Possibly buying 95 Pathfinder Tomorrow

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
redhat-z

Wife smashed Q45 yesterday. Found 95 Pathfinder XE 4x4 with 120k miles. Clean! Perfect interior. Timing belt, tensioners, and water pump changed at 77k. I have verified this with the previous owner. Talked the dealer down to $3300. They let me take it for the night as a courtesy vehicle. The front wheels have a slight squeak when moving forward that just doesn't sound like worn brake pads. Transmission shifts real smooth. Under the hood, sounds like a valve follower needs to be adjusted. I have some years experience with nissans but not pathfinders or the VG30E.

Does anyone have any opinions and/or suggestions on what to look and listen for either now or in the future?

maxima278
Car: 96 240SX SR20, 69 Ford Pickup, 99 Dodge Ram 1500, 1996 Nissan Maxima, 1997 Nissan Maxima project, 89 Coupe shell

I've owned 3 of this body style pathfinder and shopped extensively for the third one I just recently bought. What you're hearing under the hood may possibly be an exhaust leak at the manifold. With the exception of the one I just bought which has upgraded studs on the manifold, every single one that I looked at, along with both of the ones I owned previously, had this problem. A mechanic will fix those exhaust studs for about $100. It's much better to pay him than to do it yourself. I know this because I've done both. Maximas with the VG30E (89-94) have the same problem.

I was in love with the first one I had, which is why I bought the second and third, and even though it's not the fastest thing in the world, it's a very endearing vehicle. I prefer the manual transmission models, but they are rare and could take a while to find.

So what color is it and what options does it have? $3300 is not a bad deal. I paid $3700 for my 94 with 135k, manual trans, black rear spare tire carrier, running boards, etc. That was the best deal I found by a longshot and I searched for 3 months!

Chris92SE
Car: 2017 QX30
2003 Pathfinder LE

I had a 95 SE 5-speed and it took me a long time to find it. As a bonus, it had grey leather. I bought it in 2000 and traded it for a QX4 when it got to 100k, though. I really liked it and miss it a lot. It was a lot tighter and more rugged looking.

The VG engine is notorious for broken manifold studs and I would get that looked at and try to use it as a bargaining tool. Otherwise, it sounds like a good deal. Personally, I like the interior on the 94-95s better with the rounded dash.

I never had a single problem with mine, so I am not sure what else to look for. Back then I wanted the SE because it had a limited slip diff and bigger tires, but I bought new tires and wheels, anyway.

good luck if you get it.

redhat-z

I bought the Pathfinder. We had to have something by today. As clean and well maintained as it is, we just couldn't pass it up. Upon further inspection of the front-passenger wheel with the squeal, it is coming from the hub. Thank God for FSM's. As far as the noise under the hood, exhaust leak. No shock there.

And for the smashed Q45, I now have a motor for my 240sx!!!

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

what year was your Q?

redhat-z

It was a 93 Q45. We bought it out of necessity 18 mo ago when the transmission in her Elantra blew up. The Q had some rough places but ran like a beast. At $1750, the price was right as well since we are both cheap.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”