Possible vh forged connecting rod option?

Discuss topics related to the VH41DE, VH45DE, VK45DE, and VK56DE engines.
LOOM

Hi guys :wavey: first post here :woot:

So like all guys who like cars no matter the brand I found the vh which I think will be a great engine for a future project someday, but like all good things there is always something. That something for the vh as you know is the lack of aftermarket support, one of them being the lack of forged rods and pistons. I know people are making good power on stock internals, but like all lovers of horsepower I want more and don't want to be afraid to ask more from the engine.

So the hunt began in search of a forged rod that would get the job done for my future project, planning is key. So I searched high and low yet couldn't find anything apart from the ridiculously expensive custom rods. I looked at engines I know or have heard of that might do the trick, but came up short. Then one day(yesterday) I can across an image with a description that might point me in the right direction.

I found the toyota 22r and 3rz, yes yes I know its a toyota but who cares if it gets the job done or might get the job done with some slight magic :crazy: .

So lets get to the specs:

*Please note, these are not confirmed dimensions and might require some more searching. Also I am no expert what so ever. So please don't take my word as gospel.*

Now that the paper work is done with lets get to the specs.

Engines:
*bushed small end, with forced pin oiling and a piston oil squirter on rods for vh engines*

---------------------------------Toyota 22r-----------Toyota 3rz-----------------Nissan vh41/45
Rod

Length C to C-----------------5.83”(148 mm)-------5.8”(147 mm)------------5.8"(147.32 mm)
Big end width-----------------0.866”(22 mm)-------0.866"(22 mm)**---------0.865"(21.971 mm)
Small end width---------------------**-------------------------**------------------0.700"(19.558 mm)
Big end bore------------------2.205”(56 mm)-------2.205”(56 mm)**---------2.160"(54.864 mm)
Pin dia.------------------------0.866"(22 mm)-------0.944"(24 mm)-----------0.866"(22 mm)

**Couldn't find info or could not confirm

Okay so as you can see they are pretty darn similar to one another. So lets start from the top:

1. The 22r rod is 1 mm longer and the 3rz rod is just the right length at 147 mm.

2. Big end width is just a little bigger than the vh, I don't know it you can remove some material from the 22r or 3rz rods? And not to sure what you would do about bearings and that leads to my next point.

3. Big end bore size of the 22r(maybe the 3rz as well, I couldn't find an answer) is a little over a millimeter more than the vh. I'm not sure if you can use a thicker bearing or something? I have no expertise in that area.

4. As you see I couldn't find the small end widths for the 22r and 3rz, but if you are going to be running a custom piston then I guess that's okay?

5. The pin diameter on the 22r is the same 22 mm as the vh, but the 3rz is 24 mm. Not sure but I think the 3rz might have a bit of an advantage due to the lager pin size for added strength, but you will have added weight?

So in conclusion the 3rz looks like the winner between the two, but you have a few things to figure out.

Like:

How will you make it fit due to its width?

What will you do about the big end bore being bigger?

What bearings will you use?

Small end width will be okay because your running a custom piston that can accommodate the small end and the bigger pin?

So there you have it, all my findings so far. Now please jump in and lets talk about why it can or wont work. I say again, I am on expert. I'm just a car enthusiast like you so please don't use this post as fact. Now lets get to figuring this out so we can have more big horsepower vh's!!

Kind regards,
LOOM :dblthumb:

RightHand
Car: Nissan Cefiro

All your questions can be answered on performancevh.com

LOOM

Not sure that that site answers any of my questions, but they have some neat products, thank you.

RightHand
Car: Nissan Cefiro

sells both rods and bearings at a reasonable price. http://www.performancevh.com/#!vh45de/c1h53 unless you're intent on developing your on.

mattd1979
Car: 1990 Pearl White Q45 plain Jane with 266,000 miles. 2015 moonlight white metallic Q70L with 20” wheels, sport brakes and a 5.6L at 58,000 miles.

I know this is an old post that I am reviving but it has been a while since I have been on here. For as long as I have been a member of this site, it was always said that the VH45 came with forged rods along with the forged crank.

Return to “VH45DE / VK45DE / VK56DE Forum”