Problem with the power outlet

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
c5neb
Car: 2007 Fresh Powder Versa SL

I was installimg a radar detector the other day and used the power outlet. I was surprised to find it dead with the ignition on or off. The dealer did a quick check and found the wires connected to the outlet and the fuses were intact. Any ideas out there? I don't want to waste a day at the dealer for just this issue.

c5neb
Car: 2007 Fresh Powder Versa SL

I solved my own problem... I removed the shifter shroud and then the power outlet panel only to notice that the L-shape power connector was only connected to the positive and the negative (ground) blade of the outlet was exposed. Once reconnected properly, the outlet works great.

philmcneal
Car: Civic Coupe Se 04

whats the max amount of wattage it can go through the ciggarette lighter?

Elmojo
Car: 2007 Versa SL

According to the Owner's Manual, page 2-22, "The outlet is rated at 12 Volt, 129W (10A) maximum."Oddly, the next page warns not to use the outlet when the A/C, headlights, or rear defroster are on. So I guess we can't run our laptops or charge our phones at night?

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

Hmmm.. sounds like maybe we have an underpowered alternator in our cars?

Kermee

Elmojo wrote:According to the Owner's Manual, page 2-22, "The outlet is rated at 12 Volt, 129W (10A) maximum."Oddly, the next page warns not to use the outlet when the A/C, headlights, or rear defroster are on. So I guess we can't run our laptops or charge our phones at night?
Phones should be okay. Laptops should be okay too unless your laptop requires 100W or more. (i.e. basically the laptop is on and charging the battery at the same time).

I can't believe the alternator would be that underpowered. It's only 10A of 12VDC which is barely anything. I think it's just a safety issue. The other thing it could be is that the outlet is on the same fuse/circuit as the other devices but I don't have the manual in front of me to check that.

Cheers,Kermee

GizmoDVD
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL

Is there a standard power outlet in the versa or just the ciggy adapter?

1337sizz0rz
Car: VERSA SL

Elmojo wrote:According to the Owner's Manual, page 2-22, "The outlet is rated at 12 Volt, 129W (10A) maximum."Oddly, the next page warns not to use the outlet when the A/C, headlights, or rear defroster are on. So I guess we can't run our laptops or charge our phones at night?
Uh-Oh!I guess I know now what my first mod will be.

rwanttaja

The amount of power a phone charger will draw is trival. Laptop will be higher, but if it's a Dell, use an asbestos pad. :-)

My older (4 years) Compaq's power supply provides about 60 watts...about half the limit of the Versa's power outlet.

I can't believe the Versa uses a single fuse to run the headlights, AC, and defroster. I suspect the warning is more of a general caution against maximum power draw rather than a caution that you'll blow a fuse if you charge your phone at night.

Ron

Return to “Versa General Chat”