Power adders and the driveline.

In 2014, the G37 Sedan became Infiniti Q50. G37 Coupe and Convertible became Infiniti Q60 under Infiniti's new naming structure - Here's the place to discuss the Q50 and Q60!
RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

I have seen many examples of the Q50 (3.7 and 3.0T alike) adding significant power that almost certainly begs the question of "what are we going to do with the trans and diff?"

The trans is mostly covered - many 370Z guys have cracked this, and the 7AT in these cars isn't something that can't be modified fairly easily at a trans shop. The biggest gaping question is the differential.

The Q50 uses an R190 series diff, whereas the Z/G cars all used R200 diffs. I have seen a case of a boosted 3.7L Q50 blowing the stock diff while making over 500whp, so it may be a weak link. So is the answer a diff swap? It would take SERIOUS work to make an R200 fit... likely to the point that it's nowhere near sensible. Does anyone make an aftermarket option for the Q50?

Does anyone have any insight or experience with this?

Nismoknights_Q60
Car: 2017 q60 3.0t

RicerX wrote:I have seen many examples of the Q50 (3.7 and 3.0T alike) adding significant power that almost certainly begs the question of "what are we going to do with the trans and diff?"

The trans is mostly covered - many 370Z guys have cracked this, and the 7AT in these cars isn't something that can't be modified fairly easily at a trans shop. The biggest gaping question is the differential.

The Q50 uses an R190 series diff, whereas the Z/G cars all used R200 diffs. I have seen a case of a boosted 3.7L Q50 blowing the stock diff while making over 500whp, so it may be a weak link. So is the answer a diff swap? It would take SERIOUS work to make an R200 fit... likely to the point that it's nowhere near sensible. Does anyone make an aftermarket option for the Q50?

Does anyone have any insight or experience with this?
I'm glad you posted this, I was just going to start looking into a new rear end because I did a burn out in the rain and was only spinning one wheel. Embarrassing!!! I was going to start researching different rear ends for the G and Z but you now you telling me they do not fit. I want to 3.9x gear ratio if possible.

And for the transmission, I just added a trans cooler, and we found out the q60 trans has some type of cooler already on it. I have not seen it yet but that's what the shop told me.

Also, I'm a firm believer that Q cars with the 3.Ot have a stronger transmission. With all the auto trans problems in the past I know that they had to build them stronger now

RicerX

Here's what's interesting about the transmission - the 3.7L Q50s and the 3.0T Q50s all share the same unit. Same model number and everything. I am currently looking into what may have been done to any internals. According to Jatco's website, there aren't any differences. Your info about there being a cooler on the Q60 trans is news to me, but that explains what they may/may not have done to cushion the trans for the added power of the 3.0T. It may be as simple as keeping the trans at a safe temperature and once that temperature threshold is exceeded, the car pulls boost in order to allow it to cool.

I'm really surprised they didn't use the transmission they used in the M56s at least... but we don't have the whole story yet. Maybe the 7AT that's in there is good enough, but any power adders above Red Sport power and I imagine you've got to be playing with trouble at some point without some added protection.

In any case, the 7AT has plenty out there on the aftermarket for reinforcements. Plenty of Z guys running 550+ tq through autos without fuss after a couple things like a cooler and clutch packs. Fast Intentions' website has a couple things. My big worry is the diff. Someone has got to be working on that.

Nismoknights_Q60
Car: 2017 q60 3.0t

Thanks for all the info, but remember for the 7at transmission just because it's the same part nunber does not mean the part is made the same or with the same metals. I believe the new clutch disc are stronger. Well I hope so lol..

And I have a chance to get a used but pretty much New rear end with 3.6x gears in it and another one with 4.3x both from z1 and both were installed on older q60 2014 I believe. 3.7 for sure.do you know if it will bolt up to my car 2017 q60??

strikemyrmidon
Car: Current:
2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport | Graphite Shadow

Past:
2008 BMW M3 | Melbourne Red
2006 Volvo S60 | Silver
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo | Basalt Black
1993 Mazda RX-7 | Vintage Red

Nismoknights_Q60 wrote:do you know if it will bolt up to my car 2017 q60??
It won't.

BlueSleeper
Car: 2017 Iridium Blue Q50 RS400

I had a quaife diff put into my 2010 sedan to help it hook. I was quite pleased and had over 60k miles on it when I traded it. Quaife's are pretty bullet proof.

I would like to get a limiited slip in my new RS400 so I will be looking into the same solution, but I don't know enough about what I have to even ask good questions yet.

Any resources that explain the differences and any potential solutions?
:confused:
Thanks

RicerX

Right now, it's throw a metric ton of money in retrofitting an R200 diff into a Q50/Q60 (At minimum, driveshaft and axle modification... not even sure about mounting), or it's getting a group of people together that's large enough to merit the attention of someone like Quaife to build one.

Otherwise, it's a waiting game.

Return to “Infiniti Q50 / Q60 Forum”