Power Steering Pump Removal

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
Top Speed Coupe
Car: Cars

I have a 91 Coupe with a 96 motor and since I had the car the rack n pinion leaked the PS fluid. I can live with out PS but the pump makes a nasty noise and is eating some HP I am sure. BUT I see it is runing the Water pump...Is there anyway to get around this? Maybe Get a Double pully Alternator? ANyone done this before?

BTW I did a search n got nothing....

Silvia007
Car: 93 240sx SE Fastback

Well, it'll be kinda hard to get a belt around the water pump and main pulley only as there will be no tensioner to tighen the belt. The PS pump makes the noise because no fluid is going through the pump lubricating it. What I would suggest is fixing the rack and pinion or run to the junkyard and dig it out of a junked 240. Unless you can rip out the internals of the powersteering pump.

Top Speed Coupe

I know y it makes the noise. But I don't care for PS, Id rather junk it.

oi138

Top Speed Coupe wrote:I have a 91 Coupe with a 96 motor and since I had the car the rack n pinion leaked the PS fluid. I can live with out PS but the pump makes a nasty noise and is eating some HP I am sure. BUT I see it is runing the Water pump...Is there anyway to get around this? Maybe Get a Double pully Alternator? ANyone done this before?

BTW I did a search n got nothing....

The best belt size to use is a 27.3" i beleive (or something of that nature. definately not any smaller). You can only get it at autozone. Getting it on is a little tricky due to having no tensioner. But it can be done with a couple of people and a couple of screw drivers or prybars while turning the crankshaft pulley.I've also got it to go on by streching it as much as possible and then bump the starter bit by bit. But this method doesn't always work.BTW. No power steering seriously sucks for autoxingI shortly put mine back on

James Poe

Top Speed Coupe

Thanks Ill try that out. I got a Double Pulley of a Car at the Junk yards alternator. Ima try this idea too. Ill let you know.

BTW...Im not much of an AutoXer I like top end, but sliding around corners is good too

YomnyM

I know that for autocrossing you may need powersteering, my pressure line that goes from the pump hose to the steering rack was leaking and it leaked till the point that the pump is useless now, so i have no choice but to take it out or spend a couple of hundred dollars which i can't right now to fix it. How can i take it out, pump and eveything then replace the belt, i recall someone saying to get 27.3" belt. I'll really appreciate someone's help. I just came from school and this crap has just ruin my day, can't think about nothing else, for some reason the(guessing burnt pump) the car started smoking when i got to school. (how embarrssing) oh well

Altiman94
Car: Paintball, cars, outdoor sports

on my 89, the powersteering belt is seperate from the waterpump. The waterpump belt goes around the alternator which also serves as the tensioner pully then goes around the crank pully. The PS pump has it's own seperate tensioner, and then travels around the crank pully. All in all, I have 3 seperate belts on my 240. PS pump was very easy removal and re-install when I replaced mine.

Racingmax53
Car: 1990 Nissan 240sx

Sorry to bring up an old thread but for the life of me cannot get the top PS hose off. It just turns the whole assembly. I'm trying to pull the motor out and that is the only thing stopping it from coming out. Do you have to disconnect the hose from lower down or what?

Timothy S
Car: 1998 Nissan Altima GXE, Auto RE4FO4A, KA24DE Engine

When I pulled the engine out of my altima, I was able to unbolt the pump from the engine and leave it in the car. You might be able to do the same.

Racingmax53
Car: 1990 Nissan 240sx

Ok! Awesome I will give that a try! Thank you

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”