Power additions. You know, for power.

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
itinifni
Car: 2006 Quest SE Special Edition.

First off, I love, love, love, this van. It is all I need in the space department, and I think it looks good. As any 45 year old van driving man will tell you, their van needs to be as fast as a GTR. Well, not every man. But this one has the desire. I know that there are parameters that will never allow me to reach the edge of the envelope nearing 200 mph in this, and still be roadworthy and have longevity. I think the weakest links are the transmission, and the ecu. Has anybody ever modified or done some reliable performance additions to the Quest? I have looked around briefly and cannot see anyone selling performance headers for a VQ35de Quest style. I am certain that it can be done, but I am also certain as well, that there really isn't much of a market for this for a Quest. I know that the Quest will never be some 200 mph vehicle, but I would love to have some options for power additions. Please chime in if you have done anything to mod your Quest to glean more power out of it. I am not afraid to be schooled in the process.

pk386

I know my 04 has plenty of power from the get go.

As far as bolt on performance parts your out of luck.

The VQ35DE is becoming a well documented engine.

But start with the basics and you will have to engineer your own parts. Access to a dyno would be the best to prove or disprove any gains.

three things I've noticed since my family has owned ours:

1) The air intake is mostly plastic boxes you can find MAF to 3" filter adapters all day long on ebay for the Maxima. I have debated on pulling all of the air boxes and using PVC or metal tube make a 3" tube that will put a cone filter in the bumper in front of the front left wheel. I want to do this purely to open up the engine bay and make it feel less cramped. (note keep in mind when building the intake what would happen if you hit a puddle of water. you may risk hydro locking the engine.)

2) The exhaust is EXTREMELY RESTRICTIVE between the engine and the secondary cat. not to mentioned the one pipe that is crushed to make room for the sub-frame. Have an exhaust shop look at straightening out those sections and changing out the mufflers.

3) keep an eye on the front suspension bushings on the lower control arms. Mine are already torn and they pop or clack when you go from full ac-cell to brake.

Finally Just remember for the most part it's just a taller Maxima and go from there.
if you have the time and money I'm sure maxima suspension parts could be made to work.

also if you have an early mode (04-05?) check the ECU in the wiper cowl and make sure that it hasn't corroded. Clean paint and seal it if it has.

itinifni
Car: 2006 Quest SE Special Edition.

Mine's an 06, I have given serious thought about putting a cone filter on, in a wai setup, but I think it may be spurious. My bushings are getting bad on the front as well. Funny things are happening to the van as of lately. I can start it, but have no odo, no turn signals, no engine tempreture. I'll shut it off, and restart, and it comes back after the second or third keytwist. also the odo display is not showing all the actual numbers. usually after a rain this happens. I also have a constant orange light for the backup camera disable button. So, until these things are repaired, no modding whatsoever.

Return to “Quest Forum”