Problem with stabilizer bar... F50 Q45

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
HollywoodJackson
Car: 2004 Infiniti G35
1990 Nissan 240SX Hatchback
1990 Nissan 240SX Coupe

I just installed a set of coilovers today. The stabilizer connecting rods that were replaced, were the same size. Now, it's not. The distance between the mount for the stabilizer connecting rod on the coilovers, is shorter than on the OEM strut assembly.

On the driver side, the distance for the stabilizer connecting rod is about 11 inches. On the passenger side, its about 8 inches. How do I get both sides to be the same distance?

Right now I only have one stabilizer connecting rod installed. Any tips?

All the best,
~HollywoodJackson~

EdBwoy

Are you saying this is a coilover defect whereby the mount is higher off the ground on the driver side?

HollywoodJackson
1990 Nissan 240SX Coupe

No. The coilovers seem to be made very well. Of course the coilovers are shorter than the OEM strut assembly. So the distance from the upper stabilizer connecting rod mount on the coilover is closer to the spindle than the OEM strut assembly. The coilover kit came with two adjustable connecting rods.

When I installed the driver side, I adjusted the connecting rod to the height that would fit, and adjusted the passenger side at the same length. Only to find out later, for some reason the stabilizer bar is about 2-3 inches closer to the coilover stabilizer connecting mount in the passenger side.

I think this is due to some mistake I made during the install.

All the best,
~HollywoodJackson~

EdBwoy

I can't quite clearly picture what the issue is, but what if you just installed the adjustable links at full length then tightened both progressively jumping from left to right until they're the same?

It seems you're saying the mounts on the coilovers are at the same height from the spindle on both the left and right side - both sides lower than OEM, but both equally low.

The stabilizer bar shouldn't see-saw, but could you have bumped it to either the left or right side sliding along the mounts... so it just seems lower but is actually farther left/right?

HollywoodJackson
1990 Nissan 240SX Coupe

That could be possible. Especially seeing as how I stripped one of the lower stabilizer connecting rod bolts, and carefully drove the car to AutoZone with the connecting rod dangling. I do recall it bumping my driveway when I backed out. Maybe this pushed it up a few inches?

I probably toasted it 😔

HollywoodJackson
1990 Nissan 240SX Coupe

SOLVED (well, there was no problem!)

What was happening was, since I only had one side of the car jacked up, and the other front wheel on the ground, the stabilizer bar was under some torque.

I took the car to a DIY garage, put it on a lift, and installed the connecting rod with no problem! Cost me $25 lift fee for the hour. They say the game is to be sold, and not told. Lesson learned!

All the best,
~HollywoodJackson~

EdBwoy

Well, glad you got that sorted out fairly cheaply. I suppose most times I've dealt with the stabilizer components the car has been on jack stands with either 2 or all 4 wheels off the he ground.

Thanks for sharing the update.

HollywoodJackson
1990 Nissan 240SX Coupe

UPDATE: What I think about the coilovers...

It's been three and a half months since I've installed the BC Racing BR series coilovers. The ride is AMAZING. Of course it's much stiffer than the OEM active suspension. There are 32 settings for dampening. I have the fronts at the softest setting, and the rears are 8 steps stiffer. There is still a bit of a smooth ride when cruising around town on city streets. The big difference is on the freeway!

I've had the car going on three years now. With the OEM suspension, I never felt confidence with the car on the freeway going over 100 MPH. I drove the car to Tucson 3 months ago. It felt GREAT at 120 MPH (some stretches in Mexico, of course LOL)!

I've played with the ride height a few times, and currently the car is approximately 1.5-2 inches lower. Thinking about rolling the fenders and getting some aftermarket wheels next.

Here is a pic...

All the best,
`HollywoodJackson`

DarkKnightQ
Car: 2002 Infiniti Q45
2008 BMW 750li
2012 nissan maxima
99 Toyota camry

Looking good. I like the look of the stock rims with the lowered stance it look like ready to roll.. I don't think u need to change the rims.. but if u feeling frogy..lol go for it leap. Lol

HollywoodJackson
1990 Nissan 240SX Coupe

DarkKnightQ wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:34 pm
Looking good. I like the look of the stock rims with the lowered stance it look like ready to roll.. I don't think u need to change the rims.. but if u feeling frogy..lol go for it leap. Lol
Thanks DarkKnightQ! WHat I have found out though... When I get the brakes off a G37S, the ones that say INFINITI on them, 4 piston fronts and 2 piston rears, larger rotors, the Q45 rims don't allow enough clearance. I could go with the wheels off a 370Z, but nah... I want some really sick 19" or maybe even 20" staggered wheels!

All the best,
~HollywoodJackson~

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”