Power Antenna 92 300zx

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
RuztyZ
Car: 1992 Nissan 300zx z32

So I was messing with the old basket case rusty Z trying to get the power antenna to work without removing it from the car but was unsuccessful.After removing it and using jumpers to the battery it still wasn’t working,not even a click.So I decided to disassemble it and found the inside in gross shape .I was wet and the motor had a bunch of dirt and grime in it.So I started by cleaning the inside of the motor with electrical cleaner and compressed air cleaned the brushes and connections,reassembled it and jumped it to a battery and still nothing .So I noticed a small resistor looking fuse and decided to check the continuity with my multimeter and found there was no continuity.I found that this is a thermal type fuse with a spring inside that melts when the circuit is overloaded .I then bypassed the fuse with a wire to bypass the fuse and reassembled it and jumped it to a battery and the motor worked.The antenna must have gotten stuck by all the grime and caused the fuse to blow .The fuse is a UMI Microtemp Thermal fuse 122 2A 250V .I already ordered the fuse and I still have to clean the rest of the inside of the antenna .Ill update when I get the replacement fuse and replace it and see how it works.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”