Problem with '08 Altima Coupe

General discussion area for the L32-chassis Altima
schmitt91

Hey everyone, thank you for your time. I just registered here today because I'm worried about my car.

Backstory: On 7/4/2007, I got a brand new 2008 Altima Coupe 3.5SE. Around a month and a half later, I got T-boned by a girl in a VW. Total damage to my car was around $13,000, and it was in the shop being repaired for over two months due to the shop having difficulty finding parts for such a new car. Finally, I got it back, and it was running well, until today.

Possibly relevant information: After my car was returned everything ran great for a while. About 3-4 weeks ago, if I had to guess, my tire pressure light came on. I checked all my tires and the pressure was exactly where it should've been, so I took it to the dealership. The dealer turned off the light and told me that "it sometimes comes on for no reason, and they turned it off, and it would be fine" Unfortunately, on my way home from the dealer, the light turned back on, and has been on since then. I've been meaning to go back to the dealer and ask about it, but life's gotten in the way.

Problem: This morning while I was driving, I felt the entire car vibrating. I turned off my music and listened carefully, and I could feel the vibration building in intensity. I slowed down to around 50 mph but it continued. Then, out of the blue, a minute or so later, it stopped completely. Everything sounded fine, and it seemed back to normal. Unfortunately, it occured twice more during my 25 minute drive. The best way I could describe it would be it felt like what happens when you drive on those bumpy lines on the sides of highways designed to wake people up, except I was on a normal road. On my way home, another 25 minute drive, it didn't occur at all.

Is there any correlation between the light mysteriously being on and the intermittent vibration?

Any ideas what's causing this?

What should I do? I can't get to the dealer until at the earliest Tuesday (6/3).

Any other input is much appreciated, and again, thanks for your time.

-Alex

xeene
Car: 2008 altima, 2007 fx35

could be that tpms sensor got loose inside one of the wheels and disintegrated.

schmitt91

Thanks for the reply.

Is the TPMS sensor close enough to the wheels for that to happen? Even if it did, would it be as intense of a vibration as this was? It didn't seem to be coming from any particular region of the car, but was just overall a really intense shaking.

xeene
Car: 2008 altima, 2007 fx35

schmitt91 wrote:Thanks for the reply.

Is the TPMS sensor close enough to the wheels for that to happen? Even if it did, would it be as intense of a vibration as this was? It didn't seem to be coming from any particular region of the car, but was just overall a really intense shaking.
sensor is inside the tire connected to the air valve. if it got loose, would throw the tire out of balance and cause shaking.

kuhan
Car: 2008 350Z Enthusiast 6-speed

welcome abroad

you should post this over the coupe section, and you will probably get more response from those guys.

But I don't really know what the problem with the TPMS. Sorry couldn't help.

Return to “4th Generation Altima Sedan (2007-2012)”