Possible CVT transmission trouble.

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
JH51
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa

I have a 2007 versa hatchback. I have had very few problems with it over the years. Steering knuckle and tire pressure receiver replaced within the first year. Other than that I have had great service from this car for 52,000 miles.
One day last week I was getting off an exit of I81. I came down the ramp to a stop. When I tried to accelerate the car moved very slowly. There I was in the middle of the road and it just would go. Finally I shifted back to low and it took off.
After putting it back in drive several times and finding that it still would not pull, but just a little, I pulled over to side of the road. I shut the car off, let it set a few seconds and then restarted it. I have driven it every since and have had no problem at all. But it does worry me because I don't want my wife or myself to get in a situation where it won't go and traffic is coming.
After thinking about it for awhile, the car acted like it forgot or didn't know that I had went from 70 MPH down to a stop and didn't change the transmission to a lower gear (so to speak). My shutting it off and then starting it again seemed to reset the computer or the transmission.
Has anyone else experienced this problem or know what is going on? I had no warning or check engine lights come on. When the car wouldn't go, the motor didn't rev-up when I gave it the gas. It just moved very,very slowly.
Thanks,
JH51

Grizeg
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx SE Coupe

hello, I have a 2012 versa, and it also has the CVT and mine stalled out on me the other day, i had about 250 miles on the car at the time... I came to a stop at a red light, and im glad no one was behind me because i didnt realize the car had cut off the car is so quiet, and when i took my foot of the brake to accelerate the car started to roll backwards... I also everyonce in a while when i stop, i feel like someone is rear ending me.... anyways I know this doesnt help you in any way, but i just thought people might like to know about the problems of the CVT. (future buyers)

kc5f
Car: Versa SL HB CVTs - 2008 (daughter), 2007's (both RIP). I'm now in a silver 2012, my son a silver 2015 Note, my wife a bright yellow 2016 Juke.

JH51: This is the "fail-safe" mode, often referred to on the forum as "limp mode". Folks have run into it after particularly hard stops, and the fix, as you found, is to turn it off for a bit and then restart it. I've never had it happen, but there are lots of threads here that reference "limp mode". Unless it happens a lot, it sounds like your V isn't broken.

From the manual:

"When the fail-safe operation occurs, the CVT will not be shifted into the selected driving position. If the vehicle is driven under extreme conditions, such as excessive wheel spinning and subsequent hard braking, the fail-safe system may be activated .. In this case, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and wait for 10 seconds. Then turn the switch back to the ON position. The vehicle should return to its normal operating condition."

JH51
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa

Thanks for the info. It was the first time that it ever happened to me or my wife. I will read up on it here on the forum and make my wife aware that this could happen and how to correct it. This really bothers me form a safety standpoint. I was left with no power setting in the way of oncoming traffic. At least I am aware if it now and that will help me should it happen again.
Thanks,
JH51

bje86
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback with CVT

I am having the exact same issue right now @ 80,000mi. However, it won't go away no matter how long I leave the vehicle shutdown. It's been this way for about a week now.... I will try shifting it in and out of Low and maybe doing a hard reset by disconnecting the battery before taking it in for a diagnostic.

Thank you all for the info. Has anyone else experienced this problem for a prolonged period of time as I have?

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Hi bje86, welcome to NICO Club. You might want to start a new thread to discuss your issues. Someone around here can likely help you out. The issues don't appear to be the same, since theirs was fixed with a restart and yours is not. Also, if you look at the dates, these people were having a conversation 5 years ago, so you're a little late to get responses.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”