Power Antenna Won't Work after New Radio

General discussion area for the L30-chassis Altima
brooklynstayf
Car: 1998 Nissan Altima GLE

Hello I installed an aftermarket JVC radio. Everything worked as it should. After a day my power antenna stopped working. I checked all connections, the fuses, and still can't figure out the problem.

One thing I notice when I first installed the new radio was when I put the antenna cable in the unit it would spark a little. Now when I remove the antenna cable and re-insert it, theres no spark. Makes it seems like theres no power in the antenna cable.

Also I remember when I first install the new head unit it would not power on accessory mode without the power antenna wire connected to the JVC unit.

Another thing I would like to add was I use the remote wire off the head unit with a relay so I can power on multiple components like an battery isolator, EQ, lights, Fans and Amps....I connected the output on the relay that powers my amp turn on to the power antenna wire.

I also connected the old factory radio and the power antenna still doesn't work.

Everything works as it should except the power antenna.

Any ideas on what the problem could be or more troubleshooting tips?
Car is 98 Altima GLE
Thank in advance!

Jrooga
Car: 1999 nissan altima 5 spd

Not sure how to test it but you may have just shorted out the antenna wire if you can test it out if thats what it is go to a scrap yard pull the antenna yourself shouldnt cost much at all.

Jrooga
Car: 1999 nissan altima 5 spd

Forgot to mention it could be off track as well turn the radio on and listen for the antenna motor if you dont hear nothing its probably a wire or motor

deigodatsun
Car: 97 altima

i also think the likely culprit is a bad wire or motor, u can test the wiring with a cheap lead tester, or an ohm meter ( got harbor freight? ) , the motor i think you could apply voltage directly to it to check it, should b 12 volts, but check the fsm first , here is half a link to what u need : nicoclub.com/service-manual?fsm=Altima/1998/el , just search for it or add the http www b4 nicoclub

Return to “2nd Generation Altima Sedan (1998-2001)”