Problem with the Information Display in a brand new Rogue

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
BillyCuth
Car: 2007 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2015 Nissan Rogue SV

Hi all,

I am just posting this for visibility, to see if anyone else has experienced something similar and how they had it resolved. So far, I have been to service once, but with no resolution. I knew the moment this issue reared its head and then went away it would be one of those issues that service would not be able to recreate, and therefore could not do anything about.

However, it's now occurred 3 separate times, and it is starting to become very concerning. Especially for a brand new vehicle.

Here is a video of the problem - as you can see my wife is driving the car and the Information Display is simply blank - a white screen. This problem has occurred 3 times since we brought the car home and I am at a loss. Any advice would be appreciated.

I've already reached out to service, Nissan USA and Nissan Corp for help as well. Lemon law???

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Welcome to NICO! Sorry to hear that your car is having trouble. I would surmise you've got a defective display unit. While lemon laws vary from state to state, you generally have to give them three opportunities to fix it before escalating the issue. Even then, not every car problem automatically can be classified as a problem covered under lemon laws.

BillyCuth
2015 Nissan Rogue SV

I've only ever purchased 3 new cars in my life (this being #3). It was not a great experience from the beginning and this is just icing on the cake.

Hopefully it can be fixed, but having any issue this early into ownership does not inspire confidence. Both of my other new car purchases were flawless for the first few years.

Thanks for the response.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

I understand completely and do feel for you. While it's no fun to have to put up with nonsense, you made a smart move posting the video here. Should the problem reoccur, please try and get video (safely of course), and upload it here. If you could also document any and all details at the time, that may be of help as well.

I'd be real interested to see if this a one-off fluke, or if it's a new glitch to watch out for. Please keep us updated!

BillyCuth
2015 Nissan Rogue SV

I reached out to Nissan on Twitter and Facebook and got an immediate response. They promise a phone call by tomorrow night.

We'll see what happens.

I did extensive google research and see nothing anywhere that's similar to what I am experiencing. I hope I am not uncovering a common problem.

I also hope that my dashboard does not have to be ripped apart to fix the issue. Because then I will be pushing for a new vehicle or some kind of compensation.

BillyCuth
2015 Nissan Rogue SV

Latest update - the problem occurred again this morning - the 4th documented time my wife has turned her brand new car on to be greeted by a blank white information display.

Here is another video, showing what happens when she tries to turn the car off and then back on in an effort to make the issue stop. Does not work. Later today the car was fine again.

The dealer we bought it at agreed to take it to the Nissan Tech line which is a national tech help line for dealers which aims to provide more comprehensive data - especially for rare, impossible to replicate issues. The dealer called me back after this latest video, and told me that Nissan has agreed to authorize the replacement of Combination Meter.

I had no idea what that was, but a google search seems to indicate it's essentially a replacement of the entire instrument cluster.

This does not really inspire confidence at all in a new vehicle. I almost want them to just give me a different one.
Last edited by Rogue One on Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix video link

BillyCuth
2015 Nissan Rogue SV

Small update - the issue persists and has actually increased in frequency.

I went to Nissan through social media and they got right on it. Having video of the problem has expedited the dealer's response.

The combination meter or whatever is in, and we have an appointment setup for next Tuesday for it to be installed. Wish me luck!

Still not really happy about this on a brand new vehicle though.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

BillyCuth wrote:This does not really inspire confidence at all in a new vehicle. I almost want them to just give me a different one.
I feel for you, but if you're suggesting they should replace it with another Rogue, I'd ask why? Given the problem you've had with this one, why take a chance on another one?

Here's something to think about, I purchased a brand new Ford Tempo back in '86. Two weeks later, it had to be towed back to the dealership as it had a bad seal and all of the oil had leaked out. I actually liked the car and opted to keep it. Fast forward two years later and the transaxle crapped out. Needless to say, I'll never own another Ford.

You'll have to weigh your options, and do what you think is best. At the very least, I'd try getting some type of recompense. Hopefully this will be your only issue, and the new dash will solve the problem.

BillyCuth
2015 Nissan Rogue SV

It speaks to quality control. I dunno. Sometimes I just get the feeling with cars that when one thing goes wrong, more things will follow. Is it irrational? Perhaps.

Electrical systems can be some of the worst components of a vehicle to have go bad, especially those that are computer related. It seems when something goes wrong in that area, the car is just never right. I could see that becoming an issue over time. We'll see.

Is it as big as a brand new transmission failing? No. But it still isn't great.

BillyCuth
2015 Nissan Rogue SV

Took the car in this morning to have the combination meter replaced (well, my wife did). I get an emailed report of the work completed - and there is no indication that any combination meter was replaced.

I think that they had her bring the car in and sit there for an hour while they did nothing. I am not happy, and if this issue comes back again, I am going to consider getting a lawyer. This is absolutely ridiculous.

I contacted them about the report, so perhaps there is a reason for this, but I had something done on it before and they listed the parts that were replaced. The fact that this report only restates what we said was the problem and doesn't list parts replaced, there's a real red flag in my mind.

BillyCuth
2015 Nissan Rogue SV

Combination meter confirmed replaced and since then, there has been no issue.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

BillyCuth wrote:Combination meter confirmed replaced and since then, there has been no issue.
Thanks for the update! Did they offer you any type of compensation?

BillyCuth
2015 Nissan Rogue SV

Nope.

Return to “Rogue Forum”