power steering

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

i don't need it....

so does anyone have any idea as to how to remove it safely?

obviously the belt to it gets taken away... but how do you drain the fluid etc. to get the rest of the s*** out?

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

Well unless you a switching to a manual rack I would just cut the belt if you don't want it, but for weight savings reasons I don't know the proper way.

seang
Car: Ford Fiesta ST

I didn't know your year of truck even had power steering as an option? My previous 87 did not. I left my power steering belt off last week (a 97 model) after deleting the thermostat just to see what it was like, and it was not pleasent, even unsafe. The manual steering box is different somehow. I put the belt back on. No, I don't know how to drain the fluid properly per-se, but I would just pull the hoses and catch the drainage with a bottle.

PEZi

yeah... i'm not too worried about driving it without power steering as i have driven cars without it before and i've played with mine before with the engine off just moving it around to see what it does... but as far as getting rid of everything its not so much the weight savings rather than i don't want a bunch of s*** sitting in there that doesn't do anything

for those of you wondering the original reason behind this... my power steering is pretty messed up... and i don't want to spend the money on fixing something that i don't really need

breadbox

A manual steering rack has a different ratio so its easier to turn the vehicle.

Had a lady work with me who drove like an olds or grand marquise with no power steering and a week later she was diesel. Itsa great way to work the arms.

PEZi

yeah for now i will leave the rack... but in the future i look to get a super tight one... like that of an indy car

anyone know if that would be a custom job or just look around?

i know of a place in denver that has this rack for any and every subaru and its universal so would there be like a universal nissan one?

breadbox

I'd find a couple motorsport shops near by and ask. Near me I'd probably go to an offroad shop that deal with custom 4x4 trucks on the regular.

seang

Hey Pez, what steering rack are you talking about? Trucks came with a steering box, not a rack.

PEZi

seang wrote:Hey Pez, what steering rack are you talking about? Trucks came with a steering box, not a rack.
i assumed it was a rack... i guess if its a box that's cool

i just removed the belt and went for a test drive... i actually like it! its heavy but has a very natural feel to it!

seang

Well Pezzy, I have to let you in on a secret. I always thought the ZQ8 steering box from an X-Treme model Chevy S10 would be a killer swap in. It has corvette ratios, there are "high effort" valves available for them as well, to make them not so vague. I haven't tried it, but it would be a cool solution. Also, there are stateside companies that make custom steering boxes for cheaper than factory ones are, (sometimes). I got the idea from JTR. I wonder if S10's have a similar mounting pattern for the steering boxes?

PEZi

if they do that'd be sweet!

seang

You got to go measure some S10's. at the salvage yard. Then Measure your bolts, Good luck. I think your autocross 720 kicks a**. Rock On Bro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

PEZi

thanks man!

i can't wait to get some vids up for you guys!

breadbox

Yeah! I wanna see some auto-x action.

Return to “Datsun 720”