power steering pump going bad?

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
FXness
Car: 2009 FX50S

Hello! I just registered today after buying my silver 2009 FX50S this weekend. I have been researching and shopping this particular model for several years. I refuse to buy a new car, so with that comes used car woes. It's ok because I love to wrench. So, I have had my car 2 days and I think the pump is whining and going bad. I did all the typical searches...Google, Rockauto, Autozone, etc to see what a tensioner pulley costs BEFORE I assume it's the pump. There doesn't seem to be any info on this part. What gives?

ArmedAviator
Car: 2012 M37x

First apply vacuum to the power steering pump reservoir with the engine running and turn the wheel back and forth a few times. I've done it before using a shop-vac and some ingenuity to get a tight fit around the reservoir cap. The vacuum will get any air out of the system which can cause the P/S pump whine.

FXness
Car: 2009 FX50S

That seems simple enough. Perhaps the cap is not making a good seal and is letting air into the system. Sounds like a good starting point. Thanks!

ArmedAviator
Car: 2012 M37x

Air can and should be in the reservoir. It does not have to be air-tight. Infact, I once drove my last car with the reservoir cap off for some thousand miles (oooops). Luckily non splashed out but the pump never made a sound. Its air in the pump that causes the whine. Only way to extract it is with vacuum.

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”