Power Steering Pump

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
Bluestreak
Car: Cars, fatherhood, baseball, music

Hi all,

Just got this month's "Consumer Reports" magazine, in which they review the Nissan Murano. They tested the 3.5 6 cylinder, which is essentially our engine but tuned down to 245 HP. They noted a problem with the power steering pump where, under certain conditions, the steering effort suddenly and momentarily increased, making it unexpectedly harder to turn the wheel. It happens at low rpm's, when the steering wheel is turned quickly, and they say impairs it's capability in their short course avoidance maneuver test. I haven't had any such experience yet in my G35 coupe. Have any of you? Do we have any way to know if they use a different steering pump on the G than on the Murano? Interested to hear if anyone has information on this.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

I dont know if they use a different one , but I dont believe it matters.All power steering systems are at risk of losing assist, if you turn real quickly at slow speeds on a heavy vehicle with wide tires.

there is only so much power they can make available.The factory can put in bigger ones, but thatt will cost the consumer more money add some weight etc etc.

Its ne of those little nits magazines like to pick so they have something to show for all their testing efforts."consumer Reports" is not real known for its technical excellence when it comes to car testing and have often dropped the ball in my book with a lack of proportional judgment on what is central to a vehicle and what is a nit.

Fred...:)

Aries
Car: LT1 240SS

in the G35, the belt is actually .25" shorter than in the murano because of the placement of the power steering pump being 1.25" higher than in the Murano. Nissan engineers are already talking about switching the Murano over to the G35/350Z layout to eliminate this problem :)

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”