Power Antenna motor...

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
bomber240

Ok, my wonderful Nissan power antenna hasn't worked right in years. I finally replaced the mast awhile ago and it still doesn't want to operate. I can hear the motor grinding when I turn the car on, and wn tur it off, but the mast only moves about 0.5 inches. Does anyone know how to access the antenna motor? and if it is easily replaced?:confused:

JNM240
Car: 90 Coupe, 90 Hatch (CA18DET)

Or do like did 4 years ago and remove the hole thing and have it filled and painted (also known as 'shaved'). Coupes look super clean with no antenna!

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

He makes it sound so easy! :D The s13's are infamous for this and it will be a headache for the rest of the ownership of the vehicle, but if you're anal like me, you don't care and you want it to work regardless. So here's what you do. Get on ebay, there is a guy on there that sells replacement antenneas (the whole thing, not just the mast) for about $40 with shipping. You'll have to do some wiring, but it's no big deal either. That antena on the other hand is a pain in the *** to get out. You'll have to pull the interior panel, take out the jack and the mount that the jack goes into. Then unscrew the bolt (3 I think) that bolt it to the metal in the car. Then unscrew the retainer on the top. Remember to unplug the harness, the antenna wire that goes to the radio, and the drain hose at the bottom. The drain hose is a pain to get back on. Installation is the reverse of removal. ( ;) I've always wanted to say that!)

topless@vabeach
Car: Electronics, anything that has trons in it.

Sill question time again. Can you pull the antenna up when you apply power? It just might need a little lube. When I first purchased my car the antenna only went up 4 inches. A little , Heck a lot of WD40 and a lot of turning the radio on and off made the antenna now go almost all the way up 85% of the time. I am one cheap person so I will fix it before replacing it. If you cant pull it up when power is applied the go with the replacement.

bomber240

I can pull the antenna completely up, but only push it down a few inches, or maybe only 2! When I turn radio on I can hear the motor running and see the antenna try to move, same thing when I turn it off, the antenna barely moves each way. I Cant't even force the antenna down if I HAD to!

topless@vabeach
Car: Electronics, anything that has trons in it.

People might say WD40 is bad and will only last a month, I did mine a while ago and its still working. Sounds like the cable/wire that is pushed up the inside of the antenna is either broke or the drive gear that pushed the cable up and down is toast. Just replace it. You can always go the cheap way out and just put a standard replacement antenna on. It doesnt have to be a power one.

R240NA

What probably is happening is this, a section of the cord from the mast has broken off inside the motor, so the new mast won't go down all the way. Take the motor out and remove the lower cover, there's a spool inside it. Clean it out good and remove any debris and any pieces of cord. That should do it.

Lepchitz1
Car: Cars, and LESBIANS!!!

listen to Russ he knows what hes talkin about...hehe hey russ!

KarmaPolice

I know this is stupid but I dont hear anything on mine. I think it's hooked up wrong. What is the proper way to hook up the power antenna power wise?

rudeboy
Car: cars

any good alternative to replacing it with somwthing wlse and it not lookin stupid?

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

that is without a doubt the ricey-est thing that I have ever seen....

bomber240

I'll take it apart and see, thanks fo rhte input! :0

Boehm

You can get a small (12-18") rubber whip antenna that looks decent and is a faily easy install (same as any other antenna) at radio shack.

joe_keyzer

I bought a replacment universal anteana from walmart for like 35 bucks. it's not to bad to do this is the whole thing. When you do it take a test like and make sure the red wire gets the 12 constant and the blue wire goes to the wire in the stock harness that turns on and off *with* the radio. When i put mine in the first time it wouldn't come up and I ripped the whole thing out and it was just beacuse my aftermarket cd player one has the anteana up with the fm function wooops

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”