Probably the end for my M56S

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

Engine light came on the way home yesterday, was close so limped to the dealer at 10-15mph. Today they tell me something happened to the lifter and engine is done for. 110k miles, changed full syn oil every 4K miles. No clue why this happened.

Right now cheapest used engine is $9,300 (115k miles) and they want $5k to install. So that ain't going to happen.

I have no clue what to do right now. Service manager is off today he's going to look into thing tomorrow and call me.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Ouch! That's terrible news. Sorry to hear that but I hope you figure something out!

Malbec 56 Beast
Car: 2013 Infiniti M66xS Totaled 4/11/20
What's next???
2010 Subaru Legacy
1983 Porsche 928 S Euro (Sold) 2/17/20

Time to do some fancy driving and have to "avoid" that wall that's coming towards you.

LOL. That's a joke

Maybe

biggie

Saddest part is kbb list this thing at like $12K private party, no way that can be accurate.

EdBwoy

Sorry to hear that, man. I hope the service advisor comes back with some better news pronto.
I wonder how deep their teardown was, as to determine the lifter as the cause, within such a short timeframe.

With the repair prices at a "definitely won't do" level, are you leaning more towards just getting rid of it at this time?

biggie

EdBwoy wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:54 am
Sorry to hear that, man. I hope the service advisor comes back with some better news pronto.
I wonder how deep their teardown was, as to determine the lifter as the cause, within such a short timeframe.

With the repair prices at a "definitely won't do" level, are you leaning more towards just getting rid of it at this time?
Yeah if my costs will be more than $5k or so then I'll be looking to see if they see it as any trade in value. If not then I'll sell it as is or part it out.

Should be good for someone who has the time to swap the engine themselves. And I know the sport model has lots of stuff people want.

reggiebrown40
Car: 2018 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport
2011 Infiniti M56x - Dead

Is anyone else noticing a pattern here? My engine started knocking at 84K miles. I have an appointment on Saturday to have the dealer inspect, but it's knocking terribly and I suspect it's failing as well. I have no proof but I believe it's all related to the timing chain recall. I changed my oil routinely at 3500 miles. Something Infiniti isn't telling us.

reggiebrown40

Would it be too much to ask the moderators to keep a running list of the active members that have failed engines and their mileage? It would be interesting to see if a class action lawsuit develops in the future regarding the timing chain issue and how it relates to the engine failures.

tlaspec
Car: M56x

Guys that have engine knocking noise does it sound similar to video below. I noticed this last winter, this summer car have been fine. Noise goes away once warm. I’m bit worried it may get worse. my car has 74k mile synthetic oil every 4k miles.
[youtube] https://youtu.be/oOPoxmtJxWA[/youtube]

reggiebrown40

tlaspec, that's exactly how my engine was sounding until last month when it got louder. Now it's a full-on knock.

EdBwoy

biggie wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:47 am
...if my costs will be more than $5k or so then I'll be looking to see if they see it as any trade in value. If not then I'll sell it as is or part it out.

Should be good for someone who has the time to swap the engine themselves. And I know the sport model has lots of stuff people want.
Here's to hoping a reasonable quote for repair comes your way.

If that doesn't happen and you anticipate getting rid of it, let me know as I'd be interested in the car mainly for the damaged engine.
Depending on your interest in further dabbling with the car, we could work out some other deals; but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

EdBwoy

reggiebrown40 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:48 am
Is anyone else noticing a pattern here? My engine started knocking at 84K miles. I have an appointment on Saturday to have the dealer inspect, but it's knocking terribly and I suspect it's failing as well. I have no proof but I believe it's all related to the timing chain recall. I changed my oil routinely at 3500 miles. Something Infiniti isn't telling us.
Reggie, well....kinda sorta. Some of us have, and maybe even done so publicly. I have been questioning this since I saw the details of the recall. At the bottom I'll quote a post that I made over 3 years ago.
I can't fully blame the recall, but I'm interested in making sure there is no connection.

On the issue of keeping a log of damage, it's a pretty solid idea, but history has shown that participation in such efforts is very dismal. People only fully engage when the problems hit them individually, and most people are not interested in the subject matter I have been trying to get participation in - I try to identify potential failure modes and ways to mitigate them.

A few other examples of topics I have spearheaded are the M56 catalytic converter issues, and the M45 engine damage issues. By the time I am able to gather/buy enough damaged cars to investigate and draw conclusions, too many people have given up on the cars after financial losses and moved on to other things.

Anyway, here's that post I was referring to:
EdBwoy wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:54 am
armybrat wrote: ...
As far as taking your car in for the recall work, only way to get a new engine is if the oil jet hole is too deep. They check it with a go-no go gauge pin. If it goes in more than 3mm, they replace the engine. AFAIK, I haven't heard of anyone getting a new motor.
Armybrat, I found your other post on the oil jet, thanks for the pic. I pretty much make repair/replace decisions for a living so that's my angle. What worries me is that Infiniti is letting some engines get the work done but which will suffer accelerated wear. I don't know how deep the gauge should go in a new engine. 1mm, 2mm, 3mm? I have no idea...
Say if the gauge would only go into the hole 1+/-0.5mm from the factory. Then they test an engine during the recall work and find the hole depth at 2mm. Why wouldn't they consider that an off-spec engine? Would it have any ill effects to oil circulation or performance? Maybe their tolerance for the holes from the factory is upto 3mm anyway, then my concerns are irrelevant.

biggie

Manager just called. Fuel pump was leaking, washing off the lifter and ruining it. Timing is off. Going to try to replace the lifter and see if that fixes the timing and it runs correctly. If it does we have to worry about metal in the oil system which may ruin the engine. If we flush the oil and don't think metal is there then have to replace the fuel pump (their price is about $1700 for fuel pump).

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Slightly off-topic, I know, but this remind sme if the dash issue caused by the Takata airbag recall. Countless members (including myself) were left with a cracked or disfigured dash after the recall was performed. Infiniti could not be bothered to even contribute to the replacement costs .... BUT .... after a time (and sadly a year after I spent $2,000 to buy a new dash) Infiniti decided they will either replace or partially pay for new a new dash caused by the recall.
Perhaps, it's still early days for the M6 engine and Inifniti may decide that this timing chain recall should include some $$ towards engine replacement if they can confirm the timing chain is the culprit?
I think you lot should stand together and see if there is sufficient numbers of peeps to persuade (or sue) Inifniti to consider a similar solution.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

biggie wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:50 pm
Manager just called. Fuel pump was leaking, washing off the lifter and ruining it. Timing is off. Going to try to replace the lifter and see if that fixes the timing and it runs correctly. If it does we have to worry about metal in the oil system which may ruin the engine. If we flush the oil and don't think metal is there then have to replace the fuel pump (their price is about $1700 for fuel pump).
Well that's a little more promising and less bad...pullin for ya man.

I love my car. Other than the catalytic issue and my random alarm going off issue (I'm starting to think something is up with the battery even though Advance Auto Parts swears its good), my car is rock solid. I'm still on the stock suspension at 124kmi.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Best of luck and hoping for a good outcome..

biggie

Right now looking like they may fix it under "goodwill" after service manager called his head guy regionally.

They had offered me $7k as is and will give me $10k if it can be fixed by corporate.

Will just the matter of what I trade it in on, still hate to lose the unicorn but just can't trust that engine now.

Ilya

$10k is still quite cheap even with a big rebuild, no? Isn't our car worth like $14-15k right now? I got slightly higher miles than you.

biggie

Retail is around $15k probably. Wholesale they are going for $10k on average. I can’t complain too much given it kinda broken.

EdBwoy

I'm glad to hear the cost to get it back on the road isn't in the thousands anymore.
Personally, I wouldn't be afraid of the car, especially with a dealership warranty under the hood...or what is the extent of their "goodwill repair"?

biggie

The goodwill repair is the new lifter/cam parts and fuel pump. But they won’t cover the labor.

So labor is $2,200 or so. I’m spending that to gain $3k in trade in value. Hoping to talk them into reducing that to $2k in labor costs.

armybrat
Car: 2012 M56x with Tech Package (sold)
Custom 2-1/2" X-pipe exhaust with OEM sport mufflers
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

biggie wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:25 am
The goodwill repair is the new lifter/cam parts and fuel pump. But they won’t cover the labor.

So labor is $2,200 or so. I’m spending that to gain $3k in trade in value. Hoping to talk them into reducing that to $2k in labor costs.
Hey man, sorry to hear of your issues. As you know, I also live in Clemmons (Clemmons West off of Hwy 158). Which dealer are you using? I take mine to Modern Infiniti on Peters Creek Pkwy. They've always treated me pretty good. They did my oil jet/timing chain recall work, and did a first class job. I head a lot of horror stories about folks who had theirs done, like residual damage, not cleaning the engine bay, fingerprints all over the place, etc. My car looked like brand new when they got done.

I guess the main issue is how much is too much...if a car is worth X amount and it's going to cost Y to fix. Two or three grand for manifold replacement is one thing...that's a lot to me, but a 10k + job for a car that's worth 12 - 14 grand is definitely another thing altogether. Hopefully the fuel pump/lifter job will fix the problem.

biggie

Yeah I’m at modern right now working on deal for new ride.

M56 I’m good order is basically $10k trade in value, they are giving me that minus the labor cost to fix the engine.

I’ve dealt with modern for a long time they’ve always treated me well.

tlaspec
Car: M56x

reggiebrown40 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:05 am
tlaspec, that's exactly how my engine was sounding until last month when it got louder. Now it's a full-on knock.
Reggie, did your start ticking all the time or only during cold at beginning?

biggie

Picked up a Q70L AWD.

Need to get an alum undertray ASAP. Anyone know if the L and regular Q70 AWD is the same undertray design?

EdBwoy

biggie wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:29 pm
Picked up a Q70L AWD.

Need to get an alum undertray ASAP. Anyone know if the L and regular Q70 AWD is the same undertray design?
It will fit if the L is AWD as well.

The wheelbase doesn't matter. It's the drivetrain that does. All AWDs share their part number, the other option covers all RWDs.

biggie

Thanks just order a new one. Kept my one from the M56 to sell so they needed my OEM one in trade.

Still have to get my tires and sport mufflers swapped over to the new ride.

kmiles
Car: 2015 Q70 3.7 AWD - Hermosa Blue
Sold - 2007 M35x

Congratulations on your new Q70L AWD! You'll have to tell us more about it. I've had mine for about a year now and love it. Only changes I've made is to replace all of the interior light bulbs with VLED bulbs, purchased a set of the sport 20" wheels and Michelin Pilot AS3+ tires. Right now I'm looking for a good set of winter tires for the 18" rims. I think I'm going to get Michelin Pilot Alpin PA 4 winter tires. My area is iffy for the need for winter tires, but last winter we had lots of snow and I live and work in areas with very steep hills.

biggie

Mine has the sport wheels and brakes. I have the sport mufflers that will be swapped over to the Q70L. Will soon get K&N drop ins and weathertech visors, TBW undertray already order. Tint soon as well.

stm37s
Car: 2012 300 SRT8
2011 M37S
2006 Range Rover HSE (Wife's Ride)
2012 Camaro LS (Wife's Ride)
95 Impala SS (sold)
2004 Impala SS (sold)
2012 Hyundai Veloster (Daughters Ride)

Glad to hear the good news brother. What CV color? any pictures?

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”