Power Steering Rack Leacking

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
FrenchPople
Car: 1983 Datsun 280ZXT 2+2
2016 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Desert Runner 2WD

Ok so my 83 ZX decided to start leaking Thursday night when all of a sudden the steering felt great. when I looked at it on Friday night after work I found out that the passenger side seal is leaking.... mind you that I replaced the rack and pinion when I got the car in October of 2014 and yes the boots are just fine. now I am having trouble finding another rack and pinion and oh hey its got a lifetime warranty that is no longer any good if I can find another rack. I'm wondering if anyone has tried to rebuild the racks before and how much of a pain is it? I already know that removing the rack is something that doesn't want to be done. any help and advice would be very apreciated

FrenchPople

also wondering if anyone has tried the Maval brand Rack and pinion units? any info would be great.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

And what fluid did you put in the new rack? These cars use Dexron type ATF not standard power steering fluid which is much thinner. If you simply used the wrong fluid draining the system and refill with the proper atf, maybe even add a bit of trans leak stop.

FrenchPople

thats the thing, I used the dexron atf when I put it in. for now I have my boss at Oreillys looking for another rack, and I I got some stop leak with fluid to help. so far it has slowed the leak by a lot but until I can find another one it wont happen.

MikeRL411
Car: 1997J30T, 1967RL411

So, what are you not telling us about the "lifetime warranty?" Is it only applicable in an alternate universe? Or did you void it by not following instructions / fluids?

FrenchPople

Sorry about the confusion there Mike. With the lifetime warranty yes I can get my refund but the problem was finding another rack to put it the car and how to do it. Luckily I was able to find one through Oreilly's and it has to be ordered, just a different brand then what I got and more on the cost. Original one I put it was a A1 Cardone, the other is a Mavel that they are able to get from IMC and has a 2yr/24K mile warranty. To my understanding tho the Mavel hasn't given many people a problem. As for the fluid I put the correct stuff it from the beginning, it just didn't make since why it started to leak. Looks like ill be in good shape but was trying to see if anyone could help but it may not be needed after all.

FrenchPople

ok so for an update I finally got the new rack and installed it so things are good to go on it. also if anyone is looking to get a new rack for their Z/ZX I recommend using Maval Gear. they are base in Ohio and they remanufacture power steering parts for most OEM Manufacture's. great quality and I got to experience mine through a good read trip last night and this morning.

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”