler Autosports for the harness, finally got this thing in the car! A little more odds and ends and this thing should be back on the street just in time for driving season.

flartius
2007 - Ford F150 FX4

Well, got the car idling and running good as of last Sunday night and took it for a spin. The car has a completely new attitude and I love it!!!!

I have a HKS 2.5" exhaust that was on there from the PO, with an ISR 3" test pipe, a Manzo 3" down pipe and the ISR 3" o2 housing the exhaust has that iconic exotic sound that RBs are known for!

Had the gauge cluster out to adjust the tach to read the new 6 cyl signal coming in, haven't gotten it quite adjusted perfectly but much closer than it was.

Was working on why the starter was intermittently not starting just clicking when I screwed up... :picard:

But hope is not lost! I was doing some digging and the one from the KA should be a direct replacement for the solenoid. Placed an order on Rockauto so hopefully be back in the running this weekend.

Mitec
Car: RB20 S13 hatch

pics aren't working /:

flartius
2007 - Ford F150 FX4

Lame... see if this works.

First pic.

Second pic.

flartius
2007 - Ford F150 FX4

So for those who don't know, and just to have hopefully an extra spot to see it searchable, the KA starter solenoid is a direct replacement for the RB20/25 starter solenoid. And FYI you can get it next day delivery from Rockauto.com cheaper than you can get it from autozone or o'reillys.

Rb on the left, new KA on the right.

Mounted to the starter.

Mitec
Car: RB20 S13 hatch

Pics are working now, keep up the good progress man :dblthumb: Glad to know that the KA starter will fir the RB20/25, I'm sure I'll be needing one when I get that far

flartius
2007 - Ford F150 FX4

Just so we’re clear, it is only the starter solenoid that is interchangeable. The starter itself you will have to rebuild or you can get a direct bolt on replacement from a Nissan forklift. Unsure of the part number but it’s a special order part for around $80.

Hit me up if you need help finding one and I’ll see if I can hunt down a part number.

TreyE
Car: 1995 Nissan 240SX - 2011 Honda Accord Coupe

How are you adjusting the tach to adjust to the 6cyl signal? It drives me crazy not to know what RPM it's at. We used to use a DRD Speedo Healer on my motorcycle when we would switch the gearing (sprockets). I wonder if something like that might work? Of course it would have to be soldered in somehow as they're made to be PnP with motorcycles. Idk, just thinking out loud.

I was thinking I would just have to mount an external tach in front of it or something.

DurableOilAMSOIL

Very nice build so far, what are you going to do with it once complete?

flartius
2007 - Ford F150 FX4

DurableOilAMSOIL wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:20 pm
Very nice build so far, what are you going to do with it once complete?
It's a project car... so I'm not sure if it ever becomes 'complete'. But long term I still have a few problems to fix and my end goal is 400 hp so I have awhile to go. I am also keeping an eye out for a clean s13 fastback roller for my next project, I have always thought the 180sx was soo freakin sexxxy so might try to pursue that.

ca18det_boy

Hey did you ever figure out your intermittent start? Also, are you using McKinnney mounts with the ISR O2 housing, if so how does the housing fit with those mounts?

flartius
2007 - Ford F150 FX4

ca18det_boy wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:43 am
Hey did you ever figure out your intermittent start? Also, are you using McKinnney mounts with the ISR O2 housing, if so how does the housing fit with those mounts?
Sorry I have been out of pocket as of late with work. No I am still chasing down the starter issue, tore the starter apart and had a brush that was sticking so I cleaned it up and got it worked loose but still having the same issues. Thinking next chance I get I'm gonna drop it off with a local guy to have it rebuilt and see if that clears it up.

I am using ISR mounts but there's enough clearance against the firewall you should be good with either set of mounts. I'll shoot you some pics if you want.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”