power antenna help j30

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
msudawgs98
Car: motorcycles, cars

When I bought my J30 last month, I noticed that the antenna was broken and needed to be replaced. So, I got on e-bay and was able to buy the whole antenna assembly. I thought it was goin to be a simple plug and play but as I turned on my radio, nothing happened and when I turned off the radio, the antenna raised up. I was confused. One note is that the previous owner had replaced the stock Bose system with a pioneer head unit and he did some wiring to make the speaker work somehow. Anyway, there is a slew off rats nest wires in the dash that I didn't know where to start. I opted to look at the power antenna end (trunk to see whether I can just reverse the polarity of the wires so that it will work opposite from how it is working now. I noticed that the power antenna itself (motor) has 5 wires (red, black, brown, blue/red, and yellow) in the male connector. The connector coming from the head unit itself only has 3 wires (black, yellow/red, and green/orange) in the famale connector. My question is which of these wires can I switch so that I can get a desirable result from my power antenna. I need help!

NISTECH

how do the wires on the new ant match up to the old one? are they the same?

msudawgs98

the wires matches up with the old power antenna connector and with recently bought antenna. do you happen to know which of these wires do what. what's with the extra 2 wires from the male connector end?

NISTECH

I will try to look up the wiring diag today. it seems odd the factory harness coming from the radio has less wires then the factry ant. the wire coming from your aftermarket radio for ant signal would be blue. [that would be directly out of the back of the radio] it sends both up and down signals. now how it is routed into the factory set up is the mistery part. need to see how that circuit works and feeds the ant. for that will need the diag. will let you know if I find something. since you didnt post the year of the car I am going to assume is a 98 based on your user name.

msudawgs98

NISTECH, The year of my J30 is a 94. Thanks for the help

NISTECH

here ya go this is from a 96 manual. realized your car wasent a 98 when I discovered 97 was the last year. any how wiring looks to be the same for 96 as you described.

msudawgs98

thanks nistech. i'll get to trying to figure out what's wrong this weekend

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”