Power Seats - Back n Forth Dont Work, Relay Clickin. How do you access?

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Marwho
Car: 01' Nissan Pathfinder

My wife just had this issue on her 01 Nissan Pathfinder and after reading this thread I decided to give it a shot.

Problem: When you tried to move the seat forward it wouldn't move BUT you would HEAR a click of the motor trying to do it.

I figured out the sound by trying the other directions and you hear the same click as they start to move. So i figured it wasn't a problem with the motor.

Solution: While holding the electronic switch as if you were moving the seat forward (or backward) I grabbed the metal on the headrest (the only place I could get enough leverage and a good handle) and tugged toward the steering wheel. This immediately started the seat moving forward again and it was fixed! Tested it going forward and back.

So what happened I think is that if you move it to the extremes of forward or backward you may get off the track a little and a tug while the motor is going will fix it. Give it a shot, nothing to loose.

swiftjustice
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder LE

I just bought a 2003 Pathfinder LE and the seat has the same problem. the dealership wanted $1100 to fix saying that there was something blocking the track. I have whacked the motor a handful of times and no luck. Any ideas?

garyd333
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4

"Swift"-I recently took my wife's Infiniti QX4 to a Nissan shop on a different matter. However, as long as I had it in the shop, I asked them to look at a few issues and provide me with estimates. One of them was the seat not going back and forth. (It used to respond to "love taps" on the motor...but now it doesn't.) Their estimate to me was more in the $350 range...stating that it needs a "seat track switch". Anyway...given that they quoted you $1100...and maybe you have more going on than my situation...but you may want to investigate a second opinion. Just thought I'd share what little I know.GD

02pathyle
Car: 02 Nissan Pathfinder LE

My '02 Pathfinder driver's power seat quit going back and forth. I disassembled the entire seat and seat mechanism, and found the small white plastic gear that drives the worm screws was broken in half. I went to Nissan to get a new one, and they would only sell me the entire back and forth seat mechanism for $1200! Not the entire electric seat mechanism, just the back and forth part.
I couldn't find any Pathfinders at wrecking yards, because quote: “no one ever sell them, they just drive the wheels off them.”

I then disassembled the passenger seat, and retrieved the gear from it, and installed it in the driver's seat. I now have a working driver's seat, but not a working passenger seat.

So my problem is partially solved, but I am looking to have the gear replicated at a machine shop or? Suggestions welcome on this.

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

You can try other Nissan vehicles with power seat motors at the junkyard, I'd imagine they are similar internally.

Welcome to NICO!

MisplacedFloridian
Car: '02 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Tapping the motor worked like a champ. Couple light taps with a hammer and ta-dah ... lot to be said about 'percussive maintenance'! Thanks for the tip.

Stumbled across this forum while poking around the Interweb thingy, now registered and will be here quite a bit.

gcjazz12

My 2002 QX4 seat would only move forward towards one side.... One side was stuck and would not move...lt just clicked.... I took out the seat and started investigating the parts... Finally found a broken gear that runs perpendicular to the shaft.... Dealer tried to sell me the whole assembly, but didn't need it... Only the broken gear... Found one here
http://www.odometergears.com/products/I ... Present/98
And it fixed the problem.

body80

gcjazz12 wrote:My 2002 QX4 seat would only move forward towards one side.... One side was stuck and would not move...lt just clicked.... I took out the seat and started investigating the parts... Finally found a broken gear that runs perpendicular to the shaft.... Dealer tried to sell me the whole assembly, but didn't need it... Only the broken gear... Found one here
http://www.odometergears.com/products/I ... Present/98
And it fixed the problem.
Hell yea I knew there was a reason I haven't fixed this yet.
about 6 months ago one side of the seat stopped moving. I investigated and the gear was broken. Nissan has a part that replaces the whole motor assembly for around $280 Part# 87562-C9925
http://www.nissanpartszone.com/parts/ni ... c9925.html
Here's the TSB
http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/fixur ... 0-095a.pdf

I think I'm just going to order the gear though.
Thanks for the link.

02pathyle
Car: 02 Nissan Pathfinder LE

thanks for the awesome tip! you just saved me $1175 dollars. Do you think Nissan dealers know about this speedometer gear site and choose not to share the info with their customers?

gcjazz12

I showed the broken gear to the Nissan parts desk employee and he robotically explained to me that all they sell is the assembly...I remember it being well over $500...

To move my seat back and forward... Not worth that kinda money.... But for a simple plastic gear replacement well worth the money....

It's hard to not feel like they're out to screw ya when this kind of stuff happens.

body80

Ordered the gear and installed it yesterday.

It worked GREAT. My seat moves again.

Thanks for the link.

rug101_07
Car: '01 Pathfinder

I have a 2001 Pathfinder. Running into the same problems with the back n forth (hear the click, but it doesn't move). What does the motor look like under the seat. I noticed two gold cylinders under the seat. One in the front and another in the middle. Is that the motor?

Also, if I need to remove the seat, are there any precautions I should know about? I assume it's just the four screws and it will lift out? I noticed some stated that I need to unhook the car battery as the yellow cord removal would possibly set of the airbag...it that true? I'm pretty common sense handy, but not a mechanic. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

Welcome to NICO.

If you have side airbags, you must disconnect the negative battery terminal before disconnecting any yellow wiring harness plug. Yellow is always air bag / safety restraint system related. If you don't have side airbags, any yellow harness under the seat should be disconnected and you don't have to worry about it. I'm pretty sure the seat is secured by four 12mm or 14mm bolts, yes. I've never removed the seat, so I'm not exactly sure.

The motor is a cylinder, yes. There are probably two, one for lateral movement and one for vertical movement.

rug101_07
Car: '01 Pathfinder

Thanks for the heads-up, it's an LE model so I do have side airbags. I will disconnect both battery connections...just to be on the safe side.

Dubl07
Car: 2003 pathfinder le

I just wanted to thank this forum for saving me at least $700.
I have a 2003 le that i just bought and the back/forth function was not working properly.
The right side(closest to center console) would move but the left side was jammed. So the seat would move only until it was bound up by the stuck left side.
Being that i bought this truck just as a winter vehicle i wasnt looking to sink a bunch of money into it. Nissan quoted me $687 plus $106 diagnosis fee to replace the entire assembly. I asked if they could somehow manually move it forward 3 inches just so i could reach the pedals safely and they said it was not possible.

So i turned to here, and read that there is only one motor(which was working fine) and two worm screws. I tried tapping on the motor, which didnt fix it. or so next, for a quick fix i simply unscrewed 1 screw connecting the motor to the stuck track and now the seat moves freely and all power functions work perfect.
The screw is a gold 10mm hex located if facing the controls on the side as 12oclock is at about 8' oclock. Once released u can easily unjam it or just leave it disconnected. I just left it disconnected and it works fine, no wobbles just as firm and now much more comfortable. I also used this forum to then reset the srs airbag light that came on when i dissconnected the yellow harness.

Thank you!

agrant32
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE

THANK YOU! I just used a rubber mallet in my 2002 Pathfinder LE and gave the motor a few taps and sure enough the seat moves again!

mmehrotra

I have the same problem and the tips worked on the driver side after using the hammer.
Can someone help me on how to fix the same problem on the passenger side?
I looked under and there's no motor on the passenger side. On that side the seat doesn't go up either but the recliner works.

Any help will be appreciated!!!

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”