Problem with water pump and gasket

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
shrikantv
Car: Infiniti G37 Convertible 2010

Hi,

I have an Infiniti G37 2010 Convertible that I have driven for around 50k miles. My car heated up while I was driving, and I took it to a local Infiniti Service center. They said that I need to replace water pump due to coolant leak, and also cautioned me that I needed inner timing cover as gasket started to come come out of inner cover oil galley). I was surprised to learn about this in a relatively lower miles driven car. Have any of you had any similar experience?

Also, they are quoting around $1300 to replace water pump and $2200 for inner timing cover. Since its such an expensive repair, I am wondering if I can postpone the repair or have it done by someone outside for cheaper. Any advice is deeply appreciated!

Thanks
SV

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

You can most definitely get it done by a non-dealer. They should be able to slash that price quite drastically. I'd definitely get another opinion on that repair.
Check your oil to make sure there isn't actually wear through the timing cover to where coolant mixes with the oil. If not, just keep the fluids topped off and keep an eye on the temp gauge. You should be able to limp it around and get shops to take a look at it.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Also, Welcome to NICO!

shrikantv
Car: Infiniti G37 Convertible 2010

Thank you for your reply. I checked the oil, and the oil level seems to be holding up. So I doubt if there is any oil leak at all.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Good deal. If it doesn't look like chocolate milk, you should be fine to drive it for now as long as it doesn't overheat.

ColBatGuano

shrikantv wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:15 pm
Hi,

I have an Infiniti G37 2010 Convertible that I have driven for around 50k miles. My car heated up while I was driving, and I took it to a local Infiniti Service center. They said that I need to replace water pump due to coolant leak, and also cautioned me that I needed inner timing cover as gasket started to come come out of inner cover oil galley). I was surprised to learn about this in a relatively lower miles driven car. Have any of you had any similar experience?

Also, they are quoting around $1300 to replace water pump and $2200 for inner timing cover. Since its such an expensive repair, I am wondering if I can postpone the repair or have it done by someone outside for cheaper. Any advice is deeply appreciated!

Thanks
SV
How did everything turn out? What did you have to pay?

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”