Problems with 93 ka24de MAF

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
mattaltima99
Car: 1999 Nissan Altima KA24DE, Spectra Cold Air intake, OBX 4-1 Headers, OBX 10.36 Spark Wires, Flowmaster super 44

My 93 ka24de tries to die when any kind of resistance of wind hits the temp sensors in it. i can actually put my hand 2-3 inches in front of it and it will try and die instantly. Is this a bad MAF or does it need to have the air filter hosing put on it? f.y.i. i just got this car built and motor in the body and dont have any cold air intake or stock intake hooked up yet.. and also you can put the car outside and once the wind hits the maf it starts totry and die again! please help :bs:

4cefed
Car: 92 240SX Coupe
03 SRT-4
Various Dodge POSs

If I understand what you are doing.... The engine is running while you have the MAFS unhooked from the intake piping and connected electrically? Are you blowing into the the thing? Don't do that.

Those aren't temp sensors, those wires carry current and measure resistivity to help the ECU figure out how much air is going into the engine. If you are blowing air into them, then the ECU thinks the engine is sucking tons and tons of air. The ECU responds by dumping fuel in the engine, of course it will die out. If the MAFS actually dies it's not going to ruin your engine.

mattaltima99
Car: 1999 Nissan Altima KA24DE, Spectra Cold Air intake, OBX 4-1 Headers, OBX 10.36 Spark Wires, Flowmaster super 44

The MAF is hooked up to the stock piping but it doenst have any other filter or bracket on the other side where the filter is supposed to be... but when i get the car outside to test drive with no hood or filter on the maf the engine cuts out and tries to die, but when the cars in the garage it idles like new car lol. Should i just get a filter on the maf and that will cure the problem?

My other car i have is an altima with the ka24de from 99 and it runs just fine when the air filter is off of the maf even if i put my hand 2-3 inches away from it it will still idle like it should..

Thanks for the reply

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”