Possible reasons for blown headgasket after rebuild.

Discuss topics related to the VG and VE series engines.
Z_Fanatic
Car: 91 300zx TT Conversion, 01 Bmw 325I DD

Well I've done a bit of research and I think I've narrowed down the cause for my engine troubles, I had it running for about 15minutes for the first time before it started steaming, I shut it down and the oil had the consistency of 2% milk (coolant in oil after fresh rebuild)

Since I had the block Honed and the heads Decked/pressure checked before it went together I highly doubt that I have a cracked head, or worse a cracked block. I am also certain that I followed the proper torquing method.

Its one of three things, or maybe all of them.

1. The heads were somehow nicked when I set them on the block. ( I kind of doubt this being the issue)

2. I didn't replace my old head bolts with new ones and I didn't chase the threads before installation (kicking myself about that)When I redo the head gasket, I think I'm going with ARP studs.

3. There may have been oil in the block where the head bolts thread into. In other words, when I torqued down the heads to 90 Ft pounds, the oil in the passage prevented the bolt from seating properly leaving the head gasket "loose" Regardless of how this happened, is this feasible?

Also, I used Cometic head gaskets and 6 new pistons/rings and bearingsShould I be worried about the bore of my block since it ran with coolant in the oil causing steam, and since the rings weren't seated yet, I'm afraid this might have ruined my chance to break it in properly once I replace the head gaskets.

Return to “VG30 / VE30 Forum”