possible alternator issue need advice!

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
EastCoast_Al
Car: 90 300zxtt

As stated in the title having a possible alternator issue with a 90 twin turbo z.

A few months back i started notice while driving in the early morning my speedo, tac, and water gauge would not function and the warning lights for hicas, anti lock, lights, and battery (dimly lit) were all on.
After taking the 20 min drive to work everything would return to normal with the gauges working and lights off, thought maybe a loose ground that some how went away when car reached op temp.

fast forward six months, issue starts again this time i replaced the battery and the issue went away until two weeks ago. this time no matter how much you drive the car nothing happens, so i took the alt out of the car last night to have rebuilt, closest thing i could find to my issue was a guy having trouble with tac and speedo and some one said voltage reg was bad in alt.

my question is did i overlook something, the guy who is rebuilding it says all is well read well 90 amps 14 volts whole 9 yards im at a loss of places to look ive tested fuses traced wires all is good on the car side so it has to this voltage reg yes? even if the guy is saying otherwise

any help would be much appreciated

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

No it doesn't have to be the regulator and the guy is telling you nothing is wrong with the alt.

Can easily be a cluster issue.

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

Could also be a chassis ground issue.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”