PPE Headers and Exhaust Review - Video

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
User avatar
ken in az
Posts: 1263
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:18 pm
Car: 2011 M56/2002 chevy silverado/1989 300zx/2008 F250 Diesel/Canam X3 Turbo

PPE Headers and Exhaust Review - Video

Postby ken in az » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:59 pm

Hey all - check out my review of the PPE Full Headers and Exhaust



Yoda's Master
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:26 pm
Car: 2012 M56
2009 370z
Location: Rock in the middle of nowhere

Re: PPE Headers and Exhaust Review - Video

Postby Yoda's Master » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:48 pm

It's a shame they won't sell it. I gave up asking them to sell me a set.

User avatar
ken in az
Posts: 1263
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:18 pm
Car: 2011 M56/2002 chevy silverado/1989 300zx/2008 F250 Diesel/Canam X3 Turbo

Re: PPE Headers and Exhaust Review - Video

Postby ken in az » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:03 pm

Yoda's Master wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:48 pm
It's a shame they won't sell it. I gave up asking them to sell me a set.
Covid hit them hard - they've been having trouble getting additional staff. Their main business is totally not related to motorsports so I dunno ?

Keep asking and give them your CC info as a deposit :chuckle: :chuckle:

seymore4
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:57 pm
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 sport

Re: PPE Headers and Exhaust Review - Video

Postby seymore4 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:13 am

Mine just shipped yesterday. Been waiting since March. CAN'T WAIT

seymore4
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:57 pm
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 sport

Re: PPE Headers and Exhaust Review - Video

Postby seymore4 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:22 am

They're beautiful :ohno:
Attachments
20210802_103926_resized.jpg

User avatar
ken in az
Posts: 1263
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:18 pm
Car: 2011 M56/2002 chevy silverado/1989 300zx/2008 F250 Diesel/Canam X3 Turbo

Re: PPE Headers and Exhaust Review - Video

Postby ken in az » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:43 am

Niiice! You'll love them!

seymore4
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:57 pm
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 sport

Re: PPE Headers and Exhaust Review - Video

Postby seymore4 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:36 am

Thanks for doing the legwork! Now I just gotta find time to put them on.

I had them make me the full exhaust too, apparently it's only the second copy out there ;)

User avatar
trayday
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:37 pm
Car: 2006 M45 sport
Location: Oregon

Re: PPE Headers and Exhaust Review - Video

Postby trayday » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:07 am

I have my headers in the garage, just need to put on. Obviously I didn't buy the exhaust lol

You think it'd be beneficial for the 5.6L to use 2.75" exhaust vs the 2.5?

User avatar
ken in az
Posts: 1263
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:18 pm
Car: 2011 M56/2002 chevy silverado/1989 300zx/2008 F250 Diesel/Canam X3 Turbo

Re: PPE Headers and Exhaust Review - Video

Postby ken in az » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:06 am

seymore4 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:36 am
Thanks for doing the legwork! Now I just gotta find time to put them on.

I had them make me the full exhaust too, apparently it's only the second copy out there ;)
Sweeet!

seymore4
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:57 pm
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 sport

Re: PPE Headers and Exhaust Review - Video

Postby seymore4 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:07 am

Nah, there's really no benefit to going too big.. also keep in mind anything you do is going to be a huge improvement over stock.

OH and BTW...I am really not loving this header install at all..

User avatar
ken in az
Posts: 1263
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:18 pm
Car: 2011 M56/2002 chevy silverado/1989 300zx/2008 F250 Diesel/Canam X3 Turbo

Re: PPE Headers and Exhaust Review - Video

Postby ken in az » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:09 am

trayday wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:07 am
I have my headers in the garage, just need to put on. Obviously I didn't buy the exhaust lol

You think it'd be beneficial for the 5.6L to use 2.75" exhaust vs the 2.5?
I thought about that but based on what I've read and seen testing on dual 2.5" is good for 500hp. So I think it's good for NA.

User avatar
trayday
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:37 pm
Car: 2006 M45 sport
Location: Oregon

Re: PPE Headers and Exhaust Review - Video

Postby trayday » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:19 pm

ken in az wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:09 am
trayday wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:07 am
I have my headers in the garage, just need to put on. Obviously I didn't buy the exhaust lol

You think it'd be beneficial for the 5.6L to use 2.75" exhaust vs the 2.5?
I thought about that but based on what I've read and seen testing on dual 2.5" is good for 500hp. So I think it's good for NA.
Have you seen testing with 2.75"?

The 5.7 Tundra, people are gaining 48whp/89wtq with 3" duals and long tubes. The aftermarket Tundra exhaust manifold, where it mates to the head is the same size as PPE for our cars.

User avatar
ken in az
Posts: 1263
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:18 pm
Car: 2011 M56/2002 chevy silverado/1989 300zx/2008 F250 Diesel/Canam X3 Turbo

Re: PPE Headers and Exhaust Review - Video

Postby ken in az » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:29 pm

trayday wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:19 pm
ken in az wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:09 am


I thought about that but based on what I've read and seen testing on dual 2.5" is good for 500hp. So I think it's good for NA.
Have you seen testing with 2.75"?

The 5.7 Tundra, people are gaining 48whp/89wtq with 3" duals and long tubes. The aftermarket Tundra exhaust manifold, where it mates to the head is the same size as PPE for our cars.
Well 2.75" isn't a common exhaust pipe size. You'll see 2.5" vs 3"

3" would maybe gain 5hp over 2.5" on our engine

seymore4
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:57 pm
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 sport

Re: PPE Headers and Exhaust Review - Video

Postby seymore4 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:06 pm

Old vs new
Attachments
20210811_140311_resized.jpg

seymore4
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:57 pm
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 sport

Re: PPE Headers and Exhaust Review - Video

Postby seymore4 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:54 am

Passenger side
Attachments
20210812_133154_resized_1.jpg

seymore4
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:57 pm
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 sport

Re: PPE Headers and Exhaust Review - Video

Postby seymore4 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:11 pm

Got it most of the way buttoned up today. Got sent the wrong O2 extensions so waiting on those.. also the HPS intake that was supposed to be here today is arriving Monday now... then there's the power steering pressure sensor that I broke off jacking the engine back and forth :chuckle:
Attachments
20210813_112311_resized.jpg

User avatar
ken in az
Posts: 1263
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:18 pm
Car: 2011 M56/2002 chevy silverado/1989 300zx/2008 F250 Diesel/Canam X3 Turbo

Re: PPE Headers and Exhaust Review - Video

Postby ken in az » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:22 pm

seymore4 wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:11 pm
Got it most of the way buttoned up today. Got sent the wrong O2 extensions so waiting on those.. also the HPS intake that was supposed to be here today is arriving Monday now... then there's the power steering pressure sensor that I broke off jacking the engine back and forth :chuckle:
Nice work!

seymore4
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:57 pm
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 sport

Re: PPE Headers and Exhaust Review - Video

Postby seymore4 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:47 pm

All back together and running good! At idle you almost can't tell its got full exhaust but definitely turns heads when you get on it. Noticeably faster as well, I punched it from a stop and spun straight through first and second. Just need to fix the tune now...

User avatar
ken in az
Posts: 1263
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:18 pm
Car: 2011 M56/2002 chevy silverado/1989 300zx/2008 F250 Diesel/Canam X3 Turbo

Re: PPE Headers and Exhaust Review - Video

Postby ken in az » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:18 pm

seymore4 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:47 pm
All back together and running good! At idle you almost can't tell its got full exhaust but definitely turns heads when you get on it. Noticeably faster as well, I punched it from a stop and spun straight through first and second. Just need to fix the tune now...
Awesome!! So glad to finally see someone else enjoy the full meal deal from PPE !

seymore4
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:57 pm
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 sport

Re: PPE Headers and Exhaust Review - Video

Postby seymore4 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:48 am

An update for anyone considering doing this, make sure to budget for a tune afterwards. My perfectly tuned (by me) M56 was running a leeeean 13.9 AFR at WOT after the install... not ideal at all :nono:

Also I threw a P0420 and P0430 (cat inefficiency) code yesterday so if you have emissions testing required that's another thing to take into consideration. I do not so another quick update to the tune and I'll never see them again :chuckle:

User avatar
armybrat
Posts: 538
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:43 am
Car: 2012 M56x with Tech Package (sold)
Custom 2-1/2" X-pipe exhaust with OEM sport mufflers
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune
Location: Winston-Salem, NC

Re: PPE Headers and Exhaust Review - Video

Postby armybrat » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:58 pm

trayday wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:07 am
I have my headers in the garage, just need to put on. Obviously I didn't buy the exhaust lol

You think it'd be beneficial for the 5.6L to use 2.75" exhaust vs the 2.5?
Since Ken mentioned the Scat Pack in his video...just for comparison, that car uses a 2-3/4" dual exhaust stock from the factory that is sized and tuned for 485 hp performance with room to grow. The M56, well we know that exhaust is sized for 420 hp luxury not performance. Just installing the headers and 2-1/2" X-pipe opened up the flow quite a bit and made room to grow. That with the HPS hoses and tune you're at Scat Pack stock performance. Ken's M56 is probably at the maximum hp for a stock engine so the 2-1/2" exhaust sizing is good enough IMHO. If you go further and build the engine then a larger exhaust diameter should be considered.

Yoda's Master
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:26 pm
Car: 2012 M56
2009 370z
Location: Rock in the middle of nowhere

Re: PPE Headers and Exhaust Review - Video

Postby Yoda's Master » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:48 pm

one still cannot buy this thing

seymore4
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:57 pm
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 sport

Re: PPE Headers and Exhaust Review - Video

Postby seymore4 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:03 am

Have you contacted them directly or are you just looking on their website?
[email protected]

Be prepared to pay half up front and wait 4 months

Yoda's Master
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:26 pm
Car: 2012 M56
2009 370z
Location: Rock in the middle of nowhere

Re: PPE Headers and Exhaust Review - Video

Postby Yoda's Master » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:29 am

I have and they blew me off for a year and didn't even invite me in for that pre-production run that you got onto.

seymore4
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:57 pm
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 sport

Re: PPE Headers and Exhaust Review - Video

Postby seymore4 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:21 am

These are all hand built to order, they are not mass produced or stocked

User avatar
trayday
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:37 pm
Car: 2006 M45 sport
Location: Oregon

Re: PPE Headers and Exhaust Review - Video

Postby trayday » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:20 am

Yoda's Master wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:29 am
I have and they blew me off
Might need to call them directly. They've returned my missed calls.

User avatar
trayday
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:37 pm
Car: 2006 M45 sport
Location: Oregon

Re: PPE Headers and Exhaust Review - Video

Postby trayday » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:16 am

armybrat wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:58 pm
trayday wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:07 am
I have my headers in the garage, just need to put on. Obviously I didn't buy the exhaust lol

You think it'd be beneficial for the 5.6L to use 2.75" exhaust vs the 2.5?
Since Ken mentioned the Scat Pack in his video...just for comparison, that car uses a 2-3/4" dual exhaust stock from the factory that is sized and tuned for 485 hp performance with room to grow. The M56, well we know that exhaust is sized for 420 hp luxury not performance. Just installing the headers and 2-1/2" X-pipe opened up the flow quite a bit and made room to grow. That with the HPS hoses and tune you're at Scat Pack stock performance. Ken's M56 is probably at the maximum hp for a stock engine so the 2-1/2" exhaust sizing is good enough IMHO. If you go further and build the engine then a larger exhaust diameter should be considered.
I'll build a 2.75" so we can see if there's benefits, since it doesn't seem it's been done on our 5.6 staying NA. If it's boggy down low, ill make adjustments. It's just hard for me to get past the stock 5.7 Tundra motor gaining 48whp/89wtq with LTs/3" exhaust.

There's a guy running 700 hp on his stock motor turbo car, so I'm not worried about the motor not being able to handle it.

seymore4
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:57 pm
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 sport

Re: PPE Headers and Exhaust Review - Video

Postby seymore4 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:20 am

It would be fun to see a stock/ before dyno run, then a run with just headers, then a run with the headers and full exhaust.

User avatar
trayday
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:37 pm
Car: 2006 M45 sport
Location: Oregon

Re: PPE Headers and Exhaust Review - Video

Postby trayday » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:15 am

seymore4 wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:20 am
It would be fun to see a stock/ before dyno run, then a run with just headers, then a run with the headers and full exhaust.
How bad do you think a clogged cat will effect numbers?

If I can find a shop S of Eugene, ill compare stock to full exhaust. Would you be willing to take your car to the same brand of dyno? Of know of one in the Eugene/Springfield area?

seymore4
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:57 pm
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 sport

Re: PPE Headers and Exhaust Review - Video

Postby seymore4 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:08 am

I wouldn't do it with a clogged cat. dyno numbers are really only comparable for the same car on the same dyno


Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”