Procedure for replacing 98 Timing Chain w/o removing head?

General discussion area for the L30-chassis Altima
enuffcoffee
Car: Altima 98

Just bought a 98 Altima with 206 K miles on it. Can't wait to get it on the road.
Is their a procedure for replacing the Altima 98 Timing Chain w/o removing the head? Apparently someone named Hitman has posted one. I was hoping to find one with pictures.

Timothy S
Car: 1998 Nissan Altima GXE, Auto RE4FO4A, KA24DE Engine

I replaced the timing chain in my 98 altima a couple years ago. You can remove the upper and lower timing covers after removing the valve cover and aluminum oil pan. No, you cannot remove the lower cover without removing the center frame member and two center engine mounts to drop the oil pan. You can replace the chain at this point and the only reason they tell you to remove the head is to install a new head gasket. If you dont break the old gasket or are willing to take the risk, you can use rtv sealant around the head gasket between the upper and lower timing covers and just put everything back together.
Timothy S
1998 Altima with 129k

Carrameow
Car: 98 Altima

I am replacing the upper and lower timing chain on my 98 Altima.

I match the three painted links on the upper chain to the timing marks on each of the three sprockets ( intake cam, exhaust cam and idler ).

I then turn the engine to TDC by hand three or four times ( 2 revolutions for each pass to TDC ). I notice that the painted links no longer match up to the timing marks on the sprockets.

The painted links shift with respect to the timing marks on the sprockets on each turn to TDC. However all three painted links shift by the same amount (counting link pins)

Shouldn't the painted links stay at the same position as I set them originally and match up to the timing marks on each of the three sprockets?

Timothy S
Car: 1998 Nissan Altima GXE, Auto RE4FO4A, KA24DE Engine

Because Altima timing chains have an odd number of links, each revolution of the chain, or around 2 revolutions of the crank, places the chain off the mark by another link. I have seen the marks line up again after countless rotations of the crankshaft. Should be around 90 turns! If the marks are all off by the same amount and used to be right, you will be fine.

Return to “2nd Generation Altima Sedan (1998-2001)”