potential buyer of s13 convertible

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
Javi802
Car: 89, 240sx Coupe w/ka24de swap

whats up guys, I'm new to this site and kind of new to the 240sx scene. I live in Dallas, Texas and was looking to buy a 240 when i came across a white convertible. Here is the guys description

"This is a white with grey interior 240sx limited edition convertable. It has had a trans rebuild about 5 years ago. The car had some shift delay & was told it needed a solenoid block. I did not fix it but a solenoid is not expensive to replace. The car has been sitting in the drive way for a couple of years with out any major movement to it. Due to this the interior has damage from the sun & heat. The paint also has some deffects but all in all the exterior has no major damage.The odomoter reads 160,000 but it stoped working & since then about 10,000 miles was put into it so roughly it would have 170,000 miles but no more. The ac is in good working condition. The battery was changed 2 years ago with little to no usage to it so it is fairly new. The top was replaced about 8 years ago but since it is never moved it looks like it was put on yesterday. This is a clean tittle car with no history of being in accidents. Asking price is $3,200.00 firm. The car is located in Garland."

So, for a car that possibly needs a new transmission, has been sitting for 2 years, needs a tune up, all fluids and filters changed, how much should i really have to pay? The car is still automatic too, which would get an MT swap.
Im going to look at it next saturday, what are some things i should look for?
Is frame damage noticeable to a newbie?
Just in general what should i look at in a car that has been sitting for 2 years?

Well for anyone who responds, thank you. And sorry if my post is repetitive, i just really want a convertible 240 and want to make sure its fine to buy.
Good day people!

cole d
Car: 93 S13 conv

I would not trust a thing that guys says. In the words of Ronald Regan," trust but verify". A car that has been sitting in the Texas sun for 2 yrs and has interior damage but the top looks brand new? Make sure you check the spare tire well for rust issue and also look in the engine bay along the fenders you are looking to make sure the color matches and there is no obvious sign of body work. Check to make sure the top works and all of the power windows. I would be a little worried about the transmission if it was that easy to fix it why would he park the car for 2 yrs? Good luck, hopefully the car is in good condition and you are not waisting your time. Based on his ad no way is that car worth $3200. Shameless plug but I'm selling my 93 vert w/1jz-vvti engine installed. Pm me for details

Javi802

yeah i dont trust the guy already just because of the fact he said the battery is "basically new" because he put a new one in before sitting the car. lol. The picture he has of it though its parked under a port in the back, with about half of it exposed to the sun.

But he said the engine is fine, and that he starts it every now and then, just doesn't move it (because of the slipping, I'm guessing) and if thats true and the body is in good condition with no rust or frame damage, how much should i offer without getting jipped? when it comes down to it, were gonna see if the engine will even turn over. I really think he's trying to get more than he should because of the fact its a convertible.

And can an engine still be in good running condition after so long of sitting?

I know you guys might be thinking "why don't you just go look at it and find out"
I'm just impatient and want to know what y'all would value the car at, based on what I'm saying. I just want to know everything i can before hand.
Im also gonna have two 240 guys guys come with me to look at it, and give the seller their opinions.
Thanks in advance for any replies

Javi802

and how do i pm lol

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

Javi802 wrote:and how do i pm lol
Can't PM until you have 10 posts.

Check out the sticky thread of what to look for when buying a Vert.

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”