power windows not working!!!

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
raxx

All my window's aren't working. Someone told me to take out a relay (It looked like a square black box that something plugs into it, its under the center console where you rest ur arm) and replace that. It worked for him.

Well I took it out completely, and I don't have a sqare one to replace it. all the windows were already down, so I drove around on a sunny day. Well last night it started sprinkling, and I started to put my top up. Then I just so happen to try to roll the window up and it worked fine like it was before.

Well right now it just stop working again.

Anyone know what this problem could be???

Any kind of help would be nice.

Thanks,Raxx

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

Sounds like an electrical problem. I would guess that you have a bad ground or something like that and it's very quickly poping your relays. Check your wiring inside the center console. Make sure they aren't cut or frayed.

raxx

Eikon you sure that black box has anything to do with the windows?? its to the seatbelts right???(that's what it's labeled as). Anyway. I left the black square box off. And the window still worked from time to time. We checked out all the fuses, they all looked fine, we tried switching the driver side switched, that didn't help.

So like you said, I'm pretty sure i got a shortage or a bad ground somewhere. Considering that the window's work from time to time. And it's all the window.

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

I am sure this is too obvious to miss... but are you sure you have the override turned off.... you know the button on the driver door that you can press to disable the passenger side so that your kids can't play with the pwr window....

just a shot

raxx

Come
Eikon wrote:I am sure this is too obvious to miss... but are you sure you have the override turned off.... you know the button on the driver door that you can press to disable the passenger side so that your kids can't play with the pwr window....

just a shot
Eikon wrote:I am sure this is too obvious to miss... but are you sure you have the override turned off.... you know the button on the driver door that you can press to disable the passenger side so that your kids can't play with the pwr window....

just a shot
come one Eikon, I'm not that stupid, haha, yet some people are.

Anyways I figured what the problem was.....well kinda of.

The problem was from under the center console. There is 2 things that plugs up. The wires/plug that runs from the driver side to the center console (I guess it's the main power plug, not sure). And the other one wires/plug runs along the passenger side to the center console, and the power switch for the back window is wired up to that too.

Anyways, I so happen to unplug both the plugs. Well after that only the front windows work. I plugged it back up and it stopped working again.

So I'm guessin I have a shortage or something that has to do with the other plug, which I think connects and has something to do with the top, because you know when you let the top down, the back windows goes down also. Yet I don't know where to begin to find the problem, so I took a short cut and just rigged it up the wires myself.

I left the wires/plug from the passenger side off, and cut the plug off the driver side, and cutted the back window wires also.

I just connected them from color to color and it worked. Which of course now, the back windows doesn't roll down as the top goes down. Hopefully it doesn't damage my back windows one day, if I ever forget to roll the back windows before I let the top down.

Thanks for the help though. If you have any ideas on how to fix the problem the right way, feel free to tell me how.

Raxx

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”