Presage won't lock externally

Post all your Nissan electronics, car audio and stereo questions here!
Chillihead
Car: '05 Nissan Presage

My sister's has a 2005 Presage. Yesterday it started indicating that it thought that there was a remote inside the car (beeping when exiting the car) and it won't lock remote or by pressing the lock button on the outside of the door. However it won't start without the remote for the key being present (inside the car) so it is safe-ish.

There are only two remote for car and both have been accounted for, so it's not a remote "lost" in the car.

Two things I noticed:
1) There is a new icon on the dashboard that I have never seen before - it's a round lock icon with an curved arrow that suggests that the steering lock is at fault? (I took a photo but left my phone at home today dammit. I'll update this post tonight with the photo).
2) The steering lock no longer seems to engage and the ignition does turn all the way to the LOCKED position, both of which would corroborate #1.

I'm not sure if this would be a physical fault or an electrical fault.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Chillihead

Additional to the above and maybe of some use is the following:
This WAS my car but I recently sold it to my sister. Yes I know....
I was fitting a stereo to it (sold to her by my daughter. Again, yes I know....)

My sister had "lost" the second remote in the car, which was present in the car the entire time I was fitting the stereo. I believe that the presence of the second remote in the car MAY have been masking the already existing fault with the ignition lock.
After my sister told me that the remote was in the car, we located it and removed it. This was prior to use discovering the problem with the ignition / locking.
Once we discovered the issue, I removed the new stereo just in case there was some kind of security issue with it and re-fitted the factory unit. The problem remained. This didn't surprise me as I had a 3rd-part stereo fitted when I owned it (different to the unit she bought off my daughter).
I located 2 fuse boxes under the hood but was only able to check the integrity of the fuses in one of them due to the other's location. I doubt it's a fuse but you never know.....
Lastly, she had a situation the other day where she forgot that it was keyless and spent some time trying to figure out how to get the "key" out of the ignition. She didn't elaborate on what exactly she did, but I'm wondering if this has contributed....

Chillihead

So apparently it locks sometimes..... Great.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

:welcome:

Hmm, it could be just a minor hiccup. For computers, they say try turning it off and on again. For a car, disconnect the battery for a half hour or so. Need to let any residual charge dissipate to make sure the system resets properly. Give that a shot. If it works, I'll expect a check ( :biggrin: ). If not, we'll have to research it some more.

Chillihead

Rogue One wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:27 pm
:welcome:

Hmm, it could be just a minor hiccup. For computers, they say try turning it off and on again. For a car, disconnect the battery for a half hour or so. Need to let any residual charge dissipate to make sure the system resets properly. Give that a shot. If it works, I'll expect a check ( :biggrin: ). If not, we'll have to research it some more.
Awesome thanks!

I'll get her to try that.... Or more likely, her husband to try that ;-)

Chillihead

My sister didn't end up trying this as the locking seems to have come right. I haven't heard anything for a couple of days, so I have to assume all is well....

Thanks for the advice!

Return to “Nissan Audio / Entertainment / Security”