Project: 1967(69) Datsun Fairlady Roadster

Fairlady, Datsun Sports, Roadsters... whatever you want to call them, this is the place to discuss the Datsun SPL311 and SRL311!
readymix
Car: 1967 Datsun Fairlady Roadster

So, a friend of mine told me I should post this up here. Coming from Subarus, it's hard to find all the cool Nissan boards when you pick up a new project...so the word of mouth about Nicoclub.com is good enough to draw me in. That's a plus

On to the project. We'll get this out of the way right now...the build page I'm about to link you to has NOT been updated in a while because there isn't much interest in seeing pics of me, alone, in my garage, busting rusty bolts loose and taking it apart. I'm just weeks away (hopefully, you know how these things go) from painting the car. And that of course is when the fun begins, and there is actually something cool to look at. With that said, there is a section in the build page devoted to an SR20DET that got smoked by the previous owner, and the ****sacks at JDMEnginesCorp that I bought it from. Again, I know I'm a toolbag for not buying it on here or a Nissan forum in general. Trust me, that mistake wont happen again.

What is it: 1967(69) Datsun Fairlady Roadster. More on why I put the 69 on there laterWhat is going to happen to it: Full restore of the body and frame, SR20DET, GT2871R, Z32 Aluminum 30mm calipers up front, a slew of stuff, trust me...I don't disappoint in the car building threads department.

Currently, the SR20DET and tranny are rough mounted on the frame. All that is left to permanently mount it is to drill about 6 holes in the engine mounts on the frame and run the bolts through them. The tranny is also on the mount, just needs a nut to bolt it down tight.The body has gone through many changes, most notably when I pulled the VIN plate off the 67 that I originally bought, and slapped it on the 69 because the 67 was entirely too rotted out to consider restoring it. I'm all for doing work and putting in some sweat equity, but we're talking thousands in sheet metal and tons of time behind the welding wire. So, I picked up a mint 69 model, and since it had only been about a month since I registered the 67, I decided that my 69 is now a 67. I'm not a car collector type, I don't resell cars that I spend tons of time on. I will likely have this car till I die. At which point, I'll probably put the old VIN plate back on, re-title it as a 69 as it should be, and sell it.The body is currently unbolted from it's frame, I actually have 2 frames (was 3 frames and 3 bodies, but I've since gotten rid of some of them), one that has the SR20 mounted, the other is under the body I intend to use. Kinda complicated, but trust me, it'll all come together into one car eventually.

Here's a link to my build page, since I'm kinda long winded, and I don't want to drive folks off with my jibba jabba. http://www.t3hw00t.com/datsun/

As I've said, it isn't updated yet, and I'll be updating it very soon as the paintwork begins in a couple weeks. Just wasn't alot of interest in seeing my fat *** getting dirty pulling carpet out of cars.

-Jason

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

readymix wrote:So, a friend of mine told me I should post this up here. Coming from Subarus, it's hard to find all the cool Nissan boards when you pick up a new project...so the word of mouth about Nicoclub.com is good enough to draw me in. That's a plus

On to the project. We'll get this out of the way right now...the build page I'm about to link you to has NOT been updated in a while because there isn't much interest in seeing pics of me, alone, in my garage, busting rusty bolts loose and taking it apart. I'm just weeks away (hopefully, you know how these things go) from painting the car. And that of course is when the fun begins, and there is actually something cool to look at. With that said, there is a section in the build page devoted to an SR20DET that got smoked by the previous owner, and the ****sacks at JDMEnginesCorp that I bought it from. Again, I know I'm a toolbag for not buying it on here or a Nissan forum in general. Trust me, that mistake wont happen again.

What is it: 1967(69) Datsun Fairlady Roadster. More on why I put the 69 on there laterWhat is going to happen to it: Full restore of the body and frame, SR20DET, GT2871R, Z32 Aluminum 30mm calipers up front, a slew of stuff, trust me...I don't disappoint in the car building threads department.

Currently, the SR20DET and tranny are rough mounted on the frame. All that is left to permanently mount it is to drill about 6 holes in the engine mounts on the frame and run the bolts through them. The tranny is also on the mount, just needs a nut to bolt it down tight.The body has gone through many changes, most notably when I pulled the VIN plate off the 67 that I originally bought, and slapped it on the 69 because the 67 was entirely too rotted out to consider restoring it. I'm all for doing work and putting in some sweat equity, but we're talking thousands in sheet metal and tons of time behind the welding wire. So, I picked up a mint 69 model, and since it had only been about a month since I registered the 67, I decided that my 69 is now a 67. I'm not a car collector type, I don't resell cars that I spend tons of time on. I will likely have this car till I die. At which point, I'll probably put the old VIN plate back on, re-title it as a 69 as it should be, and sell it.The body is currently unbolted from it's frame, I actually have 2 frames (was 3 frames and 3 bodies, but I've since gotten rid of some of them), one that has the SR20 mounted, the other is under the body I intend to use. Kinda complicated, but trust me, it'll all come together into one car eventually.

Here's a link to my build page, since I'm kinda long winded, and I don't want to drive folks off with my jibba jabba. http://www.t3hw00t.com/datsun/

As I've said, it isn't updated yet, and I'll be updating it very soon as the paintwork begins in a couple weeks. Just wasn't alot of interest in seeing my fat *** getting dirty pulling carpet out of cars.

-Jason
Hey Jason, welcome to your new family. We pride ourselves here at NICO for being above the rest. Anything you could ever want to know is on this site somewhere. All you have to do is search for it. If that doesn't turn any result, just ask. Someone around here knows.

His Subie is pretty hot, and he comes reccomended from a personal friend of mine from the Navy. Jason is cool beans and alright by me...there ya go, you got a moderator endorsement...just don't abuse it...lol.

I looked through his build page, and it's pretty cool seein an SR get dumped into an old Fairlady. Love those cars.

Take car man, talk at ya later.

readymix

Haha, thanks man!

It's funny, I've never met you in person, but I've talked with you for years now. And now here I am a Nissan guy on a Nissan forum. Not that I plan on selling the Subaru anytime soon, but this place seems like a great site so far. I have to admit, I've peeked around here from time to time looking for info about SR20's but never joined because I was scared of another forum. Thanks for the welcome...good to know someone here.

As for the Subaru, a quick rundown on that thing:

2.5L STi block, WRX heads, 272 cams, titanium valvetrainGT3582R, 44mm Tial wastegatePPG 1-4 striaght cut gearsetCurrently with fuel issues, it makes 350whp and 325wtq at 6000 rpms...above 6000 and my fuel seems to lose pressure. I'm still working on that.Once the fuel issue is fixed, I'll get tuned on 110octane and see where it goes from there. Here is a video of the car at the 2008 Ice Race last January. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtTAbh9GzZM

That whining sound is the gears doing their thing.

phlebmaster
Car: 1973 240z L26 4spd rip roar and ready to go!

Welcome to the forum readymix!!

DJButton
Car: 2010 Nissan 240sx

Awesome project, love it!

nsrZ32
Car: 90 300ZX TT, 78 280Z, 71 521 Pickup, 98 Sentra 2.0 SE, 02 Altima 3.5 SE, 01 Focus s2

Nice project!

Welcome to NICO

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Very cool

When you are done I want to do a full overview article on the car and feature it on our homepage

readymix

audtatious wrote:Very cool

When you are done I want to do a full overview article on the car and feature it on our homepage
Wow! Rock on I'll definately keep you posted. And thanks for the warm welcome

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

We roll that way...

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Welcome home!

<-- Fellow [multiple] Roadster owner...

Oh, and SCREW JDMENGINESCORP.COM for sending you that pile of goop disguised as a motor!

NSR_s30
Car: '99 Ford F250 7.3L Diesel, '71 Datsun 240Z

Awesome project. Welcome home.

basskronick
Car: I drive a pontiac, and i love it, but i have nissan in my heart, I'm also the owner of a first gen q

Sex on wheels, brutha!!!!!

readymix

Ok, I'm hooked. You guys rock. I've been kinda miffed about the local Suabru thing lately, but this has been a breath of fresh air.

This weekend we are pulling the body off, I'll be sure to post some serious updates this time around.

Thanks again and again for the warm welcome!

audtatious

Are you planning any additional chassis bracing while the body is off? Old frames don't like power that much and may flex more than expected.

readymix

audtatious wrote:Are you planning any additional chassis bracing while the body is off? Old frames don't like power that much and may flex more than expected.
The Roadster chassis is surprisingly beefy, it is based off a pickup truck chassis from what I can tell. But yes, I plan on welding a 3" square beam support just aft of the x-brace below the driveshaft. Due to the nature of the engine mounts and the mods that had to be done to the crossmember and the x-brace, there has been alot of stitchwelding and boxing of the frame. There is a 1" square tube that has been welded on the forward part of the x-frame for the transmission mount that will help lateral flex at the front end of the x-brace, and the rear 3" tube should cover rear lateral flex. The rear axle is solid, so as long as the rear is assembled correctly and tightly, it should be pretty stout, the front end lower ball joints are relatively new, so that should help things in the front. The front sway bar is being replaced with a larger competition swaybar which should add rigidity up there, and we are going to weld in some stiffer braces for the sway bar mid-mount points.

Then round it all off with KYB Gas-a-justs front and rear, and new competition springs up front (lowers the car 2" as a result ), along with new bushings wherever I can jam them, and it should be pretty stout for a 40 year old car.

The only other thing I can think of would be to triangle brace the rear frame corners and the front frame corners. But I'll cross that road when I come to it.

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

readymix wrote:Ok, I'm hooked. You guys rock. I've been kinda miffed about the local Suabru thing lately, but this has been a breath of fresh air.

This weekend we are pulling the body off, I'll be sure to post some serious updates this time around.

Thanks again and again for the warm welcome!
You're welcome, Jason.

Be sure to let me know if you ever head really far to the west...hint hint.

readymix

Gold Digger wrote:
You're welcome, Jason.

Be sure to let me know if you ever head really far to the west...hint hint.
Will do bud. We are talking about going to California for a vacation sometime in the next year or so. Not sure if that is West enough for you

And this thread has made me pumped to work on the car this weekend. I'll definately have the d70s warmed up and ready to snap tons of pics.

readymix

Update bump.

http://www.t3hw00t.com/datsun/

Got the body up on some sawhorses to begin sanding stuff down and body filling and such. I'll be cranking away at it for the next few weeks. Turns out the windshield was cracked, it got a spiderweb through the center while we were removing it. And we found a very minor rust hole that we need to patch. But otherwise, this thing is CLEAN.

aspitfire
Car: SR20 Datsun Roadster

UPDATE!!

Long story short, I purchased this project from Jason late last year. Current progress on the car since then:

Front suspension is fully rebuilt and done with new upper and lower ball joints and new bushings, and bearings. All exposed metal parts have been sand blasted/taken apart and POR15 has been applied to them.
Rear suspension is about the same, i have decided to ditch the factory metal leaf springs in favor for a set of composite mono leafs that will be much stiffer and lighter.

The frame has been finished to my liking as of right now, and is fully powdercoated.

The body is scheduled to go to my body/paint guy in December. I have a few modifications yet to make before i get it to him. The car is going to be painted Nissan Daytona blue. I will post some progress pics and parts pics soon. Just been busy with Subaru stuff as of late, but now its all Datsun time!

audtatious

Glad to see this is still moving forward. Pix?

aspitfire

Got the garage organized last night. I will snap some pics tonight. Not much to look at right now though.

aspitfire

sorry for the delay in getting updated pictures had a bunch of issues come up with our winter cars (clutch, struts, springs, tie rods, ball joints) that i had to sort through. I finally should be able to get some current pics up this weeked.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Awesomest zombie thread revival of the year! :)

aspitfire

AZhitman wrote:Awesomest zombie thread revival of the year! :)
Agreed! My bad, i know ive said i would put some pics up, but i have been swamped getting other car stuff done. My STi decided it wanted to spin a bearing a couple months ago, so i have been planning my rebuild on that. Had to pick up a new winter car for myself (forester) the clutch went on it a couple weeks after i got it. Then the girls winter car (impreza) i did a bunch of work to it including a plasti dip job on the whole car, and now i am having issues with either the center diff/or front axle. I havent had a chance to get underneith it yet due to the weather here in MN and having too many damn cars and so little space.

The garage is currently being taken up by the roadster frame with the front suspension on and motor and trans mocked. Then the body is sitting next to it, waiting for my body guy to come and pick it up. Next to that sits my girls BRZ. So right now i need to diagnose/finish up her impreza that i gave her so she can drive it this winter.

So that being said...i know its a bunch of excuses, but i will get some updated pics up. There isnt really much to see right now.

My dilema i am trying to decide on is where to mount the fuel cell. I cant decide if i should just mount it in the trunk, or mount it to the frame, and have it flush to the floor of the trunk. I will still be utilizing a rear fuel door.

Any suggestions or ideas on how i should mount the fuel cell? Its just a standard 10 gal aluminum cell.

aspitfire

btw, ive been trying to buy some parts on here, when can i send receive private messages?

AZhitman
Administrator

:) One more post, brother.

On the fuel cell question, why not just restore (or replicate) a factory tank?

Placement is easy: Definitely use the stock location (for several reasons): Keeps the CG lower, you'll still have a trunk, you won't have to move the fuel inlet (PITA), and it'll look "correct" from the rear.

aspitfire

Good question, couple reasons. Cost, i got a great deal on the fuel cell, it would have cost me around $500-700 to have the tank restored/dipped/lined and modified for a different pump. This option is going to cost me half that much including an external pump. I planned on running AN fuel lines anyway, im not skimping cost on some things. second reason is, I have a feeling the car is going to turn into an auto cross/road course car. I already have my street toys with the Subaru's but i wanted something i could drive to events and compete in. So i just decided to take care of the fuel right away.

My plan was to mount the cell using straps and mount it between the frame, and have it sit flush with the trunk floor. I have to get this done before the car goes out to my body work guy, so...soonish. lol

The cell i got came with an inlet/elbow that will allow me to use the factory fuel door location...a locking Spearco fuel door is going to be put in its place however. It also isnt much bigger than the stock tank, its a little bit deeper is all, about 3" deeper.

Composite rear springs will be here by the end of the month, then i can finally throw the rims/tires on the chassis and have it finally "roll" Once the body is out for work, i will finalize what rear end i am going to use (probably stock until i get all the bugs worked out) and eventually swap a FC Rx-7 LSD rear end down the road. Plumb all the brake and fuel lines, and wait for the body to be complete.

I want the car to look correct, but im not paying to have the car be original thats for sure. Plan is to drive the piss out of it and hope it never see's a day on a trailer. My paint and body guy is working within my budget and knows my plans for it, knows i dont want it perfect and knows that its never going to be a show car, but still want it to look nice.

AZhitman
Administrator

Sounds real good.

The guy that built my 2 stroker motors for me is a big-time Roadster builder (most of his are show-winners at Solvang), and he has several 300-400hp Roadsters under his belt (lots of SR-powered ones). He'd be a guy to rap with, might even be a good source for some goodies.

aspitfire

can you pm me his contact information, always good to know more people!

thanks!

Return to “Datsun Roadster”