Problem with License Plate Lights [SOLVED - LED bulb polarity]

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
bejackier
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35

Hi, I have a 2006 M35. The license plate lights are not functioning. I have changed out the bulbs and still no-go. All of the other lights throughout the vehicle work. I can't find any fuses specifically only for the license plate lights. Any suggestions on where else to look would be appreciated. Thanks.

EdBwoy

Remove the trunk lid trim and check underneath to make sure the bulb receptacles are connected to the wiring harness.

bejackier

I did that when I replaced the bulbs. After I replaced the bulbs, I still had no functioning light.

pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

Since all your other lights work - could still be a fuse problem, would check all of them (someone posted in the Armada forums that they had the same problem and he tought all his fuses were fine until he looked individually at each one and found one burned out.)
You should also take a good luck at your connectors, I had one rear turn signal go out and the bulb was fine, fuses were fine - then I looked at the connector and one of the wires has corroded so badly that it couldn't make a connection anymore to the bulb wires. I peeled back the rubber boot of the connector and soldered a new wire in place - Bob's yer uncle/good as new!

Could also be an issue with the connectors/electrical relays, see image below (could be body sub harnesses 151 or 104):
I'd get a voltmeter and check to see if you have continuity at those pins.

Good luck - let us know how it all pans out.

Craig

EdBwoy

As you troubleshoot, this info might help you.

The license plate lights aren't on a separate circuit. The fuses that affect them would also affect the parking lights and tail lamps.

bejackier

Any idea then what might be the problem?

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Have you checked everything with the voltmeter? It has to be a connection, a fuse, or the actual bulb socket itself. Report back after you have checked those things.
Did both bulbs stop working nat the same tine? Are you upgrading to LED or replacing with the same bulbs?

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Have you checked everything with the voltmeter? It has to be a connection, a fuse, or the actual bulb socket itself. Report back after you have checked those things.
Did both bulbs stop working at the same time? Are you upgrading to LED or replacing with the same bulbs?

Mjkkb2
Car: 2018 QX60 AWD, 2011 M37S, 2011 Quest, 2001 I30t(sold)

I would try another set of (different) bulbs. While replacing mine with LED, the wouldn't light up. Turned out they were defective (a new set). Additionally LED bulbs may not work if inserted the wrong way. Try rotating them 180 deg.

Ignore this post if you're not swapping to LEDs.

good luck.

bejackier

THANKS to all. The last suggestion worked!! I reversed the LED bulbs and the lights came on. Very happy...

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”