Praise For Infiniti Brake Pads

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
cotandem
Car: Infiniti G37C

As a somewhat anal person relative to cleaning my cars, I can only smile when I look at the wheels on our G37C. They are always clean of brake dust! Perhaps the Germans (ie MB, BMW, Porsche) could learn some lessons....

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Yeah, they are pretty clean. My old Maxima was far worse.

bschurr
Car: 2009 G37S 6MT Conv

cotandem wrote:As a somewhat anal person relative to cleaning my cars, I can only smile when I look at the wheels on our G37C. They are always clean of brake dust! Perhaps the Germans (ie MB, BMW, Porsche) could learn some lessons....
+1 and they work pretty well too!

Compared to the Brembos on my S60R, the G's Akebonos are immaculate.

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Infiniti learned there lesson from early generation G35's....

Poyzinous
Car: 2004 G35x Premium 1976 Classic Red 36 inch #18 Radio Flyer Wagon...

The Akebonos are excellent. They are suprisingly good when you think about all brake aspects:1-Good performace and stopping power2-Good wear and durability3-Quiet4-Little/no Dust5-Affordable6-Cool name

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

Poyzinous wrote:1-Good performance and stopping power2-Good wear and durability3-Quiet4-Little/no Dust5-Affordable6-Cool name
Very true.

These are a great improvement over the first G35s. Longevity issues have been addressed with using Akebono instead of .....whomever it was I do not think they are supplying brakes in any of the three models available for the new G line.

Remember the absolute most overlooked yet important issue that modern brakes face is improper torque in either application or specification.

Poyzinous

Hitachi made most of the older pads.

Potomac-Greg
Car: 2009 G37 Convertible

cotandem wrote:As a somewhat anal person relative to cleaning my cars, I can only smile when I look at the wheels on our G37C. They are always clean of brake dust! Perhaps the Germans (ie MB, BMW, Porsche) could learn some lessons....
The Germans will always engineer a car to be able to go 120 MPH on the Autobahn, which includes the ability to stop from that speed. That's what I have heard is the reason that German cars have brake dust problems -- because they're favoring outright braking performance over aesthetics. Only a back-to-back test will tell if the Akebono brake pads (are they ceramic?) are as effective at all heat ranges as the dustier pads.

I know that the AMG division of Benz has fits trying to satisfy American buyers who want a dust-free brake pad that never squeals. You can have all that, at the expense of stopping.

I can see the argument that we don't need Autobahn brakes.

Poyzinous

The akebono brakes and some of the hitachi pads have actually performed very well in braking tests, besting both acura and lexus and either meeting or exceeding BMW's in most cases, so I don't see why you would doubt the infiniti choices.

Potomac-Greg
Car: 2009 G37 Convertible

Poyzinous wrote:The akebono brakes and some of the hitachi pads have actually performed very well in braking tests, besting both acura and lexus and either meeting or exceeding BMW's in most cases, so I don't see why you would doubt the infiniti choices.
If Infiniti / Akebono has cracked the code and found a pad that is capable of cold stopping, hot stopping, long term wear, no squealing and no dust, then that's fantastic. I'm just sayin' that if it was possible, there would be no more brake dust in the world!

What matters is the ability of a brake pad to perform under the conditions it is likely to experience. Test results are useful but what was tested? For most of us, we don't need pads that can brake from Autobahn speeds.

I have to confess that I was able to literally skip washing my wheels yesterday because they were so damn clean. That's nice.

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”