Problems Filling the Gas Tank

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Ryan B
Car: 2006 M35X

I've encountered a strange problem with my M35x. There will be times when I am trying to fill the tank and the gas nozzle auto shut-off will get tripped long before the tank could possible be filled (like after 3 or 4 gallons have been dispensed).

After that nothing I do will keep the nozzle from shutting itself off. The only way to put more gas into the tank it to keep squeezing the nozzle to pump the gas in little by little. It's a real pain.

It doesn't happen every time, but it's happened to me twice now. I was just wondering if it had happened to anyone else and if there were any remedies out there.

ninjaserver

I have had that happen several times before on different cars. I usually just take the pump out of the tank and put it back in and wiggle it around a bit.

Ryan B

I've tried taking the pump handle out, jiggling it, trying different angles (not many are available) and even moving to a different pump. Nothing seemed to help.

larry.contrisciano
Car: Infiniti M35 sport 06' and Acura TL 04'

Ryan,

I do not have this problem with my car. BUT, I did have it on an 02' Audi A6. I think it's some kind of vapor lock in there. Shouldn't the dealer be able to fix it????

Jesda

Is there not a TSB/recall for a new gas tank and filler neck? I think I remember reading that in Automobile Mag.

Ryan B

hmmm. Found a nice thread about this problem here.

Sounds like the best advice is to pull the nozzle an inch or so out of the tank and let it fill that way.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Ryan B wrote:Sounds like the best advice is to pull the nozzle an inch or so out of the tank and let it fill that way.
This advice above is what I do to solve this problem - happens on many cars that I have owned and driven recently!

I have found it also depends a lot on the "tightness" of the fit between the gas nozzle and the car tank. So, leaving it a bit loose seems to work better.

Additionally, in California, the problem is exacerbated by the rubber "seal" that they place around the pump nozzle to prevent gasoline fumes from escaping into the atmosphere - our CA legal enviro-nuts in action. This seal tends to confuse the pump prematurely, with a build-up of a vacuum sooner than it should. So, again, the advice above works out to work better.

Z

david2u

I have an 06' m35x...had the same problem.

The fix was that Infiniti had to change the gas tank.

They tried everything...nothing worked except changing out the tank.

Sounds like a design flaw.

szh

david2u wrote:I have an 06' m35x...had the same problem.

The fix was that Infiniti had to change the gas tank.

They tried everything...nothing worked except changing out the tank.

Sounds like a design flaw.
I seem to recall that the G35 had a similar problem where the gas tank was replaced for owners who found it too difficult. I did not know that the M35 had a similar issue ... hope this turns out to be a nominal issue for everybody!

Z

david2u

The problem with the M is that it has 2 tanks connected by a bridge.

Very similar to an aircraft.

There is one tank on the left and one on the right, and the connecting bridge goes over the drive shaft.

It has two floats and sensors that monitor the fuel level and transfers fuel to the tanks to balance them out.

No matter what I did, it would never take more than 3/4 of a tank and just start kicking out.

I tried to force feed it at very slow rates....still kicked it out.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Just jack up your car way up on the same side the gas filler is on.....

szh

elwesso wrote:Just jack up your car way up on the same side the gas filler is on.....
At the gas station, Wes?

Z

Jesda

Jesda wrote:Is there not a TSB/recall for a new gas tank and filler neck? I think I remember reading that in Automobile Mag.
Now I remember where I read that. It was in a long-term test of the 02 Q45. Nevermind.

superjv1080
Car: M45 + FX35

Filled my new M45 up for the first time and the pump stopped at 11 gallons. I didn't force any more in. Started the car and the fuel gauge shows just under 3/4 full. I was down close to empty if that should matter. I'll try the various work arounds. I think jacking the car up is a great idea! I just love the idea of having the screw around trying to fill up my 60k car.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”