potential m56 owner

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
m56bkny
Car: lexus ls430

Hello

I currently own a 2004 lexus ls430
I am looking to possibly get into a 2011 or 2012 m56. I was thinking about upgrading to another lexus but wanted to try something different. I am definitely not going to get a German car so infinti is the next best option. I have a few questions before I pull the trigger.
Are they any former lexus owners that have transitioned to infinit owners? If so, how do you compare lexus overall product to infiniti?
I would like detailed pro's and con's with the m56.
Is there anything to look out for when purchasing an M56 that can cause a serious issue?
what is a good ball park figure purchase cost for an 11 or 12 m56 currently?
What is your deep overall opinion about the infiniti m56?

All feedback and opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

kmk786
Car: 2015 Q70L
2006 M45 Sport - SOLD

All round great car. I have been going back and forth between Lexus and Infiniti for the past decade and here is my experience:

Pros
- Great drive, good use of power. Infiniti begs to be driven, while Lexus is more tame.
- Tighter around the corners than a GS or LS - less floaty.
- Better looking and different from the the rest. In a sea of boxy sedans, the curves are a welcome sight. Who doesn't like curves? :whistle:

Cons
- Resell value isn't as good as Lexus.
- Lots of technology packed into these cars. Recommend the extended warranty. Would do the same with the newer Lexus, so this goes in the draw category.
- If you get the Sport package burning through the tires every 30K miles isn't nice on the wallet.

Maintenance is about the same, if you are going through the dealer. Now, the intangible feeling of driving a rocket is priceless. Before purchasing my Q70L, I was in the market for an M56 and saw them anywhere from $30k to $50K - depending on miles and the equipment.

Both manufacturers are solid. I feel you get more bang for your money with Infiniti. Best of luck in your journey.

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

I came from a 02 GS430. I was shopping a for a 2010-12'ish LS460, test drove a few, and really liked them. They ride nice and look great but at the same time they feel very subdued though.

Then I found and drove a M56. It's a A very different animal. Powerful and sporty for such a big car, much more alive then the LS. Im sure the 40hp bump is a big part of that. I very briefly considered a newer GS but as nice as they are I really think they need to make a model with performance to match its competitors. The newest models have the HP ratings as my 13yo GS did.

m56bkny

Thank you for all of your advice.

I guess one of my main fears is leaving the comfortable, quite feeling of the lexus line. I have had 3 cars from lexus and a little afraid to try something different. I have only really heard good things about infiniti so am definitely looking to take a leap in a different direction.

any other things i should be concerned with?

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Only thing I have an issue with, interior wise/luxury wise on Infiniti's, is the speakers. Even the high-end 14 speaker system. I blare my music and have now developed small rattles (when the bass really hits) in the door speakers. Not sure if it's the speaker itself or surrounding plastics. But otherwise, the car is top notch and I love my M (second one I've owned).

SwissCheeseHead
Car: 11 M37x, 94 BMW 530i

i'm probably a lone wolf in this situation but I bought my M37 used with 30K miles and 2 weeks left of the factory warranty. (End of October 2014). I had an issue with the front distance sensor (technology package), that Infiniti covered the cost of the part for ($2100), but I paid for the labor to install and calibrate, about $250. Now I'm running into issues with the heater core. If you have get one with the tech package, definitely check that out. Also check to make sure heat is coming out of every vent in the car.

My past car was a 2008 Infiniti G37. I only put on about 12K miles but they were trouble-free and enjoyable on top of that. Once I get this heater issue sorted out, I'm expecting a relatively trouble-free ownership. Not gonna lie, it's been disheartening.

bpratt
Car: 2011 M56S

I've got a 2011 M56S, and my wife has a 2010 Lexus GS350. We've owned both since new.

I like the Lexus leather a bit more, and it's a little quieter and softer ride than the M56 with sport package.

The M56S handles better, has MUCH more performance, and the paddle shifters are nice to have on occasion. I also like the nav/audio UI better in the M56, although that may be more a case of driving the Infiniti every day and the Lexus only occasionally. And I like the style of the M56 better, although the new GS F is looking good.

We were coming from a Porsche 911 / BMW 528 pair (long story, but I was definitely NOT buying another German car), so neither of us was used to either Lexus or Infiniti. I do like my Infiniti better, but if I was used to and liked Lexus I'd probably have just gotten another one, I don't know that the difference is that big between them. Except that there is no GS equivalent of the M56 engine! Maybe if they put the RC F engine into a 4 door sedan?

Bob

m56bkny wrote:Hello

I currently own a 2004 lexus ls430
I am looking to possibly get into a 2011 or 2012 m56. I was thinking about upgrading to another lexus but wanted to try something different. I am definitely not going to get a German car so infinti is the next best option. I have a few questions before I pull the trigger.
Are they any former lexus owners that have transitioned to infinit owners? If so, how do you compare lexus overall product to infiniti?
I would like detailed pro's and con's with the m56.
Is there anything to look out for when purchasing an M56 that can cause a serious issue?
what is a good ball park figure purchase cost for an 11 or 12 m56 currently?
What is your deep overall opinion about the infiniti m56?

All feedback and opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Debonair

bpratt wrote:...I don't know that the difference is that big between them. Except that there is no GS equivalent of the M56 engine! Maybe if they put the RC F engine into a 4 door sedan?

Bob
This brings up another bit of info from my car search. Since my wife's Subaru is the primary family car she encouraged me to get something fun. So the IS-F made it onto my short list of cars since it seems to be the only Lexus with modern performance. The basic performance numbers compared were very...interesting :ohno: (see chart below). The LS460 is on this list as well but as said before its not looking to impress with power, more with fit and finish plus its L logo :biggrin: .

The performance numbers made a big difference for me when came time to make a decision. Plus the lower cost for a newer vehicle vs Lexus models.

I also looked for and found a M56 without all the fancy gadgets. This is a driving car for me. Our Subaru has all the lane departure, adaptive cruise control, collision avoidance, etc. that I use on road trips. They add safety and convenience depending on the situation but can be very frustrating in everyday driving for me. Plus less to break means less to fix. This car just goes like crazy and looks good doing it.

m56bkny

since we are on the subject. I was also looking @ the m37 as well, but i am used to driving a v8 on all of my cars. Would the m37 be enough power to keep me happy. obviously there is a huge difference in horsepower but i can also assume there is also a weight difference as well. how does the 37 measure up to the 56. and is there figures in the 56 that you cannot get on the 37 i.e. interior quality, technology?

Debonair

m56bkny wrote:since we are on the subject. I was also looking @ the m37 as well, but i am used to driving a v8 on all of my cars. Would the m37 be enough power to keep me happy. obviously there is a huge difference in horsepower but i can also assume there is also a weight difference as well. how does the 37 measure up to the 56. and is there figures in the 56 that you cannot get on the 37 i.e. interior quality, technology?
I've never driven the M37 so I personally can't say. But I'm sure someone else will chime in. Lots of M37 drivers here.

I will contribute this. The M37 is a 40hp bump from the 04 LS430 which is pretty significant but the torque takes a hit which is probably what you would notice more. Again I have not driven it so... Yeah.

SilGuy

i'm in the same boat! good timing, or at least a 3 months ago... :chuckle:

The power is what will make the final decision for me. I'm actually looking at options or affordable powerful V8s in the 20k price range. I also looked into an older Mercedes E63 or C63, but I don't think I can afford the AMG maintenance parts. Another decision factor for me is I like to work on my own cars. I'm a DIY type of guy when it comes to cars. Nissan/Infiniti factory service manuals are handy and easy to attain. It's hard to get one for the AMG. For Lexus, you have to go thru their online service. If I get the M56, I'd like to achieve a 500rwhp goal. But, to be realistic, since I don't see much aftermarket performance parts, I'll be happy w/ any quality bolt-on. I should probably look more in the Titan forums.

stm37s
Car: 2012 300 SRT8
2011 M37S
2006 Range Rover HSE (Wife's Ride)
2012 Camaro LS (Wife's Ride)
95 Impala SS (sold)
2004 Impala SS (sold)
2012 Hyundai Veloster (Daughters Ride)

Debonair wrote:
m56bkny wrote:since we are on the subject. I was also looking @ the m37 as well, but i am used to driving a v8 on all of my cars. Would the m37 be enough power to keep me happy. obviously there is a huge difference in horsepower but i can also assume there is also a weight difference as well. how does the 37 measure up to the 56. and is there figures in the 56 that you cannot get on the 37 i.e. interior quality, technology?
I've never driven the M37 so I personally can't say. But I'm sure someone else will chime in. Lots of M37 drivers here.

I will contribute this. The M37 is a 40hp bump from the 04 LS430 which is pretty significant but the torque takes a hit which is probably what you would notice more. Again I have not driven it so... Yeah.

The m37 is a fun car to drive. I have no issues except with the torque as mentioned. My plan is a simple one, get some headers, intake and a tune and I will be done and a happy camper. The m37 has more power than some V8's and that is amazing for a car of this size and weight. I'm one HAPPY OWNER.

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

SilGuy wrote:i'm in the same boat! good timing, or at least a 3 months ago... :chuckle:

The power is what will make the final decision for me. I'm actually looking at options or affordable powerful V8s in the 20k price range. I also looked into an older Mercedes E63 or C63, but I don't think I can afford the AMG maintenance parts. Another decision factor for me is I like to work on my own cars. I'm a DIY type of guy when it comes to cars. Nissan/Infiniti factory service manuals are handy and easy to attain. It's hard to get one for the AMG. For Lexus, you have to go thru their online service. If I get the M56, I'd like to achieve a 500rwhp goal. But, to be realistic, since I don't see much aftermarket performance parts, I'll be happy w/ any quality bolt-on. I should probably look more in the Titan forums.
Not much at all in the performance add-ons right now.

Don't bother with Titan/Armada/etc forums. Slightly different.

We don't have the single intake so no intakes available for M56 as of now that I know of. Suspension may be about the only thing besides cosmetic to do to the M56 at this point.

Hope there is much more with time.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

500 hp ??? Bloody Nora! I've driven M37's each time mine is in for an oil change, etc. They are plenty peppy for a V6 (not any better than my M35 with the HR engine though). They handle well, but in NO way are they similar to the M56 aside from name plate.
It is nothing short of amazing how the huge, comfy M56 gets off and keeps pulling (that's where those extra tq's come in handy). Nearly savage acceleration. And even though you didn't mention mpg, there isn't all that much of a drop compared to the M37.
Here is why Infiniti will always win over the competition for me: The car drives and rides according to how you drive it. It can be a huge comfy luxo-cruiser on the motorway for long trips, and just a easily transform into a tight, fast sporty driving machine when you give it the beans and use sport mode. No other car in this class can do both so masterfully. My only 2 gripes: There are sooooo many other systems out there that make the Bose feel 'bargain'. Even Hyundai has an optional system on its Genesis that beats Bose hands down. We don't need a $6000 Bang&Olufsen option as in the Audi https://youtu.be/wzZwJjQelmE , but give us something a little higher grade. Second, can we PLEASE have a panoramic roof option?? Other cars in this price range and even bargain brands have had these for years now. What gives?

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”